Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

plexus

Re: O-like 400mw green - $214 (hitting 600mw) - Review

Well I think just be patient about it. O-like has been very good in the past for me. I usually pay the extra $15 for the faster shipping and I will tell you, its fast (literally 2 days from shipping from china to my door). But I decided to try the slower shipping this time around as I am not in a rush for this. My main interest is out of curiosity: I want to test this laser using well documented IR filters and an LPM with a proper laser testing thermopile and see how it does. I will likely sell it, or the other 532nm I have depending on which one I want to keep.

Considering your scan doesn't have any other info I would say you are correct that it has not been shipped. Keep checking. It seems like O-like maybe had some problems with these lasers and were not able to ship out based on their orders. My instincts say that they had the intentions to ship what they ordered from their supplier but perhaps there were some problems with them when they got them? If this is the case, its good they test their lasers before they ship them.

Don't think I'll be using fast shipping again. Registered airmail seems maybe a week slower. I also ordered one of the 400mw green torches. It arrived at post office yesterday, and I picked it up today.

Haven't had the chance to test the laser out yet. So far as I can tell from past reviews and other information, the only downside to this laser is the very short duty cycle. "Susie" recommended 30 seconds on, 1 minute off. Which is very very short imo. I would prefer a laser that can run safely for 1-3 minutes, but at the price I really can't complain. At 400mw heat is an issue from what little I understand about lasers.

-InfinitusEquitas

From other people's reviews, where it took well more than a 30sec/1min duty cycle to get even noticeable heat that could be felt from the host body, I think Susie's duty cycle is probably just a very conservative CYA figure. And just caution because it seems this might be a new OEM for them they don't yet trust completely.

Although it's just another way that O-Like prefers to undersell overspec devices to ensure customer satisfaction. And one of the things that makes them such a favorite here.

When I finally get mine, I'll be comfortable using it for a minute on/minute off, maybe even two minutes on occasion. (Unless I was doing some kind of marathon all-day experiment with it or something...)

And I'd doubt it'll significantly shorten it's lifespan.

From other people's reviews, where it took well more than a 30sec/1min duty cycle to get even noticeable heat that could be felt from the host body
I think that is not completely true.
I do the dishes in warm water, my mom was screaming when she put her hands in the same warm "warm" aka 50.C lol cause i hardly feel heat on my hands.
What i mean or try to explain is that we don't all experiance the same heat on skin in general.

That is why 1 of my green lasers died cuz i didn't felt it as HOT and so it already was damaged ( r.i.p. little green 50 mW ) :can:

plexus

Green DPSS lasers seem to work optimally at a slightly warm temp. I have a couple different ones and the O-like OLNG I have needs about 7 mins on time to warm up to optimal temp where on my LPM it runs at the highest most consistent output. I think thats the trick with non-actively cooled green DPSS lasers - you need to get them operating in their temp sweet spot. I know for the OLNG-350 this takes, as i said, 7 mins to get there. I have yet to measure the host temp to work out the range.

We shall see how the OL (the laser we are talking about in this thread) works out. It should warm up faster and exceed the sweet spot range quicker because of the smaller host/heatsink size.

I'm sure I'll run over a minute very quickly. Somehow the lasers always come out at events :shhh: and of course other people want to play with them. (Play safely of course. One of my :drunk:friends hit me in the eye with a 50mw greenie, since than I've been very careful.. No damage, but left me rather impressed with the importance of safety.)

The reason I'm concerned about this laser heating up is that I had a cheaper laser while back, and I left it on, on a table pointing straight up... Indoors party so I wasn't worried about anything overhead. Got distracted, left it there, and when I came back the beam was kind of flickering. It was running non stop for at least 20 minutes non stop. Thing is, the host itself wasn't hot at all, but when I took it apart on the spot, the diode itself was very warm. Unfortunately after putting it back together, the laser never worked again. I realize "Susie"'s suggestion is super conservative, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

I do have a question for anyone who knows.. when I came back the dot from the laser had a huge halo with a lot of artifacts in it, kind of like with a cheap flashlight spilling light around a bright center... What caused this?

Also can anyone suggest a decent lpm that is cheap but not awful? Radiant Alpha would be great, but it's never in stock :undecided:

I want a cheap LPM too so @ InfinitusEquitas if you do find a not to expensiffe 1 PM me if you want to .

