Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5W JetLasers PLE-Pro getting hot

SgtHK

Hi. I'm new here. I recently got a 5W PLE-Pro from Jet Lasers. In case you don't know yet, this particular model can be plugged into an AC socket using an 8V AC/DC adapter.

The laser works perfectly. The thing is, it gets particularly hot after around 20 secs from switching it on. Is this normal? It's my first high-powered laser and I'm kinda nervous.

I know it might sound silly, but I feel like if I switch it on for too long it might explode and blow off my hand.

I haven't used it with batteries yet so I don't know if it gets hot the same way. But I'd like to know what you guys think.

BobMc

Welcome SgtHK, it is recommended that newcomers make a welcome post and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself. It makes it easier to offer the correct advice.

https://laserpointerforums.com/f37/

I’m guessing you got the 445 5w. Jl’s page says;

“Working Temperature. 15 to 35 Degree C”

If you think it’s getting hotter than that, you might want to contact Gray at JL, it’s such a nice unit, just to be sure.

Dealt with Gray a few times always friendly and easy to please. So I’m sure he will be able to remedy the situation. Welcome and best wishes. :)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
^^^ What he said ^^^

Welcome SgtHK!

I would also try it out with a good pair of 26650, or 18650 batteries to see if the condition persists.

It won't blow up in your hand while you're using it with AC power.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome SgtHK, it is recommended that newcomers make a welcome post and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself. It makes it easier to offer the correct advice.

https://laserpointerforums.com/f37/

I’m guessing you got the 445 5w. Jl’s page says;

“Working Temperature. 15 to 35 Degree C”

If you think it’s getting hotter than that, you might want to contact Gray at JL, it’s such a nice unit, just to be sure.

Dealt with Gray a few times always friendly and easy to please. So I’m sure he will be able to remedy the situation. Welcome and best wishes. :)

I believe the 15 to 35 C working temperature refers to ambient conditions. Do try it on batteries, but this is a high power laser and it will heat up a bit.

BobMc

I believe the 15 to 35 C working temperature refers to ambient conditions. Do try it on batteries, but this is a high power laser and it will heat up a bit.

You could be right. Don’t know why they wouldn’t specify “ambient temperature” though, it might be worth asking? It does seem a little low for the working temperature of a 5 watt laser.

diachi

What temperature do you consider to be hot? Hot is relative. A temperature increase is to be expected, a laser diode running at 5W is putting out quite a lot of heat into the housing.

You have to consider waste heat. The optical power may be 5 watts, but the waste heat could be much more than that. You do need to run this with batteries. It was made to be run that way. You could measure the power being used by the batteries and subtract 5 watts from that. It should give you an estimate of waste heat in this laser.

SgtHK

Hi, guys. Thank you very much for enlightening me on this subject.

I finished making my welcome post, here:
https://laserpointerforums.com/f37/hello-fellow-laser-fans-102262.html#post1513959

As I mentioned in my welcome post, I'm practically new to the high-powered laser hobby.

As for exactly how "hot" the housing gets, I don't have have a thermometer with me to accurately measure the housing's temperature (planning on getting one). But what I can say for now is: it's not "painfully" hot, but it definitely feels very warm to the touch after having it on for 30 secs. I guess all that heat is expected for a laser of this power rating.

What I'd like to know is, what is its maximum safe operating temperature? I'm planning on doing experiments where I'd have the laser turned on for a minute or more -- but I'm hesitant because I'm not yet sure how far I could have the temperature go up.

I've already contacted JetLasers to get some more insight. Still waiting on their reply.

I'm also still waiting on my batteries to arrive. JetLasers couldn't ship batteries with the unit for shipping reasons, so I ordered my own and they said they'll refund them.

I have been asked by a few of my JL Group Buyers (10 JL GBs) if using the AC power turns their JL 'portable' into a 'lab laser' my answer is definitely NOT.
...MANY/MOST lab lasers have active cooling..like bigger heatsinks-fans and even TECs . The JLs have only a heatsink and it cannot possibly be very big.

'my rule of thumb'
Inside versus outside--

- stands to reason that if the 'outside' of the laser is 'warm' the inside will be warmer or even 'hot' AND hot on the outside means VERY hot inside.
Only if you are willing to take that risk should you do that (NOT covered by the warranty) so it is on you. And this is also just as true when using batteries. You say you are 'new' to hi powers..that is evident by your lack of using a sensible duty/rest cycle.

Gray & I do not agree on cycling..btw

I feel you are not completely understanding how much 5 W of blue actually 'is'. Not all that long ago any handheld over 1W was a big deal --
I do not think there is anything wrong' with your laser ... just your 'duty/rest cycle'-

--I tend to be extra careful and regardless of what Gray suggests... STOP once very warm and give it some rest --at the very least 1 0r 2 minutes. The 'Ambient' temp comes into play in very hot OR cold places.

WHICH' by the way also can cause condensation to form and you do not want that either. If there is snow on the ground--you laser will stay cooler longer and if its summer and hot- you need shorter duty and longer rest cycling.

about our policy on shipping batts.. only a very few shippers ALLOW batts in the package.. so should your package get inspected... that could be bad...:whistle:

secondly-- do you REALLY want the batteries in the box--?? what if upon inspection the 'inspector' wants to put the batts into the laser??
:eek:
50/50 he will choose neg to the front (ALL JLs are Positive to the tailcap ALL) Will 'he' know how dangerous this laser is? Will he know the correct duty/rest cycle?? NO.. you don't know that ....so why should they??

Your JL has reverse polarity protection--BUT should you put the batts in backwards.. that protection AFAIK may protect the pricy diode and sacrifice the cheaper driver.. imo this will not happen unless the user keeps trying when the batts are placed wrong.. No lase?? STOP- check polarity repeated attempts are NOT going to help and may harm.

I do not know how lasers are seen by postal/shipper inspectors in your country....BUT I never suggest getting batts and lasers in the same package.... never.;)

btw getting refunded for buying you own batts is NOT 'normal' for JL--but Gray often goes WAY beyond normal customer service.....
I hope you appreciate that.

summing it up... buy additional lasers if you must have the need for longer than 'normal' duty cycling--rest one-use the other(s)... or buy/build a 5W Lab Laser.
:D
I am always ready to help--PM me anytime. (btw please tell us all about your eyeware...):whistle:
----------------hak

Last edited: