Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm L.D. naked under indiscrete microscope, with good DOF (30 Photos)

It's really great to know that you like them guys.

Thanks alot for all your nice comments :bowdown: really appreciate it :)

@SerpantSlayer: yes, stacking programs are really an excellent tool to help in macro photography.

@crazyspaz: Yes, it is amazing that something so small can generate such amount of concentrated photons.

@Garoq: I also love the translucent substrate of this 405nm. Your laser still working perfectly after so long ;)

@Flaminpyro: Hi Jeff, thanks. The laser diodes are so pretty, like Fireworks ;)

@Asmodian: I like to know and see the small details of something itself small, such as laser diodes in particular.

@ped: Thanks for your comment ;)

@will manners: Thanks, When I can, I send you a photo, say that I have in mind to change, or improve some things when time permits me,
to try to improve things such as lighting, one of the many critical things in this type of photography ;)

@lazeristasUVISIR: Thanks. Well, this is to ..bla.. bla..bla.. well I not really know what his purpose hahaha.

PD. If someone has a laser diode (which does not work) and want to see it in a macro photography, they can, if you wish,
send it to me and I try to make the best out as I can for you.

Last edited:

It is interesting to be able to see "through" the resonator. Logically, this shouldn't be surprising, it's a crystal that light has to pass through somewhat easily, but still.

Those squares are likely fiducial markers. These are marks that the machinery can easily recognize and use for alignment purposes when making the resonator chip, or for teh bond wire attachment machine to know where to attach the wire ball

Another interesting thing to note is the texture of the side walls compared to the facets. Facets are cleaved, which is a fancy way of saying broken very precisely. As such, the crack follows the crystalline structure of the GaN, forming a perfectly flat facet. In gas lasers, I believe the mirrors, or at least one o fthem, is usually curved, basically to keep the energy in the middle of the resonator. I reckon this just isn't possible with something this small, although it would be interesting if they cleaved at brewsters angles, if external mirrors could be used.

Also neat to see the spurious higher wavelengths being emitted at random spots too.

:thanks: for the great pictures, piferal! It is even neat to look at and compare the blurry parts of the stacked photos to the same region in the unstacked example and see how it handles out of focus parts of the image. I didn't know image stacking could be used in that way, and somewhat automated, I assume!

Last edited:
Hey Piferal you have some stunning shots there! Especially like the shots where the entire semi conductor substrate above the junction lights up! Ive missed your diode pic threads, so Im glad to see youre back and still at it! :wave: :beer:

damn, grainde used my adjective - Stunning work! thanks so much for doing more of these photos they are some of my favorites.

Last edited:
@grainde: I'm glad that this time you've boarded the train haha :beer:

@cheech226: Good to see you again in my macro laser diode thread, thank you.

Thank you all again, both those who have left their kind comments,
and also those who have seen and visited this thread.

Thanks again to all of you :beer: :bowdown:

very cool! +1 for great photos. great for being able to see how it works, and what it looks like

Today I added 12 more photos, this time with more magnification for a closer look, and
some of these with shallow depth of field, to highlight particular areas of the diode.

Last edited:
Awesome pictures , Great to see in detail a thing most would never normally see like this .

Last edited:
Awesome photos! diodes are still mysterious to me!

Man I wish I could use the camera's at work... the toolmaker scopes... or the Scanning Electron Microscope!!! OMG...

Definitely thanks for taking the time to share!!

juan, thanks again! your hard work helps me to understand the magic happening in these diodes. man your pics are worth 10,000 words.

sinner

I just saw the 12 new photos you just added, and I have to say I havent seen anything like that before, This opens a whole new idea of seeing things closely, Thanks Juan your work deserves more appreciation to say the least.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for the additional dozen pics, piferal.
It's easy to forget how small those diode elements are, when seeing them like this! :)
Looking at these pics reminds me of looking at a two legged spider.

Last edited:

gismo

"We've seen many worlds, yet the undiscovered land lies at our fingertips."

I vote for piferal's laser diode macro world to get a sticky:wave:.