Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

559nm Build in Vintage Flashlight

Hi again, looks like I was late to the party on the 559nm lasence posts. I've had this for a while now and finally got around to getting decent pictures.

I've had the host even longer... failed experiment between Rich (Lifetime17) and I with the OPT modules. I've always wanted to use this one in particular for its nuclear look containing radioactive yellow-green beam. He was surprised when I told him years later that I finally got it to work with a lasence module.

Due to my prior experience with DPSS modules, I knew this wouldn't be an easy build because of the case (+) IR diode. I also couldn't trace the driver to find out if the + or - end was limiting current...

So, I opted to just not deal with it at all. Yup. Scotch taped the hell out of that thing. The modules don't really get warm at least, so it should be fine especially considering how big the heatsink is.

I have a 561nm head to compare the color with. I can only tell a difference side by side, honestly even then it's pretty difficult.

(561nm on left, 559nm on right)

Anyway, just a few pics to leave off with (all are color corrected, most cameras only see this as pure green):

Also double post for any wondering how I do color correction. I use paint.NET and the Kill Color Keeper plugin. This is a lot easier than messing with color graphs, hue, etc.

Open the picture and tool. You may need to adjust the color and sliders depending on the picture:

Then create a layer under that with the color it should be

Then merge it down and you're done

bulukaki

That's a really cool host!

Also, thanks for noting that the diode is case positive.

Sowee7

hey, at least you got one of these modules, lasence said they are running out and they will need a lot of time for new ones, i own more than 10 of the smaller 561nm modules

Output power? Stability?

I really like these yellow-green modules. I have a <5mW pulsed 561 nm module from an early batch - It's surprising how bright it is!
The vintage host looks pretty cool. You could use a cheap driver made for 808 nm pump diodes. They're not the greatest but they work well enough for these kinds of situations.

Thanks everyone!

Output power? Stability?

I really like these yellow-green modules. I have a <5mW pulsed 561 nm module from an early batch - It's surprising how bright it is!
The vintage host looks pretty cool. You could use a cheap driver made for 808 nm pump diodes. They're not the greatest but they work well enough for these kinds of situations.

I lucked out and got a really good module, mine's running around 35-40mW, super stable too and CW at that. I passed on the smaller ones because I just do not like pulsed. I'm using the driver they included, these are more tolerant of input voltages than the smaller modules (I also have a 545 from them), different driver architecture for whatever reason. It's good enough though is a bit odd because sometimes it starts in a low power mode for a quarter of a second then jumps up to full power, but not all the time. If it fails I'll switch to a tried and true cheap driver from a 532... I have a spare just in case.

love the host - not so sure about the scotch tape 🤔
Honestly I wasn't either... Holding up well so far though. These surprisingly don't get warm, pretty much at all. I'm more worried about the set screw breaking through and shorting something out. One month of owning this thing, hasn't happened yet so I'm staying optimistic.

Sowee7

Output power? Stability?

they still make those modules, infact, those are the ones tht i have 10 of, ive opened some up and i saw the crystal inside, the crystal was pretty big

i own way to much lasence stuff (as you can see from my signature) i also own there 1w 545nm dpss

Last edited:
I am hoping to see those modules for sale on aliexpress and ebay sometime soon or is there a link to where I could buy sometime soon ? Thanks.

You're almost better off contacting them from any listing then asking what they have on hand, at least in my experience with them so far. They are usually backordered

I lucked out and got a really good module, mine's running around 35-40mW, super stable too and CW at that. I passed on the smaller ones because I just do not like pulsed. I'm using the driver they included, these are more tolerant of input voltages than the smaller modules (I also have a 545 from them), different driver architecture for whatever reason. It's good enough though is a bit odd because sometimes it starts in a low power mode for a quarter of a second then jumps up to full power, but not all the time. If it fails I'll switch to a tried and true cheap driver from a 532... I have a spare just in case.

I also have a 570 nm module set up with a Groove V2 linear driver. This module is temperature sensitive and only performs well in a narrow temperature range. I guess I didn't get as lucky as you.
I may try dropping the power to the diode and seeing if this helps stabilize it a bit but eventually it's going into a small benchtop housing with TEC. For this application, the diode pin polarity doesn't matter, so the Groove V2 works just fine. I always keep a few of these drivers in stock. They're really handy in a pinch.

Ramon555

I really like these yellow-green modules. From where I can buy those Modules?

An alibaba seller called lasence sold me mine. Optlaser (also on alibaba) has their own versions as well.

Just note these modules are in short supply. Would advise staying in contact with them to see when any are available. 570+nm I would call yellow, 560-nm I would call green... anything between is up for debate.

ZRaffleticket! Good to see you're still here, man.

I've been away from the hobby for a while, but am cycling back into it again, seeing what's new, and am planning some new builds. (Every time I leave and come back to this hobby, it gets so much better.) You were the one who inspired me to do my own vintage flashlight builds many years ago (I did several solid copper builds.) Glad to see you're still here and still doing vintage builds.

Damn, that 559 looks pretty in that Ranger. And I love the period nuclear theme. Perfect. I have a gorgeous 3-cell NOS vintage chrome Winchester host that I'm currently looking for that special diode for. The chrome on these old flashlights always looks great with these colors.

Giannis_TDM

Looking at that driver, it is doing high side sensing (+) with the classic dual opamp + pot + vref +shunt + CV ic