Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm build went wrong (A laser builder story)

I just need to get this of my chest.

scroll down for TL;DR

So my first of 2 shipments from DTR arrived today.
It was the 209 x16 405nm diode in 20mm module with a nano boost driver.
I was going to put it inside a Convoy s2+ host.

but this whole build just went so wrong. Murphys law struck multiple times i guess...

It started with setting the driver. To get 520ma from the nanodriver i had to connect 2 resistors. I dont know why but my solder blob would not flow. when it finaly did flow and i took away my iron one of the resistors came with it and was gone.

After some testing and fideling with the driver i made the (maybe stupid) decision of going for 1.1A but with 2 AMC7135 regulators behind. this way i could get the boosted voltage but still kept it current regulated @ 0.7A which is gray area for this diode but still fine.

Solderd it right up outside the host connected a 18650 battery and sure it did light up!
i was relieved.
This build might still work! by now more then 2 hours has past.

I started to move everything over to the host.
But here is where it went south again. the nano board alone was already very tight for the pill. No way i could fit the 2 AMC7135's with it.
I made another, bigger, contact board that sits on top of the pill instead of on the inside rim of the pill where normaly 17mm drivers sit. this way i could get every thing to fit, kinda.

I tested at every step. Stuck the AMC regulaters in, tested, and it worked. glued them in place with hot glue, tested, it worked. put some tape arround the driver, tested it and again it worked. Pushed the driver into the pill, tested it, a flash and nothing... pulled it apart and still nothing... i was about to give up. 100 bucks right down the drain.

Stubborn as i am i applied power just 1 more time and it lit up?? what the heck?!
i checked every connection, cleaned up some soldering that probaly didnt need cleaning and applied extra care, love and electrical tape. the pill complete again. it worked!.
just one easy step left, screwing the pill inside the head and i was done.

I did 2 turns and tested it to see if it still worked and it did. screwing it half way in it still worked! HYPE. .... last turn... And done!. lets test just one more time before attaching the battery tube. Faint flash and nothing.

i took it all apart, AGAIN. but this time it was fatal. the diode fried, not even LEDd just straight up dead. the driver also seems to be dead. I dont know what did it.

This just sucks, my whole evening was a rollercoaster of emotions.

TL;DR: 4 hours putting together and taking apart a fresh new laser to end up with all dead components.

I will buy a new diode and a new driver to complete this build. Next time i will do it right.

Maybe a suggestion; i would love to see round laser drivers, they seem kinda rare for some reason.

I feel your pain.. I have had a few 405's die for no reason as well as an m140 when they were new to us hobbyists. Just makes you appreciate the final build even more :eg:

Man that sucks. I have the same luck with the lpc 826. 0-4 and not looking for another go at it. Also a 450b that I was too rough with trying to do my first pen build.

BobMc

All that effort, than a crash and burn. Sorry to hear that, sounds like you put your heart in that build. Hoping the best next time around! ( Survival has round drivers ) I'm sure you found them but just in case .

All that effort, than a crash and burn. Sorry to hear that, sounds like you put your heart in that build. Hoping the best next time around! ( Survival has round drivers ) I'm sure you found them but just in case .
I did it has been a long time since i build a laser from scratch.
But i guess its part off the hobby :)
Yeah i saw them but the price is pretty steep and shippingcosts to belgium doubles the price. Those als also buck drivers and i wanted to be able to use this laser with just one 18650.

BobMc

I did it has been a long time since i build a laser from scratch.
But i guess its part off the hobby :)
Yeah i saw them but the price is pretty steep and shippingcosts to belgium doubles the price. Those als also buck drivers and i wanted to be able to use this laser with just one 18650.

I didn't notice you lived in Belgium. Guess that would be a bear for shipping cost. Don't know where you can get a boast driver in your neck of the woods. Hopefully someone has some ideas?

I'm hoping a survival laser driver I bought set to 530ma with work with the 405 16x 209 diode I bought.

I have a couple of round 16.8 mm X-Boosts with pots. If you want, I can sell you one and put it in your package when its ready. IIRC it was $ 23 and at least this way you'll save the shipping. ;) :beer:

Reactions: GSS
I don't know if that post was for me but I'm broke soooooo......

I'll be selling this build as soon as I make it most likely.

If it makes you feel any better I literally have 5 lasers here that need a good rebuild to get them working at full power. Resistance probs are a b*tch. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh man that is terrible, Give Jordan a yell explain what happened and I'm sure he can help,
He also has the nanos preset.

