Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm laser problem..

Made a video of it without focusing lens..

Also i noticed the head is getting really hot fast.
I didn't had the laser on this long before, so i noticed temperature is rising really fast when i shot this video were i had it on longer then on/off.
After the video was done i removed the batteries, and while uploading the video i touched the host again and it was still warm.

Something aint right inside for sure... and i think it's the driver couse of the heat it reaches quick.
*Low output/lot's of heat.

Video:

Cheers, sm.

That doesn't look like your typical output. Looks more like a zombie diode - the lines on the edges indicate that the center emitters have blown. So it's taking a lot of current (standard) and outputting very little light, meaning the rest of the power is going to heat, explaining why it heats up so quickly.

Blord

It looks the diode is LED, hot diode and no lasing.

I would take RHD offer to refund the money and sent him back the laser.

rhd

Internet cafe for the win :)

Although it's just fast enough to load a few seconds of the video while I wait. But from what I can see, I'd tend to agree that it's LED. That's what it's looking like from that no-lens video.

So if you're up for my offer above, let's get that setup.

Or another offer you can select if it's of any interest to you:
- I'll still pay the shipping back to me, but I'd rebuild this same host with the 9mm diode I got from DTRs vet section sale last month (I've had it here, not decided on what I'd build it into), and then I'd use one of the new "magic" drivers that I showed off in another thread a few weeks ago. It's neat, completely polarity agnostic. You can put the batteries in any way you want, and the laser keeps working. I'd pay shipping both ways.

Let me know. If you want to think about it that's cool. Maybe email me, since I'm leaving this coffee shop shortly. Though I think I'll have wifi where I'm going tomorrow, so I may be able to check this thread again around this time tomorrow. (email I can get almost any time).

As an FYI to those curious. Loading just this one thread on LPF logged over 3Mb of data. That is absolutely disgusting, and I've already got avatars turned off. That 3Mb ain't coming from the text.......

Internet cafe for the win :)

Although it's just fast enough to load a few seconds of the video while I wait. But from what I can see, I'd tend to agree that it's LED. That's what it's looking like from that no-lens video.

So if you're up for my offer above, let's get that setup.

Or another offer you can select if it's of any interest to you:
- I'll still pay the shipping back to me, but I'd rebuild this same host with the 9mm diode I got from DTRs vet section sale last month (I've had it here, not decided on what I'd build it into), and then I'd use one of the new "magic" drivers that I showed off in another thread a few weeks ago. It's neat, completely polarity agnostic. You can put the batteries in any way you want, and the laser keeps working. I'd pay shipping both ways.

Let me know. If you want to think about it that's cool. Maybe email me, since I'm leaving this coffee shop shortly. Though I think I'll have wifi where I'm going tomorrow, so I may be able to check this thread again around this time tomorrow. (email I can get almost any time).

As an FYI to those curious. Loading just this one thread on LPF logged over 3Mb of data. That is absolutely disgusting, and I've already got avatars turned off. That 3Mb ain't coming from the text.......

e-mailed you :)
Maybe we can work something out on that other build we have going on.

Cheers, sm.

It is me, I use very heavy fonts in my posts. I'm sorry! :p

rhd

Alright - so we've got this laser heading back to me.

Will do some sort of video unboxing / teardown when it arrives.

rhd

Received the laser today.

The behavior doesn't seem strange or undiagnosable in terms of how it behaves - it's LED. I turn it on, and it's LED from minute one. I don't get any higher output, just straight to LED. So as far as the issue here goes, it's a diode that has gone LED. Relatively normal / boring / uninteresting....

.....except for the fact that I swear to science that in it's LED state, it's putting out *some* non-445 light. Or at least, some light that is far enough from the laser's normal wavelength to be producing a noticeably different colour at part of it's output pattern.

I'm going to try and find my spectrometer - it's packed away in a box, and figure out what's happening. There's either some green here, or I'm really going crazy.

EDIT:
Apparently I'm not crazy. This is the output of an LED'd 445 diode. Very skewed into the high blues and near greens when you consider. Neato!

attachment.php

Attachments

• LED.png
    LED.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

rhd

Smeerworst: Did you notice the colour (a green shade) on your end?

If you did, you probably told me about it, and I'm sure I thought you were crazy ;)

Smeerworst: Did you notice the colour (a green shade) on your end?

If you did, you probably told me about it, and I'm sure I thought you were crazy ;)

Hi RHD,

Yes i noticed a green shade and told you about it :)

So i'm not crazy afterall ? ^^

Last edited:
Hi RHD,

No, apparently RHD is! :crackup:

They say there are three things that start to go in your mind as you go crazy... First is your sense of smell, the second is your memory and I forget the third. :D

Last edited:

rhd

Hi RHD,

Ya.... you're not crazy :)

In my defense though, I must have really thought you were! Multiple colours out of a single laser diode? Impossible! (except that it apparently isn't)

Interesting. Got any video?

Very interesting wonder what happens here :pop: and want to see pics :)

You can't capture this in photos/video I'm afraid. I can't even capture 442nm vs 458nm beam distinctions, so there's no way the camera will pick up the shade distinctions in this output pattern, particularly since they're present in a gradient more so than they are any sort of distinct outputs. And in terms of just seeing the output shape, it's not interesting. It's an LED'd diode output, that's it.

So the spectrometer reading is the most interesting visual I can give you ;)