Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

640mW 635nm red laser CNI PGL-III (peak 699mW)

This is a CNI PGL-III 500mW 635nm red laser from CNI, it is more than 30% overspec with an average of 640mW and over 690mW peak. This laser is not on the CNI online site, I saw someone saying that Laserglow was offering 500mW 635nm and asked CNI if they were offering it since Laserglow uses CNI lasers.

Here are the laser specs from the CNI site:

Wavelenght: 635nm ±3nm
Host size: Φ38x234mm
Output Power: >500mW
Transverse Mode: TEM00
Beam Divergence:<5mrad; focus adjustable
Beam Diameter: 6mm @ aperture; focus adjustable
Switch: Push button

Batteries: 2x C Size 1.5V batteries (Why not just use 18650?)

What I found out:

Output Power: >640mW with a little over 690mW peak.
Transverse Mode: TEM00
Beam Divergence: It not as bad as I thought, but its the most divergent laser I have, will measure later.
Beam Diameter: Its a fat beam. I measured 5mm from the aperture.

My collection is all about beam visibility, so I look for high powered lasers, but all must be handheld, so I looked for a high power Red, then I found CNI 500mW 635nm. It took only 11 days from the day I bought to the day I received the laser, so it was really fast. But CNI told me that they would take 2 weeks to send me the laser, so I think I was lucky.

The package:

No box whasoever, just a bubble wrap plus a anti-static plastic. No big deal for me.
What I got:

- PGL-III Laser
- Small Safety Key
- Small Safety Pin

PGL-III Host

Its a standard CNI PGL-III with CNI quality, you can see that an overall high quality from the aluminium host to paint job. I asked for focus so they added it, its a pretty easy and nice focus ring.

hostv.jpg

As you can see below the aperture is BIG, after all its a fat beam. :)

aperture.jpg

The beam:

I was afraid that like other reds I saw and have this one wouldn't have a good visibility on dark conditions, but I was wrong, this beam is very visible and with a nice color. Its definitely red with a very small tint of orange.

Beamshots:
red1j.jpg

red2h.jpg

red3x.jpg

red5.jpg

Visibility versus 660nm

I have a >300mW 660nm and side by side its like night and day, the 635nm is much brighter (I would say 2.5-3x times brighter) and the beam much more visible. The color is definitely different but as I say, it still red.

Laser Power Meter:

Peak:
635nmpk.jpg

Average:
635nmaverage.jpg

Last impressions:

I must say I was a bit worried about this purchase, I heard many things about high power 635nm and its horrible beam and divergence, but I loved this laser, the color is beautifull and I love the fact the beam is really visible. With CNI lasers you can't go wrong, you get what you pay for. It was not a cheap laser but I think it was worth it.

Cheers! :beer:

Last edited:

anselm

Great review, great laser.
Want to see to that beam in the dark! :D

Voce tem ca uma coleccao... :bowdown:

Yeah, Regina, definitely also show some -spot- shots if you can? I want to compare this to my PGL-III 635. (Is it a square beam?)

The divergence is pretty normal, and at first I was kind of so-so about this laser but I really did warm up to it; the brightness (for red) is something you just don't see very often.

Looks like they FINALLY got rid of that horrible sliding shutter mechanism, too.
(Unlike the rotary shutter for their smaller-beam DPSS PGL-III's, it used to be a little piece of metal that would slide back and forth; it'd bend, break, and never really stay where you put it, anyways.)

Last edited:
Yeah, Regina, definitely also show some -spot- shots if you can? I want to compare this to my PGL-III 635. (Is it a square beam?)

I have to say its very hard to take spot shots from this laser. I had to film it and then crop to get the below pic, and still its a very bad pic.

Its a square, but not an even one, there is a much brighter retangular line inside. The picture below is from 7 feet and the line measures about 0.15 inches and from 20 feet the line is thicker with a size of 0.4 inches and the square around the bright line also measures 0.4 inches x 0.4 inches.

dotq.jpg

Will try better pictures later.

Cheers!

I'm sure that is one BRIGHT red laser.

You definitely have an impressive collection.
I'm not so interested in power anymore but I'd love to see all those lasers light up the night sky!

I'm not so interested in power anymore but I'd love to see all those lasers light up the night sky!

I will try some raibow pictures tonight. :)

Cheers

:drool:

no way I could afford that much 635, but I *DO* want to make a lower-powered pen pointer someday with a 635nm >5mW. That beam profile looks interesting too... Congratulations!
:san:

Well, you can start with these 40mW 635nm diodes from ebay. :)

Cheers

Some beamshots, this 635nm color is beautifull. Used tripod and a bit of fog.
I love blue and green, but a bright red is something especial, its color is so opressive. :) Love it!

red1j.jpg

red2h.jpg

red3x.jpg

red5.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
:drool:

That thing looks like a

:lasergun:

I built a 5mw 635 pen and love the color of it even at that power. That has to look awesome in person. Wish I'd jumped on those $20 40mW 635s on fleabay last week.

anselm

Wow, that is SUCH a beautiful color. Nothing like your ordinary 650nm.
I guess I have to build me one too, albeit a low powered one.
What you have there is just so... Star Wars (for a lack of better word).

Sua coleccao inspira inveja. :crackup:

Benm

Wow.. that is one bigass red laser!

Were you able to measure the actual wavelength?

Were you able to measure the actual wavelength?

Have no idea how to do this. :) I suppose I need some special equipment.
Anyway, the color at least for my eyes is very different from my other RED, a >300mW 655-660nm.

Cheers!