Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405-g2 high output lens in modified aixiz lens nut $45 shipped UPDATED w/ new test #

jayrob

When I did the tests both lasers had fresh charged batts, I got my g-1 from jayrob less than 3 weeks ago, done 3-5 LPM tests with it, and hardly used in 3 weeks. g-2 was from stevie brand new, I ran both lasers a few minutes, then let em rest a few, then did the lens tests one right after another, so, whatever it was, I don't know. But I did do all lens tests the same way, with both lasers, and all three lenses.

So, no idea, but I did read HIMNL9's how to LPm correctly thread, and always try to utilize those methods now

Both lasers??

To test lens comparisons, you have to use the same laser. And you have to let the laser heatsink cool between testing. Because with a 445 especially, the diode will have quite a difference in power depending on how warm it is...

But the same laser must be used to compare lenses...

jakeGT

I used a 445 laser, and a 405 laser. For 405 and 445 comparisons.
I used the same 445 laser for all three lenses, and then the same 405 for all three lenses.

And also, It was aixiz 405/445 glass, 1 minute cool down, g-1, 1 minute cool down, then the g-2. I ran them about 30-45 seconds each on the LPM
Two different lasers for the same lens comparisons would be nowhere near accurate

Edit: also, is there not any slim chance that all of these lenses, even g-1 vs. g-2 or g-1 vs. g-1 that there could be some differential in the coating or any other small factor?

Last edited:

jayrob

It was this statement, and the following post, that prompted my first post...

The 405-g-1 dot really isn't good
If you've never experienced it you get quite surprised by it

This 405-g-2 I got from Stevie was seriously almost aixiz 3 element good

It sounds like the g2 is the best of both worlds. Power of the g1 and the dot size of the AixiZ.

You cannot have a different 'splash' with the G2 vs the G1, unless the aperture is smaller. And if the aperture is smaller, the power will be less.

You can't have both cleaner dot, and the same power...

jakeGT

I understand, I'm just saying, I tried to do the LPM tests as accurately and correctly as possible, and my g-2 had a good dot, slightly more splash then the aixiz 405/445 glass, and did the best power on the LPM tests. But I know that there could have been something making the g-2 output 50mW more than the g-1(on 445, 405 the g-2 was less power)

slayer650
saki302
deloriangeek
lazeerer

all your guys orders shipped today. i will update paypal with tracking #'s

hey jayrob, the only time an increase in power was realized from the g2 over the g1 was with 445, the wavelength you didnt include in your sales thread.

and btw, please dont come here to "straighten things out" when all you have to say is defense of your product and saying "if anything the g2 is slightly less efficient". I would call that "downing" on what I am selling. Do it in your own thread. Dont come here to say all this stuff okay? I havent said negative "facts" about your lenses on your thread have I?

daguin

Relax.
Facts are neither positive nor negative.
The discussion is/was about differences in output of the different lenses.
It has nothing to do with your product or his.
It is NOT your 405-G-2 lens
Neither of you MAKE the lenses.

Peace,
dave

okay i will try to keep this civil. Im just saying that its rude of him to come here stating what he did solely because 'his' tests says 'this and that'. I dont care much for his tests. Its not like I came into his sales thread with JakeGT's or my test numbers and started educating people. Seriously Dave you got to admit thats a tad rude.

My thread will have mine and anyone elses test numbers to back up what i say.
Jayrob's thread will have his test numbers to back up what he says.
I prefer that way. He need not come here stating things that people have contradicted in their own tests.

Im not sure if this came off as too aggressive or as an attack. I was just personally taken off guard by the lack of common courtesy and i would like it to be known how i feel about what has happened in my thread.

Edit: Also, if Jake feels this way about the g2 then great. why keep correcting him about it. To him, the dot looks cleaner, thats an opinion. The power output has been shown via readings from a LPM. thats fact.
why keep stating the same thing over and over again. Yea it doesnt make sense that you can have a cleaner dot without power output decreasing. But apparently the output is the same or better with 445 and he thinks the dot is awesome. Let it be.

