Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W SAIK SA-305 26650 Host W/Massive Mohrenberg Heatsink

hello nice to meet you! I wanted to know how do I set up to 900mA flexdrives. I can see some pictures? I'm doing lostesso your project. you're great!

DTR has a very good thread on setting up a Flex drive. A quick search will pull it up

hello nice to meet you! I wanted to know how do I set up to 900mA flexdrives. I can see some pictures? I'm doing lostesso your project. you're great!

I need to reshoot this tutorial as the video quality and lighting/focus really suck....but it is still usable as a good tutorial.
the test load i'm using in this video is obsolete though....this is back when our diodes could take like 400mA max.

Last edited:
DTR Hello! congratulations on your masterpiece.
I wanted to ask, if I put 3 batteries in parallel 18650 changing the battery holder and the same?
To consider that my diode and a NICHIA NDB7352

Last edited:

DTR

DTR Hello! congratulations