Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

589nm 50mW Dragon Lasers Spartan Yellow Laser Review

Pouie

Link to laser: Yellow Laser Pointers : Dragon Lasers

Cost: $499 USD

Delivery Time: 10 days (8 business days) from ordering. Very impressive! (Philadelphia)

Weight: 9.2 oz.

Length: 8 inches or 200mm

Power: Using LaserBee AX (3.1W) the laser slowly ramps up to 40mW over the course of 20 seconds from a cold start. After that point it does in fact average right around 50mW - Ranging from 40-60mW hanging closer to the 48-54mW range. The rated duty cycle is 1 minute but it can and has gone longer than that without issue. I felt safe doing so since in one review someone left it running for a half-hour, I believe.

Review: I really love the amber color of this laser as well as the build quality. I enjoy shooting that amber beam into the night sky.

The Laser:

PBUbqE5.jpg

LeAzgkW.jpg

IGTMpOf.jpg

Indoor Beam Shots:

ThcTTz1.jpg

Pw75mhc.jpg

jQqnhvv.jpg

(Above) The camera's focus makes the beam look focused. It is not a focusable head.
CgdQGQ3.jpg

Outdoor Beam Shots:

1Ga0vVG.jpg

kkCuWAI.jpg

32c9bFA.jpg

450nm 532nm 589nm:

xvYuWrL.jpg

LPM:

jViEn7c.jpg

Dot at 20ft:

xeLA62d.jpg

BobMc

Nice write up and great pictures. Those beam shots are more than worth :drool:ing at.

Like your three colored shot, with that yellow, it really makes the color's stand out. :gj:

Is the spot that big at 20 feet or is it just the ISO/shutter speed making it look so big? I can get a shot of mine at 20ft tomorrow night for some comparison. Mine isn't perfect, but it doesn't look that big I don't think.

I'm a fan of the glossy look your second indoor beamshot has! Nice pics for sure :)

Encap

Glad to see it finally arrived safely

Nice review and photos. Beautiful and relatively rare wavelength and output power.

You are one of the few lucky to have one.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Pouie, nice to see that you received your DL Spartan with no issues. :yh:
Thanks for sharing those nice 589nm beams, those golden rays are always a treat to see!

Very good review and wonderful photos. Enjoy your new 589nm pointer. I hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of it.

Razako

Nice review, 589nm lasers are quite impressive technological gadgets for sure. Good to see you got a stable unit which performs up to spec as well.

Pouie

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone! People are so nice here.

Is the spot that big at 20 feet or is it just the ISO/shutter speed making it look so big? I can get a shot of mine at 20ft tomorrow night for some comparison. Mine isn't perfect, but it doesn't look that big I don't think.

I'm a fan of the glossy look your second indoor beamshot has! Nice pics for sure :)

Yeah it really is that big at 20 feet. Almost as big as the door knob. I look forward to seeing yours for comparison. :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone! People are so nice here.

Yeah it really is that big at 20 feet. Almost as big as the door knob. I look forward to seeing yours for comparison. :)

As long as it is a real member this community is like family.

That does seem a little big. IIRC, mine was the size of a quarter at ~50 feet or so. Now you just need a beam expander to go with it.

Pouie

Could be something to do with the white paint on the door. Here it is at 34ft on my hand.

lg81ESh.jpg

Edit: Slightly bigger than a quarter

Last edited:
Man, that seems awfully large for such a short distance. For that kind of money, I think I'd complain. It sure looks bigger than a quarter. Unless you have very tiny hands. The splash alone covers half your hand.

Last edited:
Could be something to do with the white paint on the door. Here it is at 34ft on my hand.

lg81ESh.jpg

Edit: Slightly bigger than a quarter

Ouch! :(
That dosn't seem normal spot size on that close distance... Hopefully you can sort it out.

Nexgen

I’m getting mine on monday, I HOPE IT WILL BE OVERSPEC PLS GOD 100mW :can:

Guys I can’t sleep at night thinking about that. I really want overspec, I really don’t wanna mess with issues :(

I see you getting a large dot— you should pm Adam from DL about that.

Last edited: