Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3G iPad=awesome.

A small laptop, you mean a netbook? I'm on a 10.1" netbook right now because it's all I've got. It took maybe five minutes to get used to. I can type reasonably fast and the touchpad isn't that small. HP Mini 110 1033CL, six cell battery, four hour battery life with constant use. 160gb hdd/1gb ram, $267 shipped, refurbished, from TigerDirect. I'll always think netbooks are better, simply because I prefer them, despite being a big guy, it doesn't bother me. The keys are rather large for the keyboard, not a centimeter of space has been wasted :na:

Grix

it has all the uses a small laptop does, just better.

No, it does not. It can't even do half the things a laptop can do, and that's my point.

Also I'd rather use a big and bulky but powerful laptop than a netbook, I don't really know why I used "small" in my example..

There are touch screen laptops you know?

A computer should be able to do more than internet and show pictures, hell my android phone does more than that. I don't even need to type on it, I just talk to it and it types.

-rep for the ipad, the overrated fly swatter cat toy.

Laptop touch screens are absolute shit, this is a HUGE capacitive screen which is my absolute favorite interface of all time. It's s ton of fun to use opposed to netbooks and you can use it ANYWHERE. The only cons are price and annoying spell check, you can all keep acting stuck up cause it's cool to hate apple, but I'll just lol at the fact you never get to use an iPad :na:

Edit:there's also no flash, cause apple is retarded but it's worth it.

No flash? Even my phone has flash, and I can use it anywhere and it makes phone calls too!

And the screen?

New HP TouchSmart TX2 With Capacitive Multi-Touch Technology » My Digital Life

That is the first one I found, I'm sure there are more.

Not to argue or anything, I only mean this as a freindly discussion, but there are more cool products out there that are not Apple. Most people walk around with blinders on not knowing what else is out there so I say take off the apple blinders! There are better products out there than the Ipad!

Of course there are better products... I am by no means an apple fanboy, but this ipad is amazing. And I have used other capacitive touch screens on ore devices, but they absolutely suck... The screen feels gross and sticky as well... The iPad just sort of flows. And right now I'm not using flash anyway, so I don't mind at all.

I was playing with an iPad a while back in a store. I could see what people see in them, fast, thin, but a netbook or something gives you shittons more freedom. Lets see you put a different OS on the iPad.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really wish apple just let it run OS X, instead of this crippled iOS or whatever. On the iPad, it's definitely a case of hardware>software.

I would hate to pay that much for something and still be limited. But, I guess if it turns your crank. :)

I wonder if it will ever be cracked or jailbroken to run something like linux.

I have no idea what jailbraking an iphone does, but something to "open up" the pad will probably come around.

If an Apple product is "broken" into, and becomes open source, it's generally a big deal.

iPad+Linux = LOTs of opportunity.

pHeneX

I had Linux back on my 5th gen iPod Video, was fun to play Doom on it :)
Jailbreak for iPad is also available, but no Linux.. yet.

At first I also though the iPad was useless, but damn its just so much fun to play with it..
You cant really tell the feeling of it unless you had one in your hands ;)

Btw. i got an iPhone 4 instead of the iPad :beer:
(No antenna problems here in Germany, must be the AT&T aerials :eek:)

Personally, I see no use for the Ipad. My friend has one, which he uses at school. Basically it just makes things harder to do than if he did without, I don't understand why he continues. All he does is read Hamlet for English on there (when we were already given physical copies) and type out documents (when we have access to a computer within arms reach...).
I may not know much about tablets (not seeing much use for them in general, at least for reading), but I know there are far better alternatives.

(No antenna problems here in Germany, must be the AT&T aerials :eek:)

There was never a problem with the antenna. Apple said that it was all due to an erroneous calculation of signal display.
Those high bars never existed.

diachi

I've used the iPad in store and I must say, I LOVED it! :D Never thought I would, but it was great. All that's missing is flash player!

Diachi-I agree, the first time surprised me as well. Also, I went to stanford, and tested the internet connection they have in the apple store there-HOLY SH*T! The whole campus is wi-fi'd, and the connection is 60MB/sec down and 50MB/sec up! Plus, I got some of the professors to show me around (they have lots of free time right now) and the Packard building has some awesome stuff! I could have stayed there for hours just looking... sadly I didn't get to go see the lab lasers. The guy I got to show me around didn't have a key to those rooms :(

Moptsp

If they could get a unique operating system on it similar to their mac's, then it would be killer. I think right now it's just got a "modified" iPod touch OS.