Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm Lens from Lasers4U

jayrob

Hmmm... The only explanation is that there must be differences between your module and mine Dave.

Here is a picture of mine...

Glass%20405nm24.jpg

Mine only has one o-ring on the nut, and it is a very tight fit when it makes contact with the module...
Jay

daguin

Hmmm... The only explanation is that there must be differences between your module and mine Dave.
Here is a picture of mine...
Mine only has one o-ring on the nut, and it is a very tight fit when it makes contact with the module...
Jay

Your O-ring looks much "fatter" than mine. Does your lens holder "wobble" in the diode housing? Maybe mine just got a bad O-ring. The second O-ring is just jammed up against the base of the knurled portion.

Let me get my magnifiers out to look at the two O-rings

Peace,
dave

daguin

I KNOW -- A DOUBLE POST (I'm just trying to artificially increase my post count <snerk> )

After examining the module through magnification it is evident that my module does NOT have two O-rings. It has two HALVES of one O-ring.

Apparently when it was assembled, the O-ring got "trapped" and sheared in half. That left half of the O-ring in the groove and the other half of the O-ring pushed up against the base of the knurled portion.

I have let the seller know and will be obtaining a new O-ring. Based on JayRob's report, the "loose" lens holder may not be an issue.

I have edited the original posting and review to reflect this info.

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

jayrob

Makes sense now Dave...

Good catch, I will watch for that possibility with mine. Maybe even put a little bevel on the inside of the module so that the o-ring will 'slip' into the module easy. Because it is a rather tight fit with the o-ring, and I could see it cutting the o-ring easily...
Jay

daguin

Updated OP

Read the red and green under "Con's"

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

Hi daigun, sorry, how do you get to contact lasers4u ?

I sent them a question two times, about how much cost shipping in Italy and combined shipments, and got no reply at all (and reading here and there, perhaps that is one of their abitudes, to ignore info requests :p).

daguin

Hi daigun, sorry, how do you get to contact lasers4u ?
I sent them a question two times, about how much cost shipping in Italy and combined shipments, and got no reply at all (and reading here and there, perhaps that is one of their abitudes, to ignore info requests :p).

They have been very responsive to me via email.

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

Thanks, i try this way.

Previously i only sent them requests through ebay "ask the seller" links, maybe they ignore or don't get them.

HIMNL9...
what is your ebay name? I am not sure why IO did not respond. as Dave says, and others, I am usually very response. I am not here much, so I input infrequesntly. That's whay I seem like a newbie. Buty I have been in lasers for about 25 years, and selling diodes, etc as my own business for 13 years. I have an ebay rating w/ feedback of 99.5%
I'll look u up and repsond there when I see name.
otherwise, it is a sheered diode dave. I heard your unit sold, so does the new owner need the oring? I'll try to post a close up photo. Unit is nice with new oring.

Dave's nut did have a sheared o ring. It was due to our tool or holder utilized when press fitting the lens. The nut fit so tight, that when our press was applying force, the oring was cut on several early units. I took a photo. One can see the lower o ring is squared off, and will not engage the module housing very well. It does not help that at the point where the oring should start to touch, there is only about one thread engaged. This will cause a wobbly effect.

In the photo, the sheared oring outer edge (rounded looking) is pushed up towards the knurl- ineffective even as a "second oring."

Tooling corrected, and many happy units leaving here, sold on ebay.

(I'm having issues with listing the photo)
405-G-1

Will

daguin

UPDATE 9/20/09 -- With me heading out on vacation and starting the new semester, it has taken a bit to get this straightened out. The delay was mostly from my lack of attention to the matter. However, I have finally received the new o-ring for the module. I installed it last night. The new o-ring has completely dealt with the "looseness" of the module. The module operates smoothly and "tight."

Thanks for all your help, Will

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

Krutz

Hi Will,

nice to see you here! manufacturers and sellers are gladly seen here, to get hold of them easily ;-)

welcome onboard!

manuel