Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm Pen from Etimeshop (Ebay)

Yeah, its hard to judge by brightness as our eyes detect some colours better than others. But with these blue lasers the beam is also fairly wide so it looks fainter than a narrower beam of equal power. I have tested mine later in the evening now and I can see the beam. I think at night in pure darkness the beam will be very nice indeed. At first I wasnt convinced it was 5mw, now I would guess it must be more than that. How much would it take to damage the pixels of a camera?

Plus, your eyes have trouble focusing on the beam, and it looks as wide as a baseball bat. A camera, it probably depends on how the laser is focused, camera sensor, etc. Though I'd say 5mW could do it. Just think, you have this small sensor, manufactured to be as light-sensitive as possible, and you try to send a focused, high-energy beam of light straight into it! The results can't be good.

Yeah thats true, I actually find it harder to see the beam if I'm wearing my glasses! They are new glasses tho. Also if you look at the dot at some distance(naked eye) it looks unusual, not like a normal dot at all, but its entirely to do with my eyes and how they focus on it. It just seems like my eyes have trouble focusing on the laser light. It appears similar to a saturated CCD image although not as extreme. Well its just bright thats all I can say! ha ha.

jbtm

Looks like a good laser and find! About your Rayfoss green there...I see you plugged in a protected battery leaving a gap in your tailcap. You should do what I did. I found a O-Ring that fits TIGHT (doesn't come off at all) and pinches in when you twist it close. Keeps dust off the threads ;) Other than that...Nice beam shots :)

Yeah thats true, I actually find it harder to see the beam if I'm wearing my glasses! They are new glasses tho. Also if you look at the dot at some distance(naked eye) it looks unusual, not like a normal dot at all, but its entirely to do with my eyes and how they focus on it. It just seems like my eyes have trouble focusing on the laser light. It appears similar to a saturated CCD image although not as extreme. Well its just bright thats all I can say! ha ha.

they may be uv filtered?
this happens with everyones eyes when using 405nm lasers, after a few meters it is extremely hard to focus on the dot

Last edited:
I plan on getting an o-ring, but every time I go to the store, I completely forget... lol.

TTerbo

that hapens to me alot i get to the store and buy other stuff get home and im like arr sh%t gotta go bak now :(

they may be uv filtered?
this happens with everyones eyes when using 405nm lasers, after a few meters it is extremely hard to focus on the dot

No man they're not UV filtered, I got two pairs about 3 years ago and only used one, but I broke them a few days ago. So for one, they must be the wrong prescription by now! and also I got used to the other pair so the second pair just wasnt the same and I just need time to get used to them.

Yeah I figured 405nm was just hard to focus on. At night its very easy to see the beam though, and I found old star shaped glow in the dark stickers from about 15 years ago (they're actually on my ceiling but had been painted over) and the laser causes them to glow. I had forgotten about them but then I shone the laser on the ceiling and noticed something glowing afterwards!

jbtm

I bought the laser on Friday. The email I got said USA is 7-14 day shipping. Anyone got it sooner? Rayfoss says that but I got a laser once in 3 days from them. Will be happy to receive it, always fun having 5mw lasers for public use mainly around presentations...This way your not holding a 300mw and hurting eyes. Woo!

I bought the laser on Friday. The email I got said USA is 7-14 day shipping. Anyone got it sooner? Rayfoss says that but I got a laser once in 3 days from them. Will be happy to receive it, always fun having 5mw lasers for public use mainly around presentations...This way your not holding a 300mw and hurting eyes. Woo!

these are heavily overspec, a LOT more than 5mw

Yeah jbtm, definitely don't go shining around at random reflections; you might not even notice you got hit before it's too late! I got mine in 8 days.

jbtm

oh..sweet...like brighter than PHRs? cant wait ;) I also got a few other lasers in the mail as seen in my sig :D

Heleno

Ok!
i gave it a shot!
let's see how does it arrives on Brazil!
it cost me 10.48$.
fair - for a 405nm pen.
i hope the poor packing doesn't damage the unit!

jbtm

I just got mine today. It came in a bubble-wrap type package, and the laser was stuck into it. I didn't expect the laser to open in the middle for the battery, otherwise I find this a nice laser. Comparing to my 5mw red lasers, for them being AAA the violet laser is surly larger. Other wise, It's nice to have a portable violet, the beam is visible during the night, and you can just BARELY see it in a lit room...Have to look hard :)

lasers2.jpg

200mW rayfoss
Claimed 5mw violet
5mw Green - Chrome..Stainless..Idk it was $90 5 years ago.
2X super cheap 5mw reds

Given a projector lens, I was able to focus the laser and burn black plastic. I dont own matches, sorry :(
Beam Shots...15 second exposure looking down towards the laser...I did the same 15 seconds to my green laser, just to show how long that really is...

As for why no glasses with the green...I looked away during its run time :p

Last edited:

Heleno

I just got mine today. It came in a bubble-wrap type package, and the laser was stuck into it. I didn't expect the laser to open in the middle for the battery, otherwise I find this a nice laser. Comparing to my 5mw red lasers, for them being AAA the violet laser is surly larger.

Sorry - i couldn't understand this statement.
but how did you expect it to be? in your picture it looks exactly like it looks in ebay display pictures.
pardon me if i am talking nonsense - it just so happens that english is a second language to me.