Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3W 365nm Flashlight build.

• Thread starter Deleted member 16589
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16589

Sry I'm late. What influenced you to go with the name brand LED when 3W 365nm LED's go for 10X less on ebay?

As stated the chinese ones have less true optical output
The 3 watt LED engine -------Luminous Flux/Radiant Flux: 800 mW
Chinese ebay 3 watt ------------- Luminous Intensity: 50~55mW
And I even tracked down the led manufacturer via Alibaba and the specs are the same

watch the second video in OP it shows the difference.
I needed this light to cure CRL UV 702 and the Chinese one took to long.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a few possible uses I wanted to experiment with and this build inspired me to build my own UV light with a decent diode ty, tons more UV output than Chinese LED's. Not a fancy build but it's effective.

LZ4-44UV00-0000 LED Engin | Mouser

Attachments

• 20160502_205823.jpg
    20160502_205823.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160502_205836.jpg
    20160502_205836.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20160502_210001.jpg
    20160502_210001.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

Nice That looks awesome If you don't mind me asking how much did that LED set you back.
Mouser appears to be out of stock.
Edit Nvr mind looking at wrong page I see the price Not too bad for 4 emitters.

That's great, I love the UV adhesives and have been using 405nm and a UV flashlight with 60 or so leds but I don't know what frequency it really is, I get good results but I do have to go over the adhesive for several seconds.

This brand I use is supposed to be good for glass and non ferrous metal, I mostly use it for bonding aluminum to fused silica and quartz and have had good results, but if you know of a better type/brand/formulation I would appreciate it.

This stuff has a tiny bit of a slick almost oily residue that dissipates or I clean it up after the adhesive solidifies, it even has a hint of chemical smell.

I have not noticed any trouble with outgassing but again if you know of a better kind, I will look up the 702 you mentioned, but a link would be cool too, Thanks.

I do shake it a bit before use but it is thick, so maybe I should shake it longer? It works great I just don't understand the oily residue I clean it up with a clean paper towel, no solvents or water, but would rather it didn't have it at all.

51241d1462250466-3w-365nm-flashlight-build-sany0806.jpg

Attachments

• SANY0806.JPG
    SANY0806.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 178
  • SANY0820.JPG
    SANY0820.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

That's great, I love the UV adhesives and have been using 405nm and a UV flashlight with 60 or so leds but I don't know what frequency it really is, I get good results but I do have to go over the adhesive for several seconds.

This brand I use is supposed to be good for glass and non ferrous metal, I mostly use it for bonding aluminum to fused silica and quartz and have had good results, but if you know of a better type/brand/formulation I would appreciate it.

This stuff has a tiny bit of a slick almost oily residue that dissipates or I clean it up after the adhesive solidifies, it even has a hint of chemical smell.

I have not noticed any trouble with outgassing but again if you know of a better kind, I will look up the 702 you mentioned, but a link would be cool too, Thanks.

I do shake it a bit before use but it is thick, so maybe I should shake it longer? It works great I just don't understand the oily residue I clean it up with a clean paper towel, no solvents or water, but would rather it didn't have it at all.

51241d1462250466-3w-365nm-flashlight-build-sany0806.jpg
AFAIK if residue Is left over your UV light is not strong enough.
Glad to see I'm not the only one using this stuff.
CRL UV702 High Viscosity UV Adhesive - 30g

Its expensive stuff but just like First contact Worth every penny. Ive never tried anything other than some type of Norland brand ( i dont remember wich ) Lazeerer tipped me off about this its stronger than any nor land he could find. which is sand since noreland is an optics company.

I use this stuff to stick mirrors and optics to mounts that I never want to come off.

I'm not familiar with this type of adhesive. I'm guessing that UV light cures it yes? I have seen my dentist use UV light to harden dental sealant on my teeth which is what maked me think thats what this product does.
Nice build Zach. rep for you.

@laserman @redcowboy I want to try using this UV glue. What works better...405 or a longer WL? Where did you buy your UV light? Is it better to purchase a UV LED and if so, which one?

@laserman @redcowboy I want to try using this UV glue. What works better...405 or a longer WL? Where did you buy your UV light? Is it better to purchase a UV LED and if so, which one?

Go back a page and read through the thread.

Its expensive stuff but just like First contact Worth every penny.

I've been curious about this stuff. Compared to epoxies does it have a good bond strength on smooth surfaces and how flexible is it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

I've been curious about this stuff. Compared to epoxies does it have a good bond strength on smooth surfaces and how flexible is it?

Never used epoxy on glass to metal but this stuff is strong. I glued a lens to a retaining ring a wile back and I let the lens drift before I cured it. I broke the lens and bent the ring but failed to get it off :tinfoil:
The UV 702 is not at all flexible but IIRC Norland makes some flexible kind.

Generally speaking the bond strength is on the magnitude of if you mess up your screwed.

At first I just glanced at this and thought it said a 3 watt 465nm build and was thinking whoa that's sick! Until I realized that was ultraviolet lol
I'm just tired from working all night. Very nice though

Sorry about that. I think Mauser still has the LED for 35 plus other for a lot more. As everyone knows, we have to be really careful with these....the eyeball does not like them.

The 405nm works, I think 385nm may work faster and get the little bit around the bond that seems to be tacky sometimes, like when I use a lot to fill in a valley or a void.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

The 405nm works, I think 385nm may work faster and get the little bit around the bond that seems to be tacky sometimes, like when I use a lot to fill in a valley or a void.

Yea 365nm works fast.
Did you watch part 2 of that video i linked its not really made for thick amounts.
Whats the power of the 405nm I used a 90mW and it did squat.
I use a flash of the 365 to harden it in an instant but then a few minutes under a normal blacklight to fully cure it. I use something similar to this.
41z5KhBXXnL._SY355_.jpg

You can cure it in a pinch with just a blacklight but it takes maybe 30 minutes and its not a very good bond. It only works if you remove the plastic cover.

Adit: BTW what show was that in the background :p sounded like the show What On Earth.

I have to owe you a rep again, Thanks.
I think it was that show, sometimes it's just background noise to drown out my tinnitus.

Last edited:

Benm

I'm not familiar with this type of adhesive. I'm guessing that UV light cures it yes? I have seen my dentist use UV light to harden dental sealant on my teeth which is what maked me think thats what this product does.
Nice build Zach. rep for you.

It's comparable indeed.

One big advantage over things like 'superglue' that spontanously polymerizes is that you can apply it carefully as a liquid, check if everything is good, and only then decide to cure it into place with UV light.

That said it does not care about the source of the UV light at all, and will probably set from exposure to direct sunlight as well, so tinker with this stuff only indoors and away from windows as a decent amount of UV will make it though a common window on a sunny day.