Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3w laser video gone viral CNN News

Styro....Discovery said you name is Drake Anthony? is this true?
Yup, that's my name!

Did you talk in the interview, or did you just have them put text on the screen. :p
Nah I spoke for the interview. :D As usual, the news station screwed up about every piece of information that I gave them.
Video: Central Illinois Man Builds 'Real-Life' Light Saber

The local newspaper did a better job though: Eureka native creates working lightsaber - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

They both left out the part where I tell them that it's not a lightsaber. :rolleyes:

Yup, that's my name!

Nah I spoke for the interview. :D As usual, the news station screwed up about every piece of information that I gave them.
Video: Central Illinois Man Builds 'Real-Life' Light Saber

The local newspaper did a better job though: Eureka native creates working lightsaber - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

They both left out the part where I tell them that it's not a lightsaber. :rolleyes:

well safety tips and plain text doesn't make good drama .
Which is pretty much the ONLY thing on the news these days

Encap

I don't understand why the media people pick up on it to begin with---there are hundreds of laser videos?

Local human interest story I guess because of the you tube video getting a lot of attention for whatever reasons..

Anyway, styropyro you are doing a good job of keeping things on a positive note/spin, with the media people.

tonyt

I don't understand why the media people pick up on it to begin with---there are hundreds of laser videos?

Local human interest story I guess because of the you tube video getting a lot of attention for whatever reasons..

Anyway, styropyro you are doing a good job of keeping things on a positive note/spin, with the media people.

I could almost guarantee you that it's the host.. Someone in a news room was looking through YouTube videos and went "hey, that looks like a light saber" and told someone who told someone in charge who thought it would get ratings..

That host is a huge part of the video's success because it looks nothing like the typical modded flashlight. That Sirius host really adds to the effect of that video and the whole "lightsaber" effect.

When interviewed by a local newspaper, I made sure that they put in a section on safety.
Anthony has been experimenting with lasers since he was 12, inventing tools using laser pointers and diodes extracted from DVD players. His parents always made him wear protecive goggles, and he still follows the practice.

“It’s absolutely not a toy, and it’s a big eye hazard if you don’t use goggles,” said Anthony, who hopes to turn his pre-med major and interest in lasers into a career as a doctor.

I read a few comments before actually watching the video and thought that they were making some piece to encourage legislation or restrictions on lasers... I then watched the video and they were just complimenting him on a job well done. Styro does also push for laser safety in every video, and I'd much rather have the hungry masses flock to him instead of kip....

Cudos to you for making onto the news Styro! Your youtube channel seems to be doing as well as I remember :D.

At least the news report emphasizes "Star Wars fan" and "lightsaber" and not "burning laser." They did a good job putting a positive spin on it.

benmwv

When this got posted on hackaday all those back seat assholes were freaking out about it. I stood up for you but still many insisted on giving you safety lectures on a subject you clearly know more about than any of them

I hope you get in that show and can spread some good publicity.

I'm surprised you're only 20. I'm 18 and I remember watching your videos on the good ole phr when I was 14 or maybe 13 and making my first blueray. You must have been 15 or so when you made that video, impressive.

benmwv

Yes thats the one!

Except I used the o-like black module when I built it. Took me a few sleds to get that right ;) Good times.

I transplanted that diode into a pen host, still running like a champ @114ma 5 years later.

Stin

This video become semi-popular on reddit on the 25th and then again on the 28th of May which is when I saw it. It was on the frontpage of r/videos. Looking back at the statistics of the videos it seems that's when it started to get really popular so that may be a reason for its virality (Reddit causes these things often and then it is shared to a bunch of other sites, but that's not always the case).

Links:
Massive 3-watt handheld laser burns things. : videos
Watch this homemade ?lightsaber? quickly burn through everything put in front of it : videos

Congratulations on all your success with your videos! I remember watching a few of them