Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

$4.35 405nm eBay pen SUPER OVERSPECT Must see!!

maybe you were just lucky Pman-- I stand by my warning swapping ends is NOT the best way to know polarity and as DTR explained to me- short tests can be done sometimes without immediate fail BUT if you insist on doing this more you stand a chance for damage -AND some drivers are designed to fail before the diode can-- so reverse polarity protection may not protect ALL we want it to..

Its smarter to wait on advice from your source before trying to swap battery ends-

I wish I could say I know this.. not by killing a nice laser or two that way. But that is not the case..

make a mark on your tailcap or inside the batt tube but dont rely on your memory unless you only own a few lasers..

Pman

100% agree ^^. Works with the cheap Chinese pens I have but if you try it with anything else you are likely going to blow the driver or diode. Did this myself with an expensive unit but luckily only blew the driver.

The other ones I purchased from "overfeel" came and had basically the same results and are the correct ones:)

Last edited:
So from all this do we know the best source for OSpec 405s regardless of shipping time. I want at least 4 Blue-ray penpointers to place in heatsinks and combine- if that works I may want to do this also with those reds--

Etimeshop- was a good source --I wont pay more than $3 each w/free ship--

so ya'll keep p;osting your metering results TY-------hk

Pman

I would like to know if the $3 ones have the same lens setup as the ones I buy as well as any $3 reds.

I took one of the $3 reds apart and the diode is one I have never seen and looks nothing like the ones in the 405 pointers-- but very bright and tiny thin beam--
at one tyime i knew where on Ebay we could buy heat sinks made for standard pointers -- but last time i looked for them they were gone-- I think they should be removed from the brass 'jacket' to make better contasct with the HS- expect to ruin the first one you try to free-- IMO the best way is to use a dremel and make a cut lengthways then peel off the outer layer on metal-- so one good use for a dead pointer is learning how to open one w/o ruining it. hk

I took one of the $3 reds apart and the diode is one I have never seen and looks nothing like the ones in the 405 pointers-- but very bright and tiny thin beam--
at one tyime i knew where on Ebay we could buy heat sinks made for standard pointers -- but last time i looked for them they were gone-- I think they should be removed from the brass 'jacket' to make better contasct with the HS- expect to ruin the first one you try to free-- IMO the best way is to use a dremel and make a cut lengthways then peel off the outer layer on metal-- so one good use for a dead pointer is learning how to open one w/o ruining it. hk

Pman

The last 2 batches from the 2 sellers had one each of red and purple that pushed right out after I took the cap off to make them focus-able. Kept a red one in parts in case I want to use the module for something and the pen as a host for a future build. I didn't realize the 405nm was so loose until after I made it focus-able and went to screw in the battery section and the spring tension pushed the module forward. Since I had already done the work, I epoxied the module so it wouldn't move. Probably should have kept it all for parts though.
Interesting Len. Let us know if you happen to find some stuff.

Last edited:

USAbro

I make heat sinks my self.

I stack copper coated pennies and solder together. Then drill a hold through. Done it several times. I also stack copper and aluminum washers to make heat sinks.

upaa27

I stack copper coated pennies and solder together. Then drill a hold through. Done it several times. I also stack copper and aluminum washers to make heat sinks.

Not too pretty though.

I say machine one if you have the machines or just fork out the money

USAbro

The penny ones aren't pretty but the washers can be quite attractive.

at one tyime i knew where on Ebay we could buy heat sinks made for standard pointers -- but last time i looked for them they were gone--
hak like these?
4 Pieces to 5 Heat Sink Used | eBay

USAbro, my first -diode- handheld (I had built a HeNe HH many years ago, before p0inters existed) I used I think 25mm (Stovebolt?) washers I had stacked and soldered together atop the electric stove.. that is the laser in my avatar :)

Gadget

Well...My pen 3-pack from Overfeel came yesterday.

Metered on Radiant X4
405nm - 54 mW
532nm - 38mW
650nm - 105mW