@Dave sorry I didnt mean to own the lens or come off as its maker. but being a supplier of the lens in a complete assembly it does sometime feel like my product. I will refrain from sounding as if i make the lens from now on.

Sorry if this makes anyone mad, I will be fair and honor what i say. I try not to piss people off as long as no one walks over me. Reasonable?

Last edited:

daguin

okay i will try to keep this civil.

Everything after that point in your post was continuing the defense and extending the conflict.

It is not rude nor wrong. It is a discussion of a test and the perceptions of the tester.

It is NOT your thread nor his thread. It is the admin's thread. You have been granted posting privileges.

Don't take content discussions personally. Jayrob is probably one of the least confrontational members here.

Peace,
dave

jayrob

okay i will try to keep this civil. Im just saying that its rude of him to come here stating what he did solely because 'his' tests says 'this and that'. I dont care much for his tests. Its not like I came into his sales thread with JakeGT's or my test numbers and started educating people. Seriously Dave you got to admit thats a tad rude.

My thread will have mine and anyone elses test numbers to back up what i say.
Jayrob's thread will have his test numbers to back up what he says.
I prefer that way. He need not come here stating things that people have contradicted in their own tests.

Im not sure if this came off as too aggressive or as an attack. I was just personally taken off guard by the lack of common courtesy and i would like it to be known how i feel about what has happened in my thread.

As far as I'm concerned, I was invited into this thread by the fact that I am mentioned in your very first post.

Making comparisons with the 'jayrob 405-G-1'...

So I am just clarifying some statements that were wrong.

I mean read the comments early in the thread. First, the whole thing is a comparison to the 'jayrob 405-G-1'. And then somehow people start thinking or saying that the G2 has a better dot with more power??

This is impossible...

If I'm going to be compared to, then I will state the facts that were left out or not understood properly...

12x set to 500mA
aixiz 405/445 glass lens- 657mW peak
jayrob 405-g-1- 794mW peak
Steviedezie 405-g-2 mod- 792mW peak!

Last edited:

jakeGT

I don't want anybody being upset with me. All I did were tests. I did them 110% to the best of my abilities. And following the guidelines of accurate LPM testing methods, from HIMNL9. The only reason I used the g-1 was because everybody is always talking about 445 glass vs. G-1. So I did 445 glass vs g-1 vs g-2. I did unbiased tests. I own all 3 lens types. The g-2 "I'n my tests" did better than a g-1 lens for 445 only. I used the same laser for all 3 lens tests.

Also this thread is is no way compared solely to the g-1 . It was a lens comparison of 3 different lenses. Aixiz 405/445 glass lens, a 405-g-1 lens, and a 405-g-2 lens

Sorry if I made anybody upset/mad. It was not my intention, I just liked the g-2 that I bought. It is a good lens

Once again sorry, I'm out

plexus

I haven't tried the G2 but I do use jayrob's G1's exclusively in the lasers I have that will accept an aizix lens. to be honest i have not found any significant splash using a G1 over the Aixiz. My focus is raw power so a little bit of splash, if its there, is fine with me.

Like daguin and jayrob have pointed out, a difference of 50mw or so in the context of such high outputs is insignificant. Also, the output of pointers changes quite a bit over time, especially as the LD heats up. I dont think it would be possible to do a statistically accurate comparison with a pointer. You would need a TEC cooled labby with feedback to keep the laser output constant to do a fair test.

For my own tests, I do not have a 445 labby or a labby that accepts an aixiz lens carrier. but i use a freshly charged battery in a room temp cooled 445 build with a constant current driver (also important for doing comparisons). put in the aixiz and measure. then, let the laser cool, put in another freshly charge battery, put in the G1 and measure. I get at least +30% out of the G1. but thats * ~ * 30% meaning "around 30%". plus or minus, what? I have no idea. I would guess +-10% to be fair. Typically if the Aixis is doing peak 1.1W, i will get peak 1.4W with the G1.

I use the peak capture on my Kenon LPM when doing these comparisons. Average measurements are too misleading because of the variations in power output over time/temperature. That's my methodology, anyway.

these are jakeGT's test numbers for my newer spacer design:

12x set to 500mA
aixiz 405/445 glass lens- 657mW peak
jayrob 405-g-1- 794mW peak
Steviedezie 405-g-2 mod- 792mW peak!

