Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

618nm Cryo Laser - More Orange for me!

Hey everyone. I filled another gap in my collection, just in time for Halloween! Does anybody remember Stephan aka farbe2's thread from last year on cryo cooling a red diode into orange? I bought one off him. Finally after some revisions, I have a fully functioning unit tuned to 618nm (we probably could have gotten it down even more with a grating, but I opted against that for a few reasons).

Before we get to pics, just want to say that this has been a long and wild journey to get finished, and I appreciate it beyond words how much work you've put in and the lengths you've gone to deliver such a nice laser despite all the setbacks along the way. Thank you so much Stephan! I love it.

What's especially cool about this laser is that you can watch it change color as it cools down to the cryo operating temperature. This goes from about 633nm to 618nm over the course of a few minutes, starting as red as your normal 635nm pointers and through a fiery shift just manages end up more orange than red (by that, I mean closer to 607nm in appearance than 635nm in appearance):

(589/607/618/635)

Spectrometer reading - my spectrometer accurately measures 604nm (hene), 607nm (dpss), 612nm (hene) and 671nm (dpss), so I think this is fair to claim as accurate as well:

I'll let pictures do the rest of the talking.

Full album here:

julianthedragon

Beautiful. Walking in the room would be like an alternate reality where orange and yellow lasers are the common ones 😅
I was very fascinated with farbe's work on this I'm glad to see it in action

farbe2

Thanks, I am really glad that you like the module even tough it was a process.

I think you might be the member with the most filled "yellow gap" in this forum and you might even be the record holder on this entire planet. (I am only counting privat persons, not companys that sell stuff like that).

Have fun with your wavelengths!

gazer101

Amazing job! Are you just using a peltier element or is there also some liquid nitrogen involved?

Thanks everyone. Yeah I guess I might have the most fleshed out yellow-orange collection now. I don't have a Raman 609nm line on my hene or a 615nm necsel though. Lazeerer may still have me beat since he had a lot of oddball tech.

Stephan can probably give more detail to its design, but it's accomplished by a TEC stack with the diode under vacuum.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Well it’s available however with practicality and cost issues.

Very nice. I'm jealous. If I had more time for hobbies...
It looks great and it's good to see the finished product!
I'm curious - what's the total power consumed by the system? I bet this is one of your less efficient lasers (if you account for the vacuum TEC, and fans) but it'll be interesting to compare it to gas.