Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

488nm WL Nano Build

Hi again, got my last build of these new diodes done (for now at least).

Around a year ago, I was looking for a WL nano host for cheap to put a 488nm diode into. This was long before the sharp 488's were out, but when we knew they were coming. After a few PM's, another member has graciously offered to send me a dead one he had so long as I post a build using it. I'm a bit late, but when you read this I want to say thank you again :beer:

Onto the build. I always heard that pen builds were extremely difficult, and I put off this one for last thinking it would be an arduous process. I was pleasantly surprised to find out this turned out to be a pretty easy build.

Without any other delay, onto the build!

This is everything that went into making this. Host, caps, button, diode & driver.

Missing a pic of the internals of the driver, realized after I put it all together... Inside is one of the new Sharp 490nm diodes, set at a very low current to get ~10mW out. This is using one of the Astral PicoDrives (soldered on to the diode and pressed by Paul, thanks!). I've soldered the negative lead from the driver to the case pin on the diode (not pictured).

From there, I needed to attach the positive lead of the diode in series with the push button. These are the push button blank boards offered by laser66.

Went a little crazy with the solder on the board, the wire did not want to stick to the solder I have. Either way, I've checked to be sure this wasn't shorting itself out anywhere.

From there, I slid the board into the plastic holder and wrapped the lead around the other end of the board to hide away some slack

Then comes sliding everything down into the host. This part is tricky to get aligned right on the first try

It's easy enough to twist the module with something that can grip the plastic holder

And with that, pop the button in place and screw the head cap on. Throw some batteries in and it's good to go!

Once again, a huge thanks to Paul for the small soldering work that I'd never be able to do myself, and a huge thanks to the member who sent me this host -- you know who you are. :thanks:

Link to album

Gazen

Awesome build. Even though wickedlasers is crap, their nano hosts look nice imo.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice Nano build, Z! :beer:
Those WL Nanos are a good looking host, and they're just large enough that you don't have to cram everything together.
That looks like a pretty decently bright dot for only 10mW output. :yh:
:gj: +rep!

Last edited:
Thanks! As someone affected by the BS that WL put us through, I am not a fan of them. But, the nano just looks too nice.

It's about twice as bright as my 593.5nm rigel. Not too bright, not too dim :)

Hi Z,
Well done buddy nice little EDC side fire. Great choice of WL to.Enjoy..Here is your missing pic omit the spring.

Rich:)

Attachments

• IMG_1710.JPG
    IMG_1710.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
That turned out very nice, Zach. I knew you were going to do this.....just wasn't sure when. I'm glad it turned out easier for you than expected. I can't rep you again so soon, but I will get back to you ASAP. :D

BobMc

Nice little build ZRaffle, great home for the 488. :gj:

+ reps

Last edited:
Are these hosts aluminum or brass?

It looks like this turned out well.
A long time ago I used to build my pens with fiber optics to take some of the output reflected from the lens and feed it through the module and direct it to the hole for the output indicator light.
I thought it was a clever way to make use of the extra hole in the host. It would look cool to have this in 488nm.

hi,
They are brass I cut one down to take 1x10440 to shorten it instead of replacing the one cell with a dummy cell.

Rich:)

That fiber optic idea is pretty brilliant. I'll give that a try once I find/buy some.

Though the problem with this host is that the aperture cap actually puts pressure on the lens. I'm not sure I have the space for the fiber to catch some of the splash. I'll try though

That fiber optic idea is pretty brilliant. I'll give that a try once I find/buy some.

Though the problem with this host is that the aperture cap actually puts pressure on the lens. I'm not sure I have the space for the fiber to catch some of the splash. I'll try though

I did it by drilling a small hole through the diode module adjacent to the diode and another in the back portion in front of the switch board.
It's a little hard to describe but I made a thread about this a while back:
https://laserpointerforums.com/f51/laser-pointer-fiber-optics-tutorial-video-86076.html

Very nice build I have a host I was planning on building but they are just so thin and lite,
Also they are not brass, I wanted a different look rather than black so went ahead and sanded a whole host and it’s obvious it’s alloy!

Also I must have got that fibre optic idea from you then a while back, it’s great for these 593-598 lasers that have there own led on the PCB!

Attachments

• MJoVpQa.jpg
    MJoVpQa.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 22
  • L7J1lrI.jpg
    L7J1lrI.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: