Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50 mW green module from O-like [A LOT OF HEAVY PHOTOS]

Okay folks, today I finally recieved my 50 mW green module from o-like, after waiting from November 20th (payment made), shipped 2 days later.
That makes it 32 days waiting time...
Considering Christmas holidays and so, you cannot really object on that.

Well, time for some pictures now, no?
DSC00112.jpg

Package is nice and small, glad to have it finally :p

DSC00113.jpg

Contents of padded envelope, a bubble wrapped package, and printed instructions stating correct voltage and polarity! Very nice !

DSC00114.jpg

Removing the bubble wrap reveals a nicely packaged module protected with styrofoam.

DSC00115.jpg

And after the foam, we finally see a module encased in antistatic bag, very tightly fit!

Well I took the liberty of doing some paintjob on stracked new wish style host I had a spare. It is (obvously) going to be used with my new module.
DSC00116.jpg

Well, waiting for the paint to dry (2 times) was a pain in da a$$.

So, installing the module in a pen host: ( wall of photos from now on)
DSC00122.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00136.jpg

You can see here that the beam is off center a bit... explained later

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

Nighttime beamshots. Note that I was using some Sony cybershot palm sized camera, not my usual e400 or e500 :(
So, beam is a lot more visible in reality
DSC00145.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00150.jpg

Don't throw stones yet, I ordered my laser goggles november 15th, a'ight?

DSC00153.jpg

Pointing in well lit room.

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

So, let's conclude the review:
Packaging: TOP TOP, no comments.

Performance of the module: Since I still don't have an LPM, I cannot say precise power output, although it is identical to my 50mW green laser that I believe is performing overspec, since it can sting bare skin.
NOW here we come to my cons...
The weird beam output.... You see, a beam at aperture exit is about 2.5 mm or 3 mm.

Then it appears to be narrowing as it travels, where the thinnest part is somewhere around 2 meters, about 1.5 milimeters, and then it widens again.

Also, when you look on aperture exit lens, you can clearly see that the beam does not go through the center of the lens! It goes through the edge of it (however the beam is not cut off, entire of it passes through, it is just not centered)

However, that amazes me: the beam is not centered (visibly, you don't have to be a genious to notice that), however it appears that IT IS NOT OFF from the module body! (it is only off by small amount due to minor difference in diameter of module and host body)

So, beam performance in terms of power is very good, however alligment is not good.

I still don't know if I'm going to RMA it, since the laser is not for me , but for my friend, and he is very anxious to get his first green laser, I still have to ask him if he will mind (knowing him, he won't have the nerves to wait for another module or will give a damn at all, since the laser has very nice visible beam and it is as to be expected, very bright!)

So basically this is a positive review <- see post #24
Pros:
Shippement
packaging
customer service (thank you Susie, provided me with info whenever I needed it)
Switch (not pressure senzitive)
Performace (power)
Clean lens

Cons:
Beam shape and profile, very weird.

So overall, if you ask me, I'd buy from O-like again. Power seems up to spec. The misaligment is a minor production flaw, it is just my life's luck to get the one out of million that is misaligned.

Last edited:

Very nice, i like the chrome/silver finish :gj:

Aww well about that, I forgot that I need a laquer finish on top of the paint, now it is all 'spotty' from holding in my sweaty hands. Tommorow I will repaint again in two layers AND give it a shiny laquer finish!

Thanks my man! BTW, you nickname... you played Tyrian a lot didn't you? :p

ReNNo

Looks like very cheap and quality build.
There is just enough space in front of laser for dust cap.

When you point laser to sky can you notice bad divergence?
If yes then you should be concerned.

If divergence is good, everything else is good :D

What is about beam mode?
Is it TEM00?

Just put magnifying glass in front of module and see dot at the wall.

Looks like very cheap and quality build.
There is just enough space in front of laser for dust cap.

When you point laser to sky can you notice bad divergence?
If yes then you should be concerned.

If divergence is good, everything else is good :D

What is about beam mode?
Is it TEM00?

Just put magnifying glass in front of module and see dot at the wall.
Yup, pure TEM00, and very nice beam across the sky, very nicely visible, and not fat at it's "end"

Nope, i haven't heard of the game :yabbem:
My last name is Griffin, so Gryphon seemed logical :D
Gryphon is a name of one level in that game... Sorry I just though you were nostalgical like me, Tyrian is 1989 space shooter arkade... I play it even now, with enjoyment :D

Well thanks!
Small modules? All modules are 11.9 milimeters in diameter. I mean all green modules... of that power ofcourse, 500mW green module is bigger, but all pen modules are the same, more or less.

Thank you Niko! My first review I believe...
Well, if someone is interested, I can make some nice lifelike photos of the laser at night, since my E500 is here for a short while!

Thanks for a great review with lots of pictures! :thanks:
You picked up on the misalignment issue, and this made me grab a few lasers from my cabinet and have a look. Out of eight green lasers based on these 11.9mm modules of various powers, only three have the beam decently centered in the output lens. Otherwise, they all work properly.
The pen host gives you a great looking laser, yes you do need the final clearcoat or lacquer. Time for a 150mW or 200mW now? ;)

Thanks for a great review with lots of pictures! :thanks:
You picked up on the misalignment issue, and this made me grab a few lasers from my cabinet and have a look. Out of eight green lasers based on these 11.9mm modules of various powers, only three have the beam decently centered in the output lens. Otherwise, they all work properly.
The pen host gives you a great looking laser, yes you do need the final clearcoat or lacquer. Time for a 150mW or 200mW now? ;)
Too much :p I don't have that kind of money, athough I was planning to grab 200mW DX module you reviewed, outputs about 90-100 mW of green light?
After I sell my 50mW greenie, I'm gonna buy that. Hopefully 3rd next month.

If you wind up with a DX 200mW module, you could get up to 140mW out of it. Be nice if you got the freak one that gave near 200mW ... It took DX three months to ship mine when I bought them. They will burn through black tape without a helper lens. The o-like modules seem to have a smaller beam diameter. The DX module that is giving 140mW won't light a pink match without the helper lens. My o-like module that gives 140mW lights the pink match no problem. The narrower beam of the o-like allows a balloon to be popped at eight feet fairly quickly. The DX would not pop the same sized red balloon from the same bag of balloons until I was one foot away.

Thank you Niko! My first review I believe...
Well, if someone is interested, I can make some nice lifelike photos of the laser at night, since my E500 is here for a short while!

First of many! Hope to see more reviews from you in the future :)