Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

505nm and 480nm diode RESULTS

• Thread starter Deleted member 16589
  • Start date

I hope to have some results today. I have been extremely busy these past few days. It take quite a lot of time to mount each diode to test and unmount them to test the next one. I used to test them at threshold without mounting and that went much faster.

Sorry this has taken so long to get started on. I have measure three diodes so far. Dr.Laser's one diode had no markings around the diode window, which was strange and I spent some time trying to see if it was there, only faded. But, no number at all. It measured a disappointing 503.7nm at threshold but would rise from there quickly as it warmed up.

The next two belong to Albert1007xd and have micro-printing around the window as SB217HL91 and SB217HN91. They measured in the order I stated them as 501.7nm to 502.0nm for the first one. It was very a very low wavelength and I spent a lot of time trying to get it right. The second was also a disappointment at 505.3nm.

So, it looks like a crap shoot of what you might end up with, but it seems that some are now measuring what they are claimed to be. I will try to get the other ten done soon, if not all today.

Last edited:
Sorry this has taken so long to get started on. I have measure three diodes so far. Dr.Laser's one diode had no markings around the diode window, which was strange and I spent some time trying to see if it was there, only faded. But, no number at all. It measured a disappointing 503.7nm at threshold but would rise from there quickly as it warmed up.

The next two belong to Albert1007xd and have micro-printing around the window as SB217HL91 and SB217HN91. They measured in the order I stated them as 501.7nm to 502.0nm. It was very a very low wavelength and I spent a lot of time trying to get it right. The second was also a disappointment at 505.3nm.

So, it looks like a crap shoot of what you might end up with, but it seems that some are now measuring what they are claimed to be. I will try to get the other ten done soon, if not all today.

Hi Paul,
The lower wavelength one is the HL91 or HN91?

Nice to have one soo close to 501nm :D

It's the HL91 one, Albert. It is one of the lowest wavelengths I've seen with these. The other one, HN91, is a real 505nm diode.

Last edited:
I still have ten of these to measure for Joeybab3. Need to get started on that soon.

@ Albert1007xd, If you want to keep that very low WL diode low, reconsider putting it into a pen build. There is absolutely no heat sink in there and it will shift higher very quickly. If you allow it run hot it will have a very short lifespan and will fail from COD.

Last edited:
I still have ten of these to measure for Joeybab3. Need to get started on that soon.

@ Albert1007xd, If you want to keep that very low WL diode low, reconsider putting it into a pen build. There is absolutely no heat sink in there and it will shift higher very quickly. If you allow it run hot it will have a very short lifespan and will fail from COD.

Not many other options available, considering that it will need a host that admits 2x li ions, without NUBM44 heatsinking level for a low power single mode.

Anyone has any host suggerence that could fit well in a hand or a pocket?

If you don't want to use the pen, C6's are usually pretty easy to work with.

If not, try talking to Rich (Lifetime17) about some options. I'm very happy with the hosts I have from him.

Last edited:
so where are you all getting these diodes from besides DTR? If I could get a ~500nm one that would be fantastic, I would happily pay the full $35 or so.

Not many other options available, considering that it will need a host that admits 2x li ions, without NUBM44 heatsinking level for a low power single mode.

Anyone has any host suggerence that could fit well in a hand or a pocket?

I still use the 501B flashlight hosts. You can get the flashlight on eBay for under $4.00 and Rich, Lifetime17, has heat sinks for them cheap. You could get everything you need for way under $20.00. That is what I would do with it. Look at my 477nm in my signature.

Last edited:

Great work paul!
Sub 502nm is nice and the lowest wave-length we saw here so far (afaik).
I want this one :yh:
Are the remaining 10 you have also the HL91 ones? Would be very exiting to see their wl measured. Hope the 501.7 nm is not the only one freak diode from these batch, but the norm!

Great work paul!
Sub 502nm is nice and the lowest wave-length we saw here so far (afaik).
I want this one :yh:
Are the remaining 10 you have also the HL91 ones? Would be very exiting to see their wl measured. Hope the 501.7 nm is not the only one freak diode from these batch, but the norm!

Don't know yet. Have to break out my loupe and look at every one of them.

Don't know yet. Have to break out my loupe and look at every one of them.

I understand. I am thinking if I should buy some of these diodes. The shortest one I have now is running at 502.0nm and it would be great to get some more of them with the possibility of a shorter one. Looking forward to your measurements.

Singlemode

Ps: Great work Paul!