Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm De-canning, Macro-shooting target practise

On this pic here you can see the crystal:
closeup_lens1.jpg

You can see in the middle of the picture that it's lifted from it's base and you can see the little blue facet on it, which is very elongated and reminds me of 9mm diodes, though not that extreme.

@DJZ, awsome shots, I can see that you've bent the inner sections of pins, what did you use to decan it?

Also, about the 3 bond wires, I guess they have a standard for producing the cans, it's just that they put different emitter on it and call it different diode, I guess.
There is no way this will live up to 2A for good life, I mean at least we don't know it yet - but Bill did drive one up to 1.9A (!) and it survived, but I believe he tuned it down afterwards.

jbtm

Nice pictures! I've been trying hard to get my camera to like me under a microscope, by jamming it into the small 4mm eye hole...The results:

What you see here is my dead 20X red LOC diode. It's clear what happened as to why it died...
To the human eye at 100x, things looked far clearer. 400x and 900x was too much for my camera. My microscope wasnt made to shine at solids, so I was holding a flashlight to the diode. I found it fun looking at the middle rail, the tiny wire connections, sure enough when i poked the can with a metal needle, it went on. As seen in pictures 2 and 3, the wire melted.

Interesting, your 445nm diode picture shows like 3 wires going from the peg to the middle rail...My 20X red diode only has 1. Must be because of the multimode.

Last edited:
Nice pictures! I've been trying hard to get my camera to like me under a microscope, by jamming it into the small 4mm eye hole...The results:

[picz]

What you see here is my dead 20X red LOC diode. It's clear what happened as to why it died...
To the human eye at 100x, things looked far clearer. 400x and 900x was too much for my camera. My microscope wasnt made to shine at solids, so I was holding a flashlight to the diode. I found it fun looking at the middle rail, the tiny wire connections, sure enough when i poked the can with a metal needle, it went on. As seen in pictures 2 and 3, the wire melted.

Interesting, your 445nm diode picture shows like 3 wires going from the peg to the middle rail...My 20X red diode only has 1. Must be because of the multimode.
Microscope! I didn't though of that I also have some microscope that was made to be used with clear things as it has a lamp under the surface where you'd place a glass with a sample.

I'll have no problem setting up my 3W white LED above the surface to illuminate it , then I'll try to take a pic, though I don't know how will that look like.

My 445nm diode, as explained, all 445nm diodes have several wires because each wire can only carry that many miliamps before it melts, several in paralel helps so current is divided and wires won't "fuse" out, has nothing to do with output.

P.S. Awsome picz, BTW.

Benm

The diode is mounted on a polycrystaline diamond heat spreader on a tungsten copper planchet that was bonded to an invar baseplate. Why they didn't use copper for the baseplate is beyond me, these diodes should had the absolute best heat sinking possible.

I suppose the low termal expansion of the invar was required. Perhaps thermal stresses woundn't be able to break the heatspreader, but it might still come loose after several heating cycles.

I suppose the low termal expansion of the invar was required. Perhaps thermal stresses woundn't be able to break the heatspreader, but it might still come loose after several heating cycles.
Umm, I may not know exactly what's what in Herru's statement , but I guess that using pure copper would result in permanent cathode connection to the case, which is unnaceptable because we know case must be isolated for those diode in the projector, hence case pin is clipped off.

Right? :thinking:

If anyone has one of these that is not working, decanned, or they just don't want anymore, feel free to mail it to me and I can see what I can do. These are valiant efforts, but better equipment will go a long way towards good images.

If anyone has one of these that is not working, decanned, or they just don't want anymore, feel free to mail it to me and I can see what I can do. These are valiant efforts, but better equipment will go a long way towards good images.
The emitter is somewhere on my table... which is like searching for a needle in the rainforest in rainy day.

I can ship the rest of it but I don't see the point...

Also, I know, better equipement FTW but my wallet hates me for lasers already, let alone a new macro lens...
I'll definetly work hard to get it, but right now I am trying to push my current equipement to the limit.
P7070193.jpg

This is some other C-mount:
cmount3.jpg

No problem man, equipment is expensive, and you did a fine job working with what ya got. No worries, and definitely no use in sending the case without the diode.

And I wasn't exactly just talking about a camera and macro lens, per say. I certainly wasn't talking about anything that I would expect anyone to ever buy for their hobby.

l200nd_main.jpg

HRSem.jpg

No problem man, equipment is expensive, and you did a fine job working with what ya got. No worries, and definitely no use in sending the case without the diode.

And I wasn't exactly just talking about a camera and macro lens, per say. I certainly wasn't talking about anything that I would expect anyone to ever buy for their hobby.

l200nd_main.jpg

HRSem.jpg
Hmm, can it take a picture of Kipkay's brain? If so, I'm fascinated :D

Just kidding, that's some serious equipement dude, the last pic, that's your workplace?
Respekt!

jbtm

Yeah, to my eye, i can view these diodes at 1000X and find it very clear still, however to my camera I cant because the lens hole for my microscope is so small. I got it as a kit for 60 dollars with a telescope that can see the moon full-eye vision. So it's very cheap quality 100x 400x 900x, but the lens are true glass, and thus the quality is very clear :) I had to mod it to allow me to view solid objects instead of transparent.

Hmm, can it take a picture of Kipkay's brain? If so, I'm fascinated :D

Just kidding, that's some serious equipement dude, the last pic, that's your workplace?
Respekt!

Neither of those photos are actually of my actual workplace. They are representative photos of the equipment available here, though. Ie, multiple large microscopes designed for imaging such things, and multiple SEMs. Those photos are pretty close to the correct models for both tools.

Neither of those photos are actually of my actual workplace. They are representative photos of the equipment available here, though. Ie, multiple large microscopes designed for imaging such things, and multiple SEMs. Those photos are pretty close to the correct models for both tools.
Uhh, sorry I don't understand the last statement,
Photos of what, models of what? Which tools?

Uhh, sorry I don't understand the last statement,
Photos of what, models of what? Which tools?

The microscopes and SEM I posted, I was trying to say that those weren't the exact ones I use, but they're almost the same as the ones I use.

The microscopes and SEM I posted, I was trying to say that those weren't the exact ones I use, but they're almost the same as the ones I use.
Oh that, wow - do those have video pickups by any chance (presumably yes), next time with some spare time, take few pics would you ? :D
They must cost a fortune... So do the pics taken with it!