Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

476nm laser

Hey I'm selling my 476nm Sharp laser. It's in a DTR module with a Nano Buck driver set at 275mA already attached. It's a beautiful color, but I need the money currently. I'm asking for $250, I don't believe there will be many more people willing to part with theirs since it's quite rare of a diode. Also if possible by friends and family. I've sold 3 other lasers as friends and family, and one to Grainde not friends and family which had a small accident and I gave him a partial refund. Thanks!

Edit: Here are a few pictures not the greatest pictures, but pictures nonetheless https://imgur.com/a/of0tL

Last edited:

Ya it is. It sucks I have to see it go, but I'm glad it's going to a good home!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Congrats on your new purchase, be sure and share some photos when you can! :yh:

Now I see where you got that 476nm diode from, Ted. Hindsight is 20/20. I should have kept more than one of these back when I was measuring a lot of them for many members here. They won't be coming back.

476nm laser doa

Well... f**k. That was an expensive lesson to never pay for an item by sending the money as "friends and family." The module is DOA.

Prior to the sale BillyBob and I exchanged PMs. I asked for a picture of the module with his name and date. He obliged.
ygIGYKkh.jpg

He shipped quickly. The small flat rate box arrived in perfect condition. No dings or dents. The module was wrapped in regular bubble wrap. But no static protection was used, nor were the + & - wires shorted and twisted together. This is what I received.
4CqRRdmh.jpg

When I hooked it up to my power supply.... no photons. Not even a faint glow. At 3.9 volts it initially drew about .200 amps. As it heated up that number began to drop.
20m8iEYh.jpg

The diode does get hot, so I think it is just dead.
TkY0zCXh.jpg

I contacted Billy and asked if i could send it back for a refund, but no luck there. He swears it was working when he mailed it off.

I feel cheated.

So, now I have a very tiny and very expensive heater. Another way to look at it is I paid $250 for a copper module, 3 element lens, and a driver... the dead rare diode was free.

It sucks to be out the money, but I think I'm more bummed that such an awesome diode is dead.

So kids, the moral of this story is: NEVER EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, PAY FOR AN ITEM USING FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
:horse:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm certain it's toasted too. My spare LED'd 474.5 gets very hot and has very little light output much like that one. Only hanging onto it for the legacy really. Sad to see another one of these rare diodes go...