Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

593.5nm CNI laser & Lithium batteries...?

So, what's the deal with Lithium batteries in these lasers? I think I remember hearing that you're not supposed to put the Lithium batteries in them, but I can't remember why that was said. Last night, I saw my Rigel and I saw some Lithiums and things just kinda happened. My laser is running consistently as bright as it's former peak, it doesn't mode hop, and it's barrel doesn't get hot like it would with alkalines, and on top of that, it appears to have much better battery life.

Why again am I not supposed to use Lithiums in my yellow laser? I'm confused lol. I've always used Lithiums in all of my lasers until I got the Rigel, but I just don't see what reason there could be to not use them in this one now. ;D

Do you mean lithium as in e[sup]2[/sup] or as in 10440? The former should be fine, but if you've installed the latter, you've been inordinately lucky so far and you should remove them immediately if not sooner.

Yeah I'm using an e-squared battery (how the hell do you make the superscript 2?!). I figured that's what it meant by lithiums. I can't get over how much of an improvement the e-squared battery made in my Rigel.

There's a character in character map: ² , but It's easier to highlight a 2 and click the "sup" button: [sup]2[/sup]

No, e[sup]2[/sup] are better for most pointers. When referring to lithium, most people mean lithium ion rechargeable cells which are 3.7V instead of 1.7V. 1.7V is just a hair above the rated 1.5V. 3.7V is far too high. But yes, by all means, continue using the energizers!

Just something I noticed...

I went to walgreens to get batteries and I discovered that the lithium AAAs are now rated at 1.5V
I was surprised because they used to be rated for 1.7V.
They must have lowered the voltage to reduce the risk of damage to electronics but I wanted the 1.7V batteries specifically.

Is it just where I live or is it all e[sup]2[/sup] batteries now?

I don't think I'd want to use rechargeable batteries in any of my lasers - not long ago I got some NiMh AAAs and put a couple in one of my 5mw cheapie red pointers, and boy was that a mistake - either that, or I just got a set of bad batteries. The whole laser got hot to the touch and the plastic covering on the batteries melted a little. I though it had killed the laser, but it didn't. However, I was just super-glad I didn't use those batteries in my Rigel - it would be one thing to kill a $10 laser, but not a $300+ one!

I doubt they changed the construction. It sounds like more of a marketing reason. It reinforces the notion that they may be used anywhere regular AAA or AA batteries are used.