Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

7th Grade Science Fair Project

Duster

Hey if you want you can check us out at Youtube, I have a few videos. One is of my Turbojet engine I built, my car, (1970 Plymouth Duster) just type in, zoocat123

Do a search on here for goggles. They are red colored and tuned for 532 nM. If you direct the beam into a blackened box so there are no reflections, there should be no problem. Never shine a laser into someone's eyes or let reflections do it either.
If the beam is directed into a "beam dump" and no one can get into the beam path -- no problems.
How soon do you need to have the show put together?

HMike

Turbo jets are ok for aircraft but quite noisy and not efficient (like a fan jet) until at altitude. How much thrust does it have? Jets benefit from ram incoming air and are a little slow from a stop. OR is yours shaft connected to the wheels?

HMike

You aren't getting anything from China by then -- They are on holiday.
I'll PM you.

HMike

Duster

Not sure how much thrust, I did get it to move on its own which was an accomplishment. It is noisy for sure, I had the sheriff come the the house once. There had been a complaint that "Someone" was running a jet engine. That was me I said, he really liked it but said not to run it on Sunday's. No problem.

Duster --- Check your PM at the top of the page and call.

NOW

HMike

Last edited:
Too bad it's due so soon, with about a month you could make a real beast of a laser from scratch... Maybe a blu 8x? Like, ZAPPppp. :D

Duster

We will see how this goes, by next year he will be in 8th grade and we could do some additional testing with more power for sure. What a great field to get into at a young age. Keep your finders crossed!

David & Dakota --

You have a care package coming priority. Call me when you get it.

HMike

Have you thought of combining the 7 Laser Beams on 1 spot....
A 5mW green laser normally puts out a bit more than 5mW...
That would net you a minimum of 35mW of Laser energy on a
single point.... If not more....

Just a thought....since time is of the essence...:rolleyes:

Jerry

Here is another simple but amazing laser trick to do for a science project. Once you get a higher powered laser, get 2 balloons, 1 clear & 1 black. Inflate the black one inside of the clear one (it's a bit tricky, but not too hard to do). After you have both balloons inflated, one inside the other, aim the laser at the balloons. The inner, black balloon will pop, leaving only the clear one, with the remains of the black one inside. Simple, but effective. rob

77----
I just talked to Dave. One of his 5 mW popped a black balloon today with the help of a lens. He might do this too at close range.
He is making a flat black beam dump box for the display. Adult supervision is manditory.

HMike

Duster

WE Popped a Balloon TONIGHT! I talked with Hemlock_Mike today and he thinks they may have sent us a 40mW laser by mistake insteed of the 5mW. The other lasers we have wont pop any balloons.
So Dakota is very happy about this and we can move on with more testing. Dakota still needs to write a paper on lasers and what he has learned so far. We talked about safety and that will be the FIRST part of his report. Thanks to Mike and everyone on the board for there help. This is FUN Can you post video here on this board? If not we will post a video on Youtube in the next day or so. Dave and Dakota

Duster

Like the idea of combining lasers, that will be very cool. Just wait until next years 8th grade science fair, I see it now, in walks Luke Skywaker (Dakota France)