Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

520nm vs 532nm, which would you prefer?

Which of these is the better option? Which would you prefer?

• Total voters

IsaacT

I am trying to decide if I want to get:

1. Laserbtb HL532-300 HERE ; >300mW of 532nm Greatness(some have had up to 500mW)

-or-

2. DIY 520nm Laser in MS-V4 from Sinner ; possible powers unknown as of yet, will no more after the Murder Testing.

Any and all feedback is appreciated, if you have reasons for it please let me know(Divergence, Color, Price, etc). I cannot really do both at the moment unless I sell some stuff so I really need to chose one.

Thanks,
Isaac

ARG

I would wait for the green diode data before deciding - it's anyone's guess what they can output until one gets murdered :p

IsaacT

Yeah, I figured as much. Inaction turns my heart and cuts me to the quick. All I can think about is lists of parts, designs for hosts, and milliwatts. Sweet, sweet milliwatts. And the wavelengths which carry them to surfaces so that mine eyes might behold the slight reflections from the air.

Seriously, my imagination can taste the photons on the air and they are like nectar from the gods. To do without what one has dreamed is impossible when impatience runs rampant through one's veins.

-Isaac

You thought about how to phrase that reply for quite some time didn't you?

Same thing happens to me all the time, bout a month ago all I could think of was the best way to shoot fire out of the palms of my hands! O_O MUA HA HA HA HA!!!
I kept drawing out crude designs and working out flaws... turns out it's hard to find a valve that you can open linearly with tension of your wrist. (might have found one though)

Anyway, wait till you know everything you can until you jump on something (it also helps if you cant afford anything at the time you want it, more time to think)

IsaacT

Haha, not all that long actually :p

But yeah, the worst part is that I can afford one but I will definitely wait until I know everything before proceeding to the purchasing phase.

And fire from your hands would be awesome! If you ever fix up something like that you HAVE to show us some pics and maybe video.... I used to have designs for a bullet that would contain a combination of liquid chemicals such that when the bullet hit the body, the tip would crumple and the chemical would be released. When oxygen touched it it would catch on fire though. Who knows if it would work, but it made for a cool idea.

NOTE: I would never use such a thing on someone, I just thought it would be the equivalent to a flaming arrow for modern times. "Bullet didn't kill you? Your blood is on fire, good luck." I swear I am not crazy. That was a long time ago....in 8th grade. So like 9 years or so ago.....

Anyway,
Cheers.

Last edited:
This may be far off the intended thread topic, but you seem interested.

Well the flaming blood thing is creepy, and you'd basicly have a hollow point explosive at that point (ouch)... but as far as incendiary rounds go
Glock 17 Explosive Ammo! - YouTube

and as for the flaming hands, this is where the idea came from. His plans are private though so the only help I get is watching the movies.
K-TON Palm Flamethrower

Of course I could do this electronically, but then i'd need more batteries. I prefer mechanical. Also, I cant bring myself to make a cheesy one with a butane can on my wrist.

Liquid propane (acheived by flipping an unprotected propane tank upside down) would put on a nice and dangerious effect :eg:

mwang

I would personally go for the 520nm, because I like that color better and it's a rarer wavelength. And yes, waiting for the murder test is probably a good idea, but I would go for the 520 anyways. :)

Well although the 520 is sweet and for now kinda rare. It is unlikely it will be a rare exotic wavelength for long.

The skylaser can be overspec and has a certain divergence. I personally dont know if the 520 divergence is comparable to the skylaser 300. Also depends on what power you want. In my opinion i would choose a 250mW 520 with good divergence over the skylaser.. If it only did 100mW or less i'd be clueless what to do as their both really nice.

Greetings,,

EDIT: Also skylaser is now selling an affordable HL520 which in the future when we know more about the diode and potmod it to a higher current.

Last edited:
While some of the HL532-300s were way overspec, mine came in underspec, generally puts out around 200mw, highest I ever saw it test was 283, never got it that high again. Its luck of the draw with those 532's. Id probably go with the 520nm either way.

a high power 532 is a real treat. but....i'd wait until we have some answers from the 520's, i hope it's beam specs are good.

sinner

I agree with offroadfreak8582, but on the other hand not long ago Gb's held by offroad, sm and blord's PL-520 50mW were bought for >$500 , So its up to you if you want to speed up your wavelength collection or you want a higher power greenie :beer:

P.S: Data is here, DTR did some preliminary test, these diodes are very happy at 50mW and over driving them didnt do much good, adding 50mA adds 3-5mW after 50mW..

Here's the thread :
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/osram-pl520-50mw-520nm-laser-diode-81581.html#post1172049

Cheers, :beer:

Last edited:

IsaacT

Yeeeeaaahh.....so I jumped the shark and bought a 520 diode from DTR before the results were even in yet. Hopefully I am not disappointed by my purchase. Somehow I doubt I will be.

WB..just hold on to that diode until the Krytons come in. By then, one will have been murdered, and you can have a bad a$$ green Groove!

IsaacT

I had a groove from the last GB before moh's but I sold it and I didn't get one of the ones moh was selling.

IsaacT

I have made two 520's since this thread was made and purchased an 800mW 532nm CNI laser.