To late now but you could attach your driver to a blank board with thermal epoxy like this,

Haven't done a convoy S2 yet but it's a great looking host especially the blue-red ones with the metal mini clicky, they look sic!

Attachments

• 1485348421.197.jpg
    1485348421.197.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 1485348591.6388.jpg
    1485348591.6388.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 1485348780.7777.jpg
    1485348780.7777.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
yeah i tried to make my own 17mm blank board by stripping a 105c Led driver. but the problem is at the inside of the pill. there is e thick lip at the inside of the pill for the 17mm board to rest on. this makes it that the nanoboost just fits. its literally scraping the sides at all 4 corners. but thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah the convoy s2+ is a very nice host. and the 20mm copper modules from DTR just fit perfectly. the only thing you need to do is drill a hole in the pill where the pins of the diode can pass through.

Last edited:
I have a couple of round 16.8 mm X-Boosts with pots. If you want, I can sell you one and put it in your package when its ready. IIRC it was $ 23 and at least this way you'll save the shipping. ;) :beer:

Thanks! sure do. Ill send you the money when i get some money on my paypal!

bummer, 100buck, damn thats a lot. but then again, also of respectable and tested backland if you aint doing it on the fly with el'cheapo parts and sleds like myself)

have just finishing up some 405nm buildsx12 and x16s and are as noobish as they come, but aint got much budget for each laser with display (intended for soley own use), and around 25US to 30US on each build with shipping for all parts and diodes and custom sinks and bost/buckdriver and host, but damn all that fidling, but a supprinsng huge joy when they work, and partically when you are as amateurish as me on the field.

my main problem for the moment is getting the tiny display into these exchangeable sink-cartridges and making the room in the alusinks, with just an dremel and cheap banggood adjustable drill-tower on the kitchentable.(tsk tsk).. metal work with out specific metal tools, a hazzle ;)

by the way, I finished a 405build yesterday (though no displaY) that was with an 1cell boost-driver and it seems to work good.(for the time being) so could keep it low key, so it aint that much down the drain when it dies.
that round bostdriver on that costed 5bucks on ebay shipped, and it was 17 or 18mm. as i recall. (it some years back since i purchase it, so it could be out of production or increased price.)
nr2 from top right
http://laserpointerforums.com/attac...r-supply-laser-diodes-img_20170224_064219.jpg
I can find the link if you need to online.// its this one..http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/i8wAAOSwpDdVfo2w/s-l1600.jpg
I have set the pod so im getting around 0.650amp at the tailcap on high drain IMR18650 sony'cells, the boostdriver its 17mm .

but it seems to work decent with the price in mind, as a boost 1cell-driver, at least to the S06J diode that i used that boostdriver on yesterday and as long as i working out of these exchangeable sinks with all fitted in there, and with host that are open for both 18650/2x16340/2x18350 i can change them according to the sinks i screw on (diode&driver and hopefully also the sub2.5a'tiny-display i will try to fitt, when i get the latest cobbersinks from lyzq2000)
the connection' i just use 2mm bananaplugs and silicone-wire 16awg to 22awg so it can cramp inside when screwing it on, would be ideel if could manage some spring-pogopins for the inner minus conn..

but im keeping it very low-key and with relative cheap items and learning as i go, so when i fuck it up' it aint to bad, my most expensiv didoes is around 20US shipped hence the 462/7677 and purchased numerous of each, so i can write some of to try & error.. (all LD-portefolio & sleds, optained at saleprices, not valid as a market-priceindication, that is way higher) Im certainly also messing things up, in this learning electric-journey i have taken the plunge on, here this winter, where you cant be out chilling with some 3dmultirotors..
but yeah it sucks when you kill these fragile items, lost an PLTB450B diode some days ago that had some promissing freak-indications, as to amp effiancy and a green Laser diode that now shining back at me in very fain red-ish mood, like it was the HAL character from the movie "2001" , - and just have destroyed a 405/450buckdriver where +LDpad came off and will try to haywire at some point, when i get comprihention on from where on the cirquit it would be best.

the S06J 5.6mm (boost 1cell left beam) very close to the BDR209 3.8mm 2cell with buck.(rightbeam on pic, plain no fog or likewise) cant tell much difference in the beam when just sensing beamcharistica here at home..

54887d1488247323-bench-power-supply-laser-diodes-img_20170227_232753.jpg

my fuck-ups..
http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/bench-power-supply-laser-diodes-99377.html#post1463724

Last edited: