Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3.0mw vs 5.0mw

Yeah in the end I am going to buy a cheap laser like that 5mw on fasttech's site. If you endorse that one, then maybe I will get that. How was shipping and does it have a good beam/low divergence?
Also how much did that 473nm you had set you back and where did you get it? That looks great haha

the green has good divergence and comes with a diffraction cap so you can split the beam in to multiple spinning dots. the shipping was pretty good I think I chose USPS first class or Speedpost Global Express. it took like 2 weeks way better than DX. It has a good beam I love it. like any dpss laser the beam is not straight.

I got the 473 for a great deal on the forums it was like 130 it is a 5mw CNI pen. normaly it would cost $252 it is the same thing as a laserglow Aquarius. (Laserglow gets their products from CNI) The difference between mine and a normal one it that the paint on the front of the pen was coming off when I purchased it so I polished it to a mirror finish an it looks really slick and professional now. (I even used it in a presentation). if you click on its link in my sig there is more info on it otherwise it is right here

**You can not buy directly from CNI unless you are super MLG like Bloom. Every once and a while there are CNI group buys and If you participate and a certain number of people (usually 10) order the same laser you can get a massive discount on that laser. The last GB that happened(is happening)??? was for 80mW 589 units. maybe the next one will be for powerful 473 units.

If you don't mind it being a labby there is a 47mW 473 lab laser (being a lab laser it has active temperature systems so it will be way more stable and have a long to 100% duty cycle) being sold for $100 I'd get it but I already have 473 and I don't know how I'd explain a labby to my mom.**

Last edited:

He's an LG fan like me :beer: can't go wrong with one of these. I'm ok with a few extra bucks to get quality that will last. Anyways... Good luck on finding the laser you want!

Last edited:
I definitely have a lot of respect for LaserGlow, and CNI for that matter. I figured 473nm was that expensive haha I was hoping maybe you guys had found a reasonable one at a china website somewhere or something! Oh well one day I'll get one. Sounds like you got a great deal Blackwolf! Yeah no lab lasers for me, unless it's super powerful I'm always going to want a handheld module so I can take it places easily haha.

If you're satisfied with that fasttech green I am likely going to buy that, all I really need is a strong beam that stays tight and will point out stars. What do you mean by the beam not being straight? Don't know if I've ever noticed that and all I've owned are DPSSLs....
And could you possibly link me to the particular fasttech model you purchased? There are a lot of them and none of them seems to be a single AAA, small pen haha

What's the cheapest 473nm anyone has seen online? Just out of curiosity haha

Last edited:
if you want one, wait until we have a grab buy. we can typically get them from CNI for around 200 bucks. We may have one coming up soon.

Last edited:
I definitely have a lot of respect for LaserGlow, and CNI for that matter. I figured 473nm was that expensive haha I was hoping maybe you guys had found a reasonable one at a china website somewhere or something! Oh well one day I'll get one. Sounds like you got a great deal Blackwolf! Yeah no lab lasers for me, unless it's super powerful I'm always going to want a handheld module so I can take it places easily haha.

If you're satisfied with that fasttech green I am likely going to buy that, all I really need is a strong beam that stays tight and will point out stars. What do you mean by the beam not being straight? Don't know if I've ever noticed that and all I've owned are DPSSLs....
And could you possibly link me to the particular fasttech model you purchased? There are a lot of them and none of them seems to be a single AAA, small pen haha

What's the cheapest 473nm anyone has seen online? Just out of curiosity haha

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1030000
almost all dpss laser beams exit the aperture a few degrees off center.

I think someone offered a 50mW 473 pen for $150 once sold super fast

you wont find handheld 473nm lasers for cheap as the demnd to make them is quite low and the NLO crystal in 473 setups is generally only quasi-transparent to the 946nm light being pumped so that is another strike for their price and to top it off the crystal degrades from moisture making the whole process a pain in the butt so they are quite expensive. they did make some 476nm diodes but they were a small quantity engineering sample and they went for $600 per diode. one guy was lucky and got one that lased at two different wavelengths at the same time. 473 labbies are always seem to be pretty cheap

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1030000
almost all dpss laser beams exit the aperture a few degrees off center.

Awesome thanks! Gonna be ordering one of those bad boys. And huh I guess I've just never noticed that myself before.

That's good info too on the 473s, I never knew exactly why they were so much more expensive but that makes sense. As soon as I get money together again, I may be in the market for one of those....unless I can find a 589nm for a reasonable price! That is my dream laser. Yellow is my favorite color lol

Awesome thanks! Gonna be ordering one of those bad boys. And huh I guess I've just never noticed that myself before.

That's good info too on the 473s, I never knew exactly why they were so much more expensive but that makes sense. As soon as I get money together again, I may be in the market for one of those....unless I can find a 589nm for a reasonable price! That is my dream laser. Yellow is my favorite color lol

589's are pretty pricey. Your best chance to get one is at Group Buys or during companies "Sale" periods.

But I must agree with you, 589 is a pretty amazing color :D

589's are pretty pricey. Your best chance to get one is at Group Buys or during companies "Sale" periods.

But I must agree with you, 589 is a pretty amazing color :D

Yes I know they are haha and if I see a group buy when the time is right, that's definitely what I'll do. Apparently they're very hard to make, but the color is worth it!

Yes I know they are haha and if I see a group buy when the time is right, that's definitely what I'll do. Apparently they're very hard to make, but the color is worth it!

Correct! Not only is 589 hard to produce, but their duty times aren't the best either.

Most 589nm can only be turned on for 30 Sec.(If at room temp) before the yellow starts to fade.

But 593.5nm(which is a amber/yellow) color is one of the most difficult process currently. And as expected, their duty cycle are about the same as 589.

Last edited:
Blackwolf is correct, they're the same process, just a different lasing medium/coatings feeding the NLO. The difference is that 593.5nm is harder to stablize, due to the 1342 line being unstable and has heavy losses at high temps, unfortunately, the crystals get very hot naturally so it dies fast. the 1319 line is a bit harder to find, but easier to maintain once it starts (i.e. completely the opposite :p). 1319 and 1342 like to fight with each other, while 1064 eclipses them both by trumendous amounts, which is why sometimes you still get green contamination out of a yellow pointer, and you can see faint green sometimes if it gets too cold or the batteries are weak, because only 1064 is lasing, but the doubler isn't coated for 532, so the gain is minimal.

Last edited:
you can also get red 671nm I believe during the warmup phase

correct again. uses the 1342 line as well. but not as likely as the gain is even lower, and the reflectivity is lower as its farther away from the middle of the spectrum, where the coatings are more reflective

Wow you guys know wayyyy too much about this stuff lol I guess I'd better start learning! There's a lot to catch up on....

And does anyone have experience shipping from Fasttech? I don't know what to choose! I've never seen so many options....and all of these are free! Should I choose USPS First-Class, USPS First-Class ePacket via China Post, Registered AirMail via China Post, Registered Airmail via Singapore Post, Registered Airmail via Malayisa Post, or USPS First-Class via Hong Kong Post? I'm thinking USPS First-Class....the estimated transit time is 8-14 days. However, USPS First-Class via China Post says 8-10 days haha

Tmack

I just got a package from fastech. Took about two weeks. I have no idea what shipping I choose. I just saw free shipping and hit buy. USPS first class sounds good ? Lol