Cheers

Just letting you all know, in case you were interested, mine is now in customs in Vancouver.

Ordered: 10 Mar 2011
Shipped: 22 Mar 2011
Canada Customs: 30 Mar 2011

It's been awhile. But this is not as frustrating as waiting for my 10440's to arrive so I can use the $200 445nm I bought from wannaburn. and those are coming from the US (whats taking so long???)

It's a quick airmail you got there.

Mine ordered and shipped at the same time but apparently is still in the air.

As for your 10440's, didn't you know that USA is farther from Canada than China? LOL. Don't worry, it'll come soon.

My 1.2W Tactical and 400mw greenie were held up in customs in NYC for 1 day. They definitely didn't open the packaging.

From what I've been reading, it seems like maybe it's a good idea to pay more, but have it sent just via registered, and pay to have the parts shipped separately. Chances of just a host with with no battery or tail cap being tested is low.

Re: O-like 400mw green - $208 (hitting 600mw) - Review

One question left ... then iam done here...

What kind of material is it made off ???

If you're talking about the outside of the host, it's metal, some aluminum variation, imo too light to be steel. Feels very solid.

Re: O-like 400mw green - $208 (hitting 600mw) - Review

If you're talking about the outside of the host, it's metal, some aluminum variation, imo too light to be steel. Feels very solid.

Thx ... and is it brighter than the 150mw Spartan GW ?

I mean is it really 600mw ? --->If yes, it should be brighter than the spartan !!

Am i Right ??

It's WAY more brighter then a 445 1 watt laser , it bring up your primal fear when it's on lol

It's WAY more brighter then a 445 1 watt laser , it bring up your primal fear when it's on lol

Well, I don't know about that, but it did produce a super solid, bright beam.

I had a problem with my 1.2W 445 Tactical from O-Like, they are shipping me a replacement part, but in the meantime i broke away the waterproofing lens to clean the focusing lens. The beam from the 1.2W 445 is ALOT more commanding.... IMO.

There is a slight halo around the beam, but i suspect that is due to the presence of the waterproofing lens. Unfortunately I can only compare to a cheaper supposedly 200mw green, and a 50mw green. Makes the 50mw look like nothing... and it is brighter than the 200mw, but without lpm i can't be sure.

I am disappointed with how quickly it warms up though... Actually not sure if it's the diode becoming hot or maybe the battery, but either way, the host starts to feel warm to the touch very quickly. I'm not gonna risk running this one over one minute.

For another non scientific comparison, it lights red matches at about the same speed as my 250mw Red O-like cute laser. Hard to tell really since both light the match almost instantly, 1 second maximum.

If I had to make the choice to buy this laser again or not, it's not even close.. I'd get it.

I'd love to get my lasers tested. If anyone is in NJ/Tri State area pm me please?

Well, I don't know about that, but it did produce a super solid, bright beam.

I had a problem with my 1.2W 445 Tactical from O-Like, they are shipping me a replacement part, but in the meantime i broke away the waterproofing lens to clean the focusing lens. The beam from the 1.2W 445 is ALOT more commanding.... IMO.

There is a slight halo around the beam, but i suspect that is due to the presence of the waterproofing lens. Unfortunately I can only compare to a cheaper supposedly 200mw green, and a 50mw green. Makes the 50mw look like nothing... and it is brighter than the 200mw, but without lpm i can't be sure.

I am disappointed with how quickly it warms up though... Actually not sure if it's the diode becoming hot or maybe the battery, but either way, the host starts to feel warm to the touch very quickly. I'm not gonna risk running this one over one minute.

For another non scientific comparison, it lights red matches at about the same speed as my 250mw Red O-like cute laser. Hard to tell really since both light the match almost instantly, 1 second maximum.

If I had to make the choice to buy this laser again or not, it's not even close.. I'd get it.

I'd love to get my lasers tested. If anyone is in NJ/Tri State area pm me please?

The only contra for this laser is the heatsink ... A Bigger Host (Hulk) would be better ....

The only contra for this laser is the heatsink ... A Bigger Host (Hulk) would be better ....

I agree. Although to be honest, I love the form factor... Shame diodes don't like heat.

I wouldn't be surprised if o-like is using the same diode in their two more expensive green lasers, but with a better heatsick and IR filter.

The beam is a thing of beauty at night. Dot on anything not pitch black, even from 20 feet away is uncomfortably bright.