Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

462nm and 472nm diodes DROWNING IN PICS

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd stop in and show off my haul of those new blue diodes that are popping up.

I bought one of the 462's from DTR as soon as I knew they were real, and later RHD acquired a batch of diodes that hit around 472nm, so I snatched one of those before he shut down the thread :na:

*ahem*

So I'm sure many of you are somewhat familiar with 445nm, the purple-hued blue. I never personally liked that color, I like 473nm-488nm wavelengths so I was never satisfied by a high powered blue until these new diodes...

UdT8o87.jpg

No hint of purple. All blue, all day. This one's running at 1.8A and I'd estimate its probably doing 465nm. Possibly lower, I'm not thinking higher but I could be wrong. I never got it spectro'd. Well, the other day my RHD diode popped up. My order came with such a nice graph too --

A_472nm_at_2_4_A.png

Transplanted hosts with the old diode and in with this one... running it at 2.4A... WOW!!!

8CY3oAI.jpg

You guys may not quite notice the difference -- let me emphasize it.

pbUAPvp.jpg

Not good enough? Actually this is a bad shot, just kept it to tease.

UD6SiD2.jpg

f7rtDhL.jpg

*ahem*

Back to business, as expected these diodes do still have the phantom square near the spot.

yZZvS1i.jpg

After all that's said, I'll be making a *proper* review as soon as I get a nicer host for the second diode. And I'll be pushing one higher considering I have two. Maybe I'll hit 476nm ;)

Just so you guys know: I will not compare the 472nm diode to 473nm. What's the point of that if they're identical colors?

Seriously!
Much6d7.png

More pics for you guys before you ask--

jbqdBpW.jpg

hYvp5Ei.jpg

caaPFer.jpg

s0jlY8w.jpg

And what set of pictures on LPF would be complete without night shots?

9ofX0Og.jpg

48PdBvq.jpg

cvCdfwv.jpg

More pics here!

Last edited:

IsaacT

Let me be the first to say this is a wonderful trove of pictures and they come close to doing justice to the wavelength. Those 9mm 462nm diodes are/were SPECTACULAR! And I feel lucky to have gotten in on them while they lasted. (they might still exist but DTR appears to be out of stock of them.)

This is one of those diodes that makes me be like....

PS - +4 for awesome pics!

Last edited:
Yeah, I do plan on doing better justice to the color once the new host is taken care of. But first I gotta get the money... I already have the location picked out, managed to get access to a local mansion pretty much whenever I so desire to go there.

Had no idea DTR was out of them... that's kinda upsetting. Oh well, I'll be pretty satisfied with these two for a good while. Hopefully he does get more, these high wavelengths are too nice to pass up, even with the risk of it someday dying. I trust the 9mm packages far more than the 5.6mm ones.

IsaacT

Yeah, I do plan on doing better justice to the color once the new host is taken care of. But first I gotta get the money... I already have the location picked out, managed to get access to a local mansion pretty much whenever I so desire to go there.

Had no idea DTR was out of them... that's kinda upsetting. Oh well, I'll be pretty satisfied with these two for a good while. Hopefully he does get more, these high wavelengths are too nice to pass up, even with the risk of it someday dying. I trust the 9mm packages far more than the 5.6mm ones.

I agree.....mostly. A part of me loves having something that is limited in nature. That being said, bring on the major suppliers! I also like availability and the luxury of easy replacement.

That first shot into the night sky... unf! Beautiful.

Awesome lasers you got here!

rhd

Very nice :)

Isn't it neat how even the difference between the 460s and the 470s is noticeable?

I was surprised by that myself. I thought it would be a more difficult different to spot.

Wow, nice comparison! Definitely the closest pictures I've seen that show the difference between the 445 9mm and 462s. Definitely surprised to see the difference in the lower 462 and the 472nm. It actually looks a little purple! +rep.

Thanks guys! I'm really surprised at how different the color is between the two diodes. I expected to see something but not this much--

Amazing shots :beer: can't wait to get my hands on one of these one day :drool:

Fantastic! Maybe I should get an M462 to keep at 1.8A and overdrive my 9mm...

awesome, love it!!! I've just returned from 4 wks of vacay to find my own 462nm diode I ordered just before leaving a month ago. First thing I did after unpacking tonight was hook up my 462 to see the wavelength difference next to 445 & holy crap is it nice!! Your pictures do the colors some good justice but nothing beats seeing how blue 462 is with the naked eye. 1.8A of 462 makes 1.9W of 445 look completely purple, I cant wait to share pics like yours Zraff but damn +:beer: for sharing this post + pics!!

edit: must share beer with others 1st, you're on my list ;)

Last edited: