Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

500mw laser HELP NEEDED

i have had a 50mw green laser in the past and thought it was quite cool, so i became intersted in lasers. the other day, i built my first laser, it is a 500mw 638nm mitsubushi ML501P73-02 diode with a 3.6V~16V 925mA Constant Current driver. i assembled it all in a c6 flashlight host and i was really pleased. it was burning really well and i was impressed however after only 2 days, the laser became significantly less bright and a lot less powerful, it no longer burns and is not very bright at all. any advice would be appreciated because im new to lasers and dont know the cause of the problem.

check battery voltage and tell us the voltage?, maybe use higher capacity battery(s) , Thats your mission for today

ARG

I deleted your other thread, please don't make duplicate threads on the same topic :)

What driver is it using?
Are you using two cells or one cell?

DTR

Yep the specific driver would be helpful or a link to where you got it.

DTR

Well that is a LED driver not a laser driver. I would not trust an expensive laser diode to a LED driver unless you have personally scoped each one to make sure it is clean and has no overshot. Did the diode die on starup? If so it may have been getting a overshoot on every start then finally gave out.

Last edited:

DTR

Yep both the 1.5A or 1.8A pill from SL will slide right in or and X-drive would work for you. With the X-drive you would use the current LED driver you were using as a contact board removing the components off it or get a contact board for the pill. Keep in mind if you were only using a single 18650 before you will need to switch to two 16340's or two 18350's for any of the above drivers with a M140.:beer:

Faker

Wow, how insightful.;):p

I could have said try fresh batteries, but it is possible the power supply is fine and the problem lies between the battery and the laser. Broken wire?

Sarcastic comments are not really called for.:san: