Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

589nm misbehaving - wrong wavelength!!

Sta

Last edited:
He sold a 594 pointer to me, which I then sold on to styropyro. he may be talking about that one, as it would switch to green (532) briefly on startup.

That pointer had some really odd characteristics in general. It loved to go green when cold, and if it was really cold, it would refuse to lase yellow at any observable strength for a minute or more. It would then peak at a power strong enough to see the beam in the dark (which for a 594 POINTER is actually quite impressive) and the barrel would get very hot. This laser always preferred running hot, and was a remarkably stable example once you got it nice and toasty, but ultimately that made it quite hard to enjoy in anything other than controlled conditions.

On the other hand, the Spartan 589 I have prefers it nice and cold, which will be a good thing when I get round to star pointing in the winter with it.

I love DPSS lasers because in many ways they are almost like living breathing beings.

Sta

I cooled this laser down for longer than usual today, and found it emitting at FIVE wavelengths - 532 and four yellow/orange wavelengths, one of which was flickering. Then it went to all-589 and shifted to 593.5. This laser is weird!!
Also, I got some new 4.35v LG E1 18650 batteries today, it seems to like those much better than 4.2V 18650s.

Last edited:

Pman

I know you say it's weird but it also sounds kind of a cool one of a kind too with lots of output.

Sta

I know you say it's weird but it also sounds kind of a cool one of a kind too with lots of output.

It's incredibly cool! I am so glad to have it, I suppose it was a stroke of luck that my original unit broke! :D

I just checked, and the weaker of my two Gearbest 532s appears to be emitting at 3 lines as well. Of course, I don't have a spectrometer to check. :whistle:

Well, evidently 532nm DPSS lasers producing multiple wavelengths must be fairly common. I just checked and two of five lasers I checked emit ~4 wavelengths (of green of course).
I don't know if it could be raman shifting at all since from my quick observation the wavelengths don't look perfectly spaced, IDK.
The best I could make out the extra wavelengths would be very roughly 536nm, 539nm, 540nm. (assuming the brightest one was 532nm). Of course this is a quick and not precise measurement.

Pman, I bet you could check your massive collection of Fasttech 532nm modules to find samples to test.

EDIT: I have at least four extra lines and possibly a fifth for 532nm DPSS. (wavelengths were approximately: 532nm, 537nm, 542nm, 545nm, 550nm), although my measurements seem a little high.

Last edited:
sweet! The first of my "532"s i put through my grating has 3 lines from a cold start 2 lines at 532+ the 3rd faint one was much more on the yellow side than my 543 HeNe. Once it warms up it is 532 only.

I don't think I've ended up with green from mine, but I have gotten 5 yellows before. Keep in mind cooling below the dew point is bad for the laser, especially for the diode facet.

Sta

Re: GUIDE: Which company should I buy from?

I don't think I've ended up with green from mine, but I have gotten 5 yellows before. Keep in mind cooling below the dew point is bad for the laser, especially for the diode facet.

Of course. I only cool it on an air conditioning vent, never in the fridge or freezer. :beer:

yup. and just a note here...just cuz you see multiple dots, does not mean they're all laser lines. They can be caused by other phenomena too, but I don't feel that's the case with these. I haven't got enough info to prove either way yet. there are a slew of emissions that come from Nd 3+ that are not used or referenced hardly ever that can be at play here. 1064nm is just the most widely known.

Last edited:
^ Exactly that.

Though @trencheel303 note it was the 589, not the 593.5 that did the plethora of lines. The 593.5 I caught doing 532 and 671. Dunno if either of you reproduced that...

For the 589, I think that, if these lines are lasing, they might be as follows: 589nm, 588.3nm, 586.2nm, and 585.2nm. If you'd describe the 'fifth' line as an unripe banana yellow, throw in 550.9nm. If you'd describe it as more orange, it could be 590.2nm, 592.3nm, or 593.5nm. This is assuming that
  • The lines are lasing
  • The coatings are not filtering other lines out fully
  • Only two lines are being combined in a SFG process (there could be 3 or more, but as I understood it the complexity/feasibility goes way, way up)

Via my own data gathering spreadsheet found here under the ND:YAG tab. I won't say everything is 100% accurate, but as far as I know these would be candidates.

Also, I got some orange light out of a 520nm diode. Wasn't coherent, but it most certainly was not in the green spectrum. This was tested and confirmed. Original thread here.

Last edited:

Sta

Interesting theory ZRaffle. However, all of the lines are exactly, or almost exactly, evenly spaced. I will have a picture up tomorrow, the second and fourth lines appear to be 589 and 593.5.

Sad thing is that the eyes are not good wavelength judges. especially when comparing so many close together. after looking at 584, 589 looks orange like 594. its really not so easy to compare. ultimately unless you put it on a spectrometer, it's all just speculation. Either that or you can put it on a VERY expensive very dense diffraction grating with huge amounts of lines/mm like 1200 plus and do the math to figure out the wavelengths that way, but that wouldn't be as reliable. I really need to dig up my spectrograph of my yellows. some of mine do odd stuff like this too. I even put one on a seperate pump and got odd behavior too. I'd love make a lab laser out of one of these, but it'd cost me a fortune to do. money I don't have sadly.

Last edited:

Sta

I suppose my wording was poor; I was trying to say that the second and fourth lines are the two that it settles on.

Sta

Hello folks, here's the image of the five dots; the first and last ones flicker on and off a lot.
Second and fourth lines are the ones it settles on.
9qqUWpB.png

Last edited: