Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

612nm returns!.....for a price

Oh how I love orange :)

Bravo on getting your own! They're spectacular tubes. Rare as hen's teeth, but totally worth the hassle!

o9bd.jpg

0q0r.jpg

Last edited:

I just meant "New" to me. But I think it is very low hours.

My friends other tubes were RED, but he gave me a lead on one and I just got another 612 that is NOS, unused!

I'm going to fire it up tonight and put my meter on it to see the power output and then check if it is multi line. Hope it is because it wasn't cheap at all. I'll post some pics if I get a chance.

If its NOS then you should get overspec on the output.

That's why I'm getting 4+mw on a LHOR-0300. They are always over spec for a while. As they age they start to lose some.

Last edited:
If its NOS then you should get overspec on the output.

That's why I'm getting 4+mw on a LHOR-0300. They are always over spec for a while. As they age they start to lose some.

Not necessarily. They will be over minimum output of course, but the amount they are varies tube to tube. Some are over a lot, others....not so much. I've gotten NOS tubes that barely meet spec, and others that output 3x their rated output. It varies with a lot of factors including age, gass fill, gas pressure, mirror quality and alignment, glass distortions and cleanliness (inside), and lots of other factors. And if it truly is new, the the power curve usually comes a bit after initial run time, usually a large number of hours in, crests, and then slowly declines over the life of the tube.

Other color tubes generally don't see gross overpowering like reds do. And REO is known for having odd things happen with their tubes :)

djeric

I finally had some time to measure the NOS orange tube, and I am so happy I did.

I used a brand new Laser Drive HeNe power supply, let the tube warm up and then took several measurements over 15 minutes. I threw out the highest and lowest power measurements and then took an average. The average power was 4.79mW!

I then put a diffraction grating in the beam...and big bonus, it is MULTILINE.

I bought this from Lightparts in Austin Texas and it is definitely an NOS tube. I bought an NOS 594.1 Yellow from them at the same time. I was lucky to get them when I did because these were the last Yellow and Orange tubes they had.

My Yellow/Orange collection now includes these 2 NOS tubes and a very low hours 612 and a like new Yellow I got from Laser Sam.

Check out the pictures I attached. Now I need to get ready for Halloween.

Attachments

• unwrapping.JPG
    unwrapping.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 59
  • my NOS 612nm.JPG
    my NOS 612nm.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 59
  • NOS 612nm.JPG
    NOS 612nm.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 62
  • laser drive supply.JPG
    laser drive supply.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 67
  • multiline.JPG
    multiline.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 4.88mw.JPG
    4.88mw.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 5.03mw.JPG
    5.03mw.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 4.79mw average.JPG
    4.79mw average.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 59
During my eBay scans for a yel/or HeNe I saw your auction today, DjEric. That is one hell of a nice tube. Hope you get your asking price for it. If for some reason you decide to trade, perhaps for a 589, feel free to drop me a line.

Also, congrats on the multiline orange!

djeric

During my eBay scans for a yel/or HeNe I saw your auction today, DjEric. That is one hell of a nice tube. Hope you get your asking price for it. If for some reason you decide to trade, perhaps for a 589, feel free to drop me a line.

Also, congrats on the multiline orange!

Thanks. How does 589 look compared to the 594?

I love the Yellow and the Orange, but I decided I have too many and listed the NOS Yellow and the NOS Orange on eBay. I already have a yellow and an orange each with low hours, and I want to buy some new actuators, vertical fog machines and some other scary stuff for Halloween.

Thanks. How does 589 look compared to the 594?

I love the Yellow and the Orange, but I decided I have too many and listed the NOS Yellow and the NOS Orange on eBay. I already have a yellow and an orange each with low hours, and I want to buy some new actuators, vertical fog machines and some other scary stuff for Halloween.

I didn't see your auction of the orange. This tells me my search scheme isn't as good as I thought it is.

589 looks very similar to 593.5 and 594.1nm. It is obviously ever so slightly yellow, but it is nearly indistinguishable unless you have either of the two nearby wavelengths in hand to compare it to. Cameras tend to pick it up identically in this regard as well.

I don't have any good photos of my 589, but I took a video of it on a clear night not too long ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8u_luO_3CQ

I actually bought this 589 for the very purpose of getting it while it was still available (models this high in output and stability are now extinct, with all the remaining stock being factory seconds that underperform drastically, and production stopping entirely in under a year) so that I could use it to secure a nice 594.1nm HeNe when the 589 stock dried up. I was literally minutes away from ordering a 3.5mW 594.1nm HeNe when I saw the announcement of the 589s. They were the same price and I could only afford one or the other so I decided to err on the side of prescience.

Am I the only one trying to wrap my head around what lines are being displayed here????

It doesn't make sense ... The strongest line is closest to zero order, then it looks orange, and red.

I was thinking 632.8 with heavy output that looks orange, but I don't know. Looks wobbly. Unless it's TEM01 612, and then red...

As for Steve's tube, he identified a lot of lines in his tubes, but not my third orange line.

Am I the only one trying to wrap my head around what lines are being displayed here????

I assumed we're looking at his yellow tube and it was 594 604 611, would it not be? If 632 were lasing it would rob gain from the much weaker 594. You're talking about 10nm+- bandwidth (centered on 594) and the 611 is about 3dB down just past the knee in the reflectance curve because it's another 7nm away. If it were an orange tube then 594 would be weaker and we'd see 632 edging in, with 604 or 611 being the strongest.

I thought it was the 612, the paper says 612nm multiline.

There's no reason why any of those lines should be yellow. The brightest line is the line closes to zero order (you can see light from zero order on the right). So the furthest right line should be the 612. It's the two lines to the left of it that have me scratching my head.

So it could very well be 612, something, then 632. Something looks very off about it...

I hadn't looked at all of the photos he posted, only the beam(spot) shot. LPF hosted photos take forever to load for me.

I was just recently reading about additional lines in the red end of HeNes, but most were Raman between 612 and 632. If that is 612 then the white balance of his camera is quite off, looks far too yellow to me.

That reminds me, Bloom. I pulled up a scholarly article the other day that I think you'll love. When you get a chance hop on skype and I'll forward it to you. Teaser info; second harmonic HeNe.

There are a lot of red HeNe lines, check out my sig :)

629, 632, 635, 640, 650, 652, and I think some upwards of 6606 and 670, but don't quote me on those two.

I'd definitely be interested in this. I had an idea to fired up a nice 1-B tube with a super HR external, and an LBO intracavity.

As I said, between 612 and 632 most I saw were Raman.

Yup, I should be able to sit down at the PC in a few minutes and I'll fire skype up.