Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

30mW Kaleidoscopic Green Laser from BudgetGadgets

30mW Kaleidoscopic Green Laser from BudgetGadgets

Intro
Most of you probably know about the kaleidoscopic 30mW that DX sells, but if you live in the US you can't get one. This laser always interested me so I decided to give it a try.

The Basics
This laser takes 2 AAA batteries, two came with the laser so you can use it out of the box. The laser feels nice in the hand because of its weight, and the button feels sturdy also. The ring used to change the beam pattern is firm and doesn't come off when you are using it.

Shipping/Packaging
Shipping took about two weeks from China, but shipping was free so I'm not complaining. This site does ship >5mW lasers to the US unlike DX/KD. It was packaged well, as you can see it came in a foam padded gift case.
star1.JPG

The case has slots for the laser and 2 AAA batteries, and like I mentioned before it came with two off-brand alkaline AAAs so it can be used out of the box. Surprisingly the cheap AAAs worked fine in the laser.
star2.JPG

Overall Appearance/Feel
The overall design of this laser looks professional and like I said earlier it feels good in the hand. The "beam pattern changer" (for lack of a better term) feels sturdy and doesn't feel cheap.
star3.JPG

As a Pointer...
This laser doesn't always have to be a star projector, you can simply unscrew the diffraction head and use it as you would any 30mW green laser :cool:
star5.JPG

Pointing the laser into its case:
star6.JPG

Burning?
Because this is only a 30mW laser, don't be expecting to do much burning with this. As you know, this is meant for display, not burning. ;) I can pop balloons unaided with this laser, and I can even light sharpied paper matches when I focus this laser to a point. But burning is the last thing you will be doing with this laser...

Con la Cabeza de Difracción ;D
Here is a picture of the laser with the Diffraction Head on:
star8.JPG

Here is a picture of pointing the laser into its gift box:
star4.JPG

To change the pattern of the dots, just turn the ring at the top of the laser. Here are a couple patterns you can get with this laser:
star9.JPG

In a dark room or outside at night this thing looks absolutely amazing! If you turn the head really fast, the dots look like fireflies all over the place! In a dark room these dots look like stars...I wish I could get a picture of how awesome this looks. This laser is so much different than anything else that I have owned, I never can set this down!

Fog!
I thought the laser looked awesome enough in a dark room, but when you add fog this thing is awesome times 10! My fog machine is fried so the next best thing was to steam up my bathroom with the shower and use long exposure on my camera. Again pictures don't describe how sweet this looks.

Up close shot of the laser:
star10.JPG

More shots of the laser with different beam patterns...
star12.JPG

star13.JPG

star14.JPG

star15.JPG

Conclusion
For the price this is one of the best lasers you can get. It is like a mini laser show in the palm of your hand!

Video:

Last edited:

Re: 30mW Kaleidoscopic Green Laser from BudgetGadg

I agree. I love this laser. It is always up to spec if not over and it has a sweet diffraction grating that you can choose to use or not. I like the feel of the case too with the rubber coating. Nice pics, good review. +1

i love it too ;)

It says "were sorry this video is no longer available" Weird

yobresal said:
It says "were sorry this video is no longer available" Weird
That was because I just uploaded it to Youtube. Try it now. BTW, thanks for the rep!

Still not available 4/7 8:25AM CDT ...

BrewCityMusic said:
Still not available 4/7 8:25AM CDT ...
That's weird, it works fine for me...

hey styro.. see my thread in general lasers... i've ordered... 2 kaleidoscopit 30mw... one from DX... one from focalprice.... i hope it is like this :) focalprice sell at THE SAME price the 20 and 30mw kaleidoscopic.. so i ordered the 30 :)

Great review! Styro, you do too many reviews. Makes me want to buy one every time I read one! ;D

But I am going to buy this one. :D They do ship to the US, right?

randomlugia said:
Great review! Styro, you do too many reviews. Makes me want to buy one every time I read one! ;D

But I am going to buy this one. :D They do ship to the US, right?
Thanks! I guess I do write a lot of reviews...I guess it is something to do over my boring Spring break, all of my friends are on vacation and I'm stuck home. ;D They do ship to the US.

Jaseth

What have you done Styro.. now I need to buy one (or maybe 4) of these!
Thanks for another one of your great reviews! My subscription to your videos has never disappointed me and you were the one who led me to LPF. You sure are bright for your age.

Jaseth said:
What have you done Styro.. now I need to buy one (or maybe 4) of these!
Thanks for another one of your great reviews! My subscription to your videos has never disappointed me and you were the one who led me to LPF. You sure are bright for your age.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that somebody actually watches my videos... ;D

AceGWC

Hi!
I would like to buy one of these, the only question bothering me, however, is where I should buy it from? DX, BestOfferBuy or is there an even better company?

Thanks in advance,
AceGWC

Careful.. I bought one of these yesterday and the BudgetGadgets website was malfunctioning (during checkout it only charged me $3.06). I got an email back from an employee of BudgetGadgets stating that I owed them a balance (which was true). The issue arose this morning when Paypal called me to tell me that my account was locked out.  Apparently, they are suspicious of BudgetGadgets, and locked my account to protect me from a "third-party intrusion"..

For the record, there was no intrusion, but the whole thing made me wonder why paypal is suspicious..