Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mW 445nm Blue Labby - What do you guys make of this?

rhd

Has this been discussed yet?

NEW BLASER 50mW 445-450nm 12v Blue Laser Diode Module
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270808460900&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1123

Here's what has me scratching my head:

1) It's cheap, $67. This screams "typical KasEO diode" to me.
but
2) It's only running at 50mW.

Of course a typical KasEO diode can run at low powers like 50mW just as easily as at high 1W+ powers. But why would a Chinese gadget maker run a diode at 50mW when they could just as easily run it at 500 ? That's not how they think generally. I can't imagine them so drastically under-powerful a typical 445 when they're trying to sell them.

Thoughts? We know there are at least three blue single-mode diodes in the 50mW power range. Osram, Opnext, and Nichia all have blues in this power range, shipping.

I'm also conscious of the fact that this was one of two sellers involved in the "638nm madness" we all experienced last month. That said, this guy (buyhub4u) immediately refunded my purchase when I pointed out the problem with those not-638s.

mfo

Has this been discussed yet?

NEW BLASER 50mW 445-450nm 12v Blue Laser Diode Module
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270808460900&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1123

Here's what has me scratching my head:

1) It's cheap, $67. This screams "typical KasEO diode" to me.
but
2) It's only running at 50mW.

Of course a typical KasEO diode can run at low powers like 50mW just as easily as at high 1W+ powers. But why would a Chinese gadget maker run a diode at 50mW when they could just as easily run it at 500 ? That's not how they think generally. I can't imagine them so drastically under-powerful a typical 445 when they're trying to sell them.

Thoughts? We know there are at least three blue single-mode diodes in the 50mW power range. Osram, Opnext, and Nichia all have blues in this power range, shipping.

I'm also conscious of the fact that this was one of two sellers involved in the "638nm madness" we all experienced last month. That said, this guy (buyhub4u) immediately refunded my purchase when I pointed out the problem with those not-638s.

Some people do have uses for lower powers.

I actually saw this the other day but didn't pay attention to the price. I may buy one eventually to see what they actually are.

mfo

No doubt on that point. But I'm still surprised to see a Chinese gadget seller recognize this.

I guess.

Are you ever going to put together that GB dude?

rhd

I guess.

Are you ever going to put together that GB dude?

You know, thanks to Pontiac (in a way) I actually might. I was saving up to run a MOD38 and a MODC groupbuy first. But with Pontiac creating some really kick ass copper modules, there's really no need.

I might do that GB after all :)

mfo

You know, thanks to Pontiac (in a way) I actually might. I was saving up to run a MOD38 and a MODC groupbuy first. But with Pontiac creating some really kick ass copper modules, there's really no need.

I might do that GB after all :)

The RGB one, right?

rhd

Yes sir :)

I'm concerned about some design elements though, so the design isn't ready to go. I actually need some additional time with it.

That module may just be a mislabeled 405nm, it happened before in a pointer case.

is it possible to harvest the driver, diode module, ect from this and put it in a portable host?
or is it not possible?
(wrong type of driver, too big, ect...)