Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

488nm Sharp GH04850B2G Build

MurphyMurph

Here is another build that I made this year using a 488nm Sharp GH04850B2G.

01 488nm Build.jpg

I machined a small heatsink and affixed it to the threaded insert with Arctic Alumina (it works ;))

02 Heatsink.jpg

03 Parts.jpg

It was a DTR packaged diode/ driver, I'm not sure which driver it is or what it it's set to, based on his websites power tests, I'm 'guessing' its set around 300mA
This build metered at 139mW .

04 LPM.jpg

This laser is an aquamarine or teal color. It is definitely a unique wavelength and very difficult to photograph, but here are the shots that I managed to get.

05 Beam.jpg

06 Beam.jpg

07 Beam.jpg

08 Beam.jpg

Congratulations on your build. I measured many of these diodes and binned them by wavelength when they first became available here. They tend to run anywhere from 486nm to 493nm. The lower the wavelength the less green it will look. I have one doing exactly 488nm. I built one for my daughter that was 486nm. She loves that light blue color.

Great beam shots Murph, I also enjoy my 488's, I like the G8 lens the best and I usually drive mine @ 250ma

Love it, the wavelength is awesome. Nice looking host and great photo's, thank your for sharing them. I bought a few of those diodes to see what I might do combining the output somehow, I guess the only thing I can do is PBS combine, Knife Edge, or closely space several diodes to make the output appear as close together as I can.

MurphyMurph

Congratulations on your build. I measured many of these diodes and binned them by wavelength when they first became available here. They tend to run anywhere from 486nm to 493nm. The lower the wavelength the less green it will look. I have one doing exactly 488nm. I built one for my daughter that was 486nm. She loves that light blue color.
This one must be on the higher side of the of those wavelengths, it definitely has a green tint to it. The GoPro just has a hard time picking it up.

Giannis_TDM

This one must be on the higher side of the of those wavelengths, it definitely has a green tint to it. The GoPro just has a hard time picking it up.
It's also because the current is very high. If you run those diodes at above around 180mA they start to shift to green.

Giannis_TDM

Happen to have one at around 486ish that I could buy off you? Really want to cover the gap from my 481-492.

Hi Folks,
I built a 495nm in a custom side button host , the 495's were out before the 488's some time back , no longer available .But if you find one they are pretty costly. I remember Redcowboy stating this not to long ago,. It holds 1X18650 / 55mW's close to threshold driver setting. Asking 120.00 + 8.30 Priority shipping .
This build is still up for sale brand new build.
Rich:)

It's also because the current is very high. If you run those diodes at above around 180mA they start to shift to green.
Actually, these tend to shift wavelength with heat more than current.
Happen to have one at around 486ish that I could buy off you? Really want to cover the gap from my 481-492.
Sorry, I have none left. The one I used for my daughter's build was the last one I had.

I have several of the 488's and one is noticeably more blue than all the others, I call it my imitation argon.....yes I know argons are gas multi line lasers it's just what I like to call it, I suggest buying several and see what you get as they are all very cool beams of aquamarine - teal and the one is almost sky blue.