Guidesman 445, a140 diode, v5 driver set to ~1.4A
Aixiz 405/445 glass lens- 1,412mW peak
Jayrob 405-g-1 - 1,557mW peak
Steviedezie 405-g-2 with mod- 1,597mW peak!

According to these results, there was a 2mw difference between the jayrob G1 and the steviedezie G2 which is 0.25%. In the second the difference was 20mw or 1.25%.

IMHO, these differences are MEANINGLESS:

-apparently measured with an LPM using a peltier TEC because. this kind of sensor is slow and unable to respond to fast changes in power therefore peak measurements with this kind of sensor are misleading

- most hobbiest LPMs are lucky to read +-5% so these differences are well within the tolerance of the LPM measurement range. In other words the differences in power readings can not be attributed to the lenses.

- laser pointers will offer wide deviations from test to test due to the a lack of power supply regulation and temperature regulation. Therefore the variances in power output will be much wider than these differences, again which can not be attributed to the lenses.

Unless I, personally, got a G2 to test I am going to stick with G1's because I know the output is ~+30%. I have absolutely no problem spending the money to get this increase in power because frankly, it pays for itself because you can run the LD at lower current there-by increasing its life.

I will just keep buying my G1's from jayrob but that's not to say Steviedezie is not a good option. You choice. Choices are good.

Last edited:
@plexus

Hey man if you want to do testing of the G2 I would gladly send you one. I will cover for return shipping as I always do so its only going to cost you your time.

Good news 10 more lenses in stock and ready to ship. I will try to get pics up tonight if not tomorrow night. This time i'll be sure to take detailed pictures of the lens, the lens in the aixiz nut, and of course a few beam shots.

Did some testing between the 2 lens and Assemblies today.:)

The way i tested is as fallows:

I tested the G1 Both with Jayrobs setup and with steviedezie assemble. So in other words I put the G1 in Both Lens assemblies to see the Difference. I did the Exact same thing with the G2 lens.:)

First test was with the G1 Lens In a GGW 6x diode.

405nm
G1 Jays assembly =220mW
G1 Stevie assembly = 214mW

Reversed test:

G1 Stevie assembly = 215mW
G1 Jayrob assembly = 219mW

Reverse:

G1 Stevie assembly = 1364mW
G1 Jayrob assembly = 1361mW

Now for the G2 Test. Same way.

405nm
G2 Jays assembly = 223mW
G2 Stevie assembly = 224mW

Reverse:

G2 Stevie assembly = 225mW
G2 Jayrob assembly =224mW

445nm
G2 Jays assembly =1372
G2 Stevie assembly = 1374mW

Reverse:

G2 Stevie assembly = 1381mW
G2 Jayrob assembly =1377mW

Please note my G1 lens is Alot older then my G2 lens.

So this concludes my testing. I would also like to add that the dot from steviedezie setup does Look very Nice. I have not looked at up close at long distance through goggles.

The way that his inner ring is design is not what i expected it to be. I thought that it was going to be the same diameter going straight thought the middle. However its not. It is open halfway through the ring that is the size of the outer lip of the G1/G2 Then it stops and tapers to a smaller opening. I think this is why its still putting out the power it should. SO it actually does not seem to clip the "beam" but just the Glow Part around the dot.

If it was designed with just a small opening down the center of the inner ring then it would cut and loose alot of the power. I Think.

Jays is all open and lets all light pass through.

With the 405nm i see no difference in the dot between the 2. With the 445nm diode i do see a slight difference between the 2. there is Less light glowing around the dot in Stevie assembly. Witch makes it appear that the dot it tighter.

So my final thoughts. Both lenses put out the same in power. The difference in power is not enough to make me say one is better then the other.

The 2 lens Assemblies are different witch results in a different look around the dot area. Witch i like how the dot looks with Stevie assembly. However this is a personal preference.

Bottom line as i said before both lens are Great and are comparable with each other.

I like both the assemblies.

I am happy with either Assemble or lens.

Hope my testing Helps.

:gh:

Last edited: