Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5mW* 445nm pointer from laserlands

rhd

What kind of driver would i use for the osram 450 if i wanted to make a keychain pointer? it would have to be powered by a single AAA battery (1.5v) because of the host i want to use.

You'd use a 3.7V 10440 battery and a boost driver. You'd probably be looking at the boost drivers meant for lower power 405s. They can obviously handle the voltage boost required for a 445, but they'd be appropriate for powering lower current 445s like the OSRAM single modes.

thanks for the help! I'll look into the boost drives. i need to power it off 1.5v though, as
This is the keychain i plan on using ( I'm also making a 635 one):

Check out this item I found on eBay:
Blue/Violet Beam Laser Pointer with Keychain (Black)
Link: Blue/Violet Beam Laser Pointer with Keychain (Black) (797734235098) | eBay
(Sent from eBay Mobile for Android)
The problem is it uses a single AAA(1.5v). it will not fit a CR123A or 10440 as the host diameter is only a couple mm larger than the AAA battery itself. im wondering if the stock driver included will work if modified, or i have to find something else (it works fine for the 635 red).

the keychain listed above uses a single AAA. i bought 3 of them from the same seller. two 532's & the 405 listed above. i know most people are probably more familiar with the O-like keychain host which uses a 10440. i like this one cause it's easy to buy batteries for when your away from home. & the case looks like a "mini" new wish pen. they only come in the wavelengths above, so i want to make my own "set" with red & blue added. i'm sure the green dpss driver is going to be unusable for a 450 osram. but im unsure about the 405 driver. i know it's most likely a direct swap to add a 635 5-7mw.Also - i suppose if someone wanted, they could break off the YAG crystal (it's just epoxy'd) from the 532 sink and they would have a pocket 808. There's no IR filter on it either.

midias

the keychain listed above uses a single AAA. i bought 3 of them from the same seller. two 532's & the 405 listed above. i know most people are probably more familiar with the O-like keychain host which uses a 10440. i like this one cause it's easy to buy batteries for when your away from home. & the case looks like a "mini" new wish pen. they only come in the wavelengths above, so i want to make my own "set" with red & blue added. i'm sure the green dpss driver is going to be unusable for a 450 osram. but im unsure about the 405 driver. i know it's most likely a direct swap to add a 635 5-7mw.Also - i suppose if someone wanted, they could break off the YAG crystal (it's just epoxy'd) from the 532 sink and they would have a pocket 808. There's no IR filter on it either.

Both drivers would have to be boost because IR takes more than 1.5 and so does 405. I would probably use the green driver for a 635 and the 405 driver for the 450

that spider III seems a little overpriced. it looks like a common host (just painted silver ). You might want to check ChinaVasion or dinodirect. they now carry 445@>1W. i think they were going for under or around $200. there's always eBay also. dinodirect has free shipping.

really? ok, thanks! I'll test both drivers and post my results. thanks again for the quick reply! any idea (guess) what kind of model# the ir diode might be? i want to look up the datasheet. also make a dummy load.

Hello, I'm new here, been lurking around for a while, finally decided to create an account...
Anyway, I'm looking for a good quality 445nm 5mw pointer... it appears this one you have review claiming to be 5mw is actually running around 45mw. Can someone point me in the right direction of where I can purchase a 445nm at true 5mw output, or where I can purchase the correct diode to DIY? Thanks in advance.

-
Pete

Hello, I'm new here, been lurking around for a while, finally decided to create an account...
Anyway, I'm looking for a good quality 445nm 5mw pointer... it appears this one you have review claiming to be 5mw is actually running around 45mw. Can someone point me in the right direction of where I can purchase a 445nm at true 5mw output, or where I can purchase the correct diode to DIY? Thanks in advance.

-
Pete

Hey Pete...
go look in the Buy/Sell/Trade sections of the Forum.

Jerry

Last edited:
pete- the diode your looking for is made by osram. there are 450nm poiners on ebay. either the diode or pointer will run about $60-80.

pete- the diode your looking for is made by osram. there are 450nm poiners on ebay. either the diode or pointer will run about $60-80.

Thanks for the info, but from what I've seen, these run around 50mw. Is there a way I could tone these down to 5mw if I built my own pointer, or could I modify the driver or power on one? Sorry for noob question, haven had a chance to read all the intro/new member stuff yet.

Ablaze

The reason it is hard to find a blue laser pointer that is truly 5mw is because a blue dot would look very dim. You would need a dark room to see it. This is not good enough for most people, and if you bought a true 5mw blue pointer you would probably be disappointed.

To compare: That blue laser on my avatar is 5 times the power of that green, but they look about the same strength.

Last edited:

midias

The reason it is hard to find a blue laser pointer that is truly 5mw is because a blue dot would look very dim. You would need a dark room to see it. This is not good enough for most people, and if you bought a true 5mw blue pointer you would probably be disappointed.

To compare: That blue laser on my avatar is 5 times the power of that green, but they look about the same strength.

The dot of a 450nm laser at 5mw should be about the same brightness as a 3mw 660nm and plenty visable for presentations. Odd thing though the way my eyes work I can easially see a 30mw 445 beam and not a 90mw 660

I don't think such a diode exists or is commercially available for a reasonable price.
the one you want is the PL 450 by osram. (Opnext also makes a similar one). I was looking for the same thing. the lower blues are harder to see at a distance, even my 1W is hard to see from across the city street (I'm also 3 floors up, so you do the trig). they also tend to fluoresce more than reflect light off matte surfaces. there is a list of available diodes HERE

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/list-existing-visible-wavelength-laser-diodes-62217.html

You could theoretically under power the diode as long as you keep the current just above threshold (should be ok for a single mode). also remember, optical power is different than electrical power & is dependent on the wavelength when comparing apparent brightness to the human eye (just like LEDs) here is the datasheet for the PL450

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNGKZzD0jTs3e3k4O_NFV0GzqI5iJA&cad=rja

midias

I was able to underdrive a 1w diode to <30mw I bet you can get these near 5mw