Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3D Printed Host - 405nm build

Hello everyone, about a year ago I got two 405nm modules from ebay. One was used to pimp my 3D printer. The main purpose for this was to expose uv-sensitive PCBs with it and etch custom PCBs. Well, that works quite okay, I made some PCBs and was able to do some other cool stuff but that's a different story.
So I had a second module which left over. I bought it in case I would screw one laser up.
They were advertised as 500mW lasers, but they are really not. I measured 110mW however thats no problem, they weren't expensive too. Back then I just needed some kind of 405nm laser and don't wanted to wait too long.

Finally I build a laser using it. I have no host laying around, so I printed one myself.
I did this once already for a 445nm 1W laser, but the host turned out quite ugly actually.
This time I wanted it to look a bit nicer. Using blender (free 3D modeling program) I designed a host. I really like those "low poly" pictures, so I tried to design a "low poly" host.

A few comments about the printing:
I used black PLA filament. Thats maybe a bit boring, but I have no other material here unfortunately. There exists glow-in-the-dark filament, which would surely look amazing on an 405nm laser.
The layer hight was 0.2mm. I could go down to 0.1mm but it took already 4h to print. I don't wanted to wait twice as long. I can share the .stl file for the host if somebody is interested. The model was sized up by 3% for printing because of shrinking of the material. PLA doesn't shrink that much, but 3% was almost to less. I had to do some finishing to get everything together.

So here are some pictures:

This is a screen shot of the host before being printed:

xy39jbel.png

This is just the host, freshly printed:

uegldqd2.jpg

Here are all parts used in this build. I removed the long part of the laser module housing
in order to make it fit better. But those b*stards have glued the driver to the housing, so the first thing I did was braking of the diode from the driver. Luckily nothing got damaged, the solder joints broke off, not the pins.

jhdrwzmf.jpg

There is place to add a switch. But I have no one laying around, so I used some wire to close the contact. The switch is like a splint pin. If I put it in, I can rotate it to close the contact. This is not ideal, I know, but a quick solution which works pretty well.

z84g3rf9.jpg

And the most important thing, some lasin'. Those pictures were taken with f1.8 ,iso 50 and 2s shutter speed using a smartphone:

wuobl79w.jpg

qjrjg294.jpg

I hope you like it :)

Greetings from Germany, MrMcChicken :beer:

Nice build, I remember a little while back a member, Rivem, and I were looking into 3D printed laser hosts. There's a social group about it if you're not in already.

Anyway good job, I like the low poly!

Thank you :)

I just made another pic in a steamy bathroom.
Sorry for the angle. Directuplaod is a mess on a mobile phone.

wq9alt5k.jpg

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Very nice to see more 3D printed hosts. Nice design. How comfortable is holding it?
Good job. :beer: +rep

BobMc

Attractive host, like the design. Curious about the run time with the 3D printed host, see you have a heat sink, does the host dissipate the heat decently? Anyways nicely done!

Thanks again :). It isn't that unconfortable, well it is quite edgy, but the edges aren't sharp.
The host isn't cold to touch, because it is plastic.
That's the reason the thermal dissipation isn't great.
However the outputpower isn't that big, so it can run serval minutes before getting warm. I don't see there any problem with this build.
I am planning to build another red one with 500mW in a similar host. This could get a bit problematic. I have no heatsinks anyway, so it will have to wait. The heatsink in this build was intendet to be used in a C6 host.

Last edited:

BobMc

Yea, the 405's don't seem to create that much heat, I guessing run times of a minute or so with that c6 heat sink. It's nice having some matching hosts with different wave lengths in them. Best wishes with your next build. But you realize after you make a red one, a blue ones right around the corner. ? :)

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, this hobby does have a way of eating up your money. Somehow. ;)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Same for most of I gather. :p
I was going to mention 465, but I didn't want to put any more lasers in your head. :D

Hi,
Wow what a concept come to life now thats different great job Pal very interesting ..

Rich:)

Julian95, it's considered necroposting to post to old threads like this one. I've noticed you've been doing it a lot. Please stop. It is ok at look at old threads, just don't post to them. :yh: