Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm Goggles

DJNY

Re: Goggles for 445nm

I don´t say that these $8 goggles won´t protect you, I also have them, they work great. But I doupt that they´re near as good as the ARG Wrap Around for example. Between 190mW of 532nm and >800mw of 445nm there is a big difference. Many people here (including me) want to pay $65 for a much better guarantee that their eyes are well protected. + style factor :D

Edit: Trust goggles that are tested hard http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/my-eye-51738.html#post716849

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 8382

of course, I won't use them with that unless someone else tests them at exactly 1W. But, if he says the goggles holded it for more than 5 seconds, they are more than enough for me :D

Re: Goggles that come with the Spyder III good enough?

I had a convo with Tracy from WL... this is what he said....

Hope that helps! -Adrian

yes that helps very much. If this is really the case I'm going to get ahold of customer support and change my order... I paid more for goggles that don't appear to be as good!

ok, but please check... I don't want to be the reason, you get ripped off / lose money. I just showed my convo with a member of WL and what he has said has not been confirmed by another source.

-Adrian

oic0

I probably wont even turn mine on except outdoors firing in to an empty pasture until I see the included glasses tested or I buy a different pair. I was born with crappy vision to begin with, no need to make it worse or destroy it! Any measurable risk is too much.

Last edited:

I hate it because I know things were gonna turn out this way.

Things go like this:

1.-You buy a cheap goggles and do not expect much from them, but since everyone says they work great...
2.-You test them and they work amazingly good, much better than you would have ever expected for 405nm and 532!
3.-You ask people in the forum: hey, are these working that good for 445nm too?
4.-Someone answers: "wow, I tested them and they work like a charm!"
5.-Someone come and says: "you, bunch of irresponsible people, buy certified goggles and shut up!"

why shouldn't I use this goggles if they just work. Because whoever that certificates the goggles wasn't paid for testing this model? Honestly, as long as they protect me, I don't care if there's a "certified goggles" sticker on them or not...

And before you answer: "only certified goggles are reliable because they test them with the proper protocols...", listen to this. A member tested them against the diode for 1 minute and they did their work. Certified goggles do only certify that you will be protected for 10 seconds. If that's not enough for you, well, I'm sorry, it is for me.

You demonstrate that you do not know the actual certification procedure or what level of performance is implied by any standard. You misunderstand it at the most basic level, as do many of the other people on this forum.

If you don't even know what the certification actually says about a product, then why do you feel you can unequivocally state that yours work just as well as the certification?

D

Deleted member 8382

Please, could you explain me what I'm missing about the certification?

Everything ELSE besides "it will attenuate a direct hit without loss of protection for at least 10 seconds".

That's not all there is to it.

And to be totally honest, even if that was all there is to it, please name who on this forum is actually qualified to state that their measurements are accurate and precise enough to 100% trust the results based on their home hobbyist power meter results.

D

Deleted member 8382

well, it's not the only thing but it's the main thing, at least the main thing I need, isn't it?

Then, what the mistake from the members might be? It's leting pass 6 mW instead of 4mW? does that really matters?

well, it's not the only thing but it's the main thing, at least the main thing I need, isn't it?

Then, what the mistake from the members might be? It's leting pass 6 mW instead of 4mW? does that really matters?

Exactly my point. You don't know the difference, you don't know what "the main thing" is.

I'm simply saying that there are real professionals who really know what they're doing who have spent a lot of money and have been paid a lot of money in order to develop a standard that tells everyone exactly what is necessary for safe use of a laser. They don't have to ask these questions, because they literally wrote the book on the subject. Heck, multiple books on the subject.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel on safety glasses, and any wheel we do invent would save a maximum of about $30 (for your $50+ laser, BTW) and never be anywhere near as good as the wheel already invented and out there in the form of a real certification.

You say you don't care about certification as long as they'll protect you. I just find it disheartening that you don't trust the experts out there that know what it actually takes to protect your eyes, and instead choose to trust your first observation and another forum member with hobbyist equipment.

D

Deleted member 8382

wait wait wait. That's not what I meant.

you don't trust the experts out there that know what it actually takes to protect your eyes, and instead choose to trust your first observation and another forum member with hobbyist equipment

What I mean is that I trust the experts, but that I can also trust the information from multiple members. Now, what I want to know is why do you think the tests from the members are not enough to trust on this goggles to protect myself :)

What I mean is that I trust the experts, but that I can also trust the information from multiple members. Now, what I want to know is why do you think the tests from the members are not enough to trust on this goggles to protect myself :)

That's the easiest question yet, I don't trust hobbyists as much as I trust professionals. There, I said it.

"It looked good on Jimbo's meter" doesn't mean very much to me relative to "conforms to ANSI Z136 standards", ESPECIALLY when the difference in cost is pretty much nothing. There's almost NOTHING to gain to cheap out on this. What, $20? $30? If that's going to bankrupt you, you don't need to be buying the laser.

Maybe they are fine, maybe they meet or exceed any standard you could compare them to. But maybe they don't, and the only way I know to truly trust them is a widely-accepted professional standard.

Not to mention, if a laser safety goggle manufacturer can't be bothered to actually certify their product, how can I be sure that they can be trusted to actually keep up their quality control? How do I know that their QC doesn't allow through any manufacturing defects? For all I know, I might get completely different glasses from the one's Jimbo got. These retailers switch their lasers all the time without changing item numbers or descriptions, why wouldn't they change their glasses in exactly the same way? Heck, places like DX and o-like and Rayfoss aren't even the manufacturers, they're resellers. How do I know that both the manufacturers and resellers are keeping up their QC and their performance without some kind of acknowledgment of the standard to which their glasses adhere? That's an awful lot of blind trust. A certification isn't everything, but at least it's something.

Last edited:

You're debating with a scientist. Best thing to do is follow what the man has to say. Use your intelligence. Do you want to take advice from Joe Smoe basement hobbyist, or man that is highly schooled in laser technology? The answer is pretty simple to me.

ok, but please check... I don't want to be the reason, you get ripped off / lose money. I just showed my convo with a member of WL and what he has said has not been confirmed by another source.

-Adrian

Well from the specs on the website... the glasses they want $100 for aren't really that good. I can just get 2 pairs of cheap ones and then save the extra money to invest in a good tested pair. I also probably won't use the laser much, especially up close until I see some goggles tested. Thanks for the info!

I knew it. So 30 seconds and still no hole right?

Now, do you all believe these holded for 1 min my 200mW lasers?

Just so it's clear, I still do not condone the use of these glasses over 300mW!

If thay melt at half the power we whant to run these dioide's at, its not safe! (IMHO):yabbem:
I am geting the certified glasses and suggest that any one geting these diode's do the same. If you got this much power a month ago, you wold pay a lot more than $50 diode & $70 glasses. PBD made some verry good point's,

Probably safe < Certified to be safe :thinking: