Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

405nm L.D. naked under indiscrete microscope, with good DOF (30 Photos)

piferal

Hello LPF members.

First of all, apologize for my "approximate" English :confused:

Update: On November 26 I added 12 more photos

I had not put any macro photography of laser diodes for a while, and because I renewed my gear a little, I take the opportunity to
show you all at the best as possible one of my lasers diodes, which in this case is an small 405nm diode with an integrated photodiode.

I wanted to explain a little, for people that would be interested, about the depth of field "DOF" mentioned above in the title,
and so that you have a small idea about the difficulty to work with. Also the Lighting, vibrations, and others, are also a big
problems when working at this scale and distance, but this is another story :)

At these magnifications and distance (only at 4mm from the object, approx), the depth of field is ridiculous, so much so that to
view this chip entirely sharp (focused), are required about 22 stacked photos, or more (at least with the material that I have,
which is nothing specialized, because is in part home DIY).

The first three photos are, the complete laser diode, and laser diode chip measures, for reference.

To have a little idea of what has been said above about the depth of field, an example,
the next photo is as you can see the chip with a single shot.

Next is the same photo as above, but stacking 23 photos with a different focal length for each.

The rest of the photos are taken from different angles and magnifications.

On 26 November I added 12 more photos, this time with more magnification for a closer look,
and some of these with shallow depth of field, to highlight particular areas of the diode.

And this is all for now.

Thanks for visit :yh:

Last edited:

Blord

The pictures are really spectacular. With the photo stacking process the DOF is increased tremendously. Thank you for putting so much work into it.

Btw what stacking software are you using ?

Last edited:

piferal

The pictures are really spectacular. With the photo stacking process the DOF is increased tremendously. Thank you for putting so much work into it.

Btw what stacking software are you using ?
Thanks Blord for your nice comments, is appreciated :beer:

The program That I use is called, Zerene Stacker.

Speedy78

Absolutley amazing photos. Its so crystal clear it looks like this diode could be a few inches in measurments haha. Need to do something like this on one of the c-mount red diodes. Perhaps someone has one that has gone LED.

gismo

As close as one can get! The gallery has its magic, the macro world reveals itself normally hidden in sight. Very nice microscopical LD intro, piferal!

:gj:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Agreed, very nice macro pics, piferal! :)
It must be very time consuming work. Thanks for sharing.

+1 for taking us inside a 405!

sinner

Great work man, the new equipment shows everything very clear, Stacking is just flawless.. :gj: man +1

piferal

@BowtieGuy: Yes, is a lot of work, but when you do something that you like, work becomes fun ;)

Hello and thanks sinner, always so friendly, greetings.

Thank you very much to you all, guys, your words and support are appreciated :beer:

Last edited:

crazyspaz

+1 for some incredible pics- I LOVE the second picture.

Thats a lot of power from something that small-even if that diode isn't particularly high powered, think of 445's. A teensy tiny chip, outputting 1 watt+ of power...simply astounding.

Now what poor sap got stuck with the job of soldering that thing :crackup:

Garoq

Fantastic photos Piferal! I love the apparent translucent nature of the crystal, I have never seen it so clearly before!

Asmodian

Very impressive, I love seeing the hints of detail too small even for these high quality fairly high magnification images.

ped

Superb stuff.

Along with Blord & brucemir , we have some skilled photographers on LPF.

will manners

These are just absolutely SUPERB! It would be interesting to see your setup :)

Thanks for taking us incredibly deep into the inner workings of a 405 +1 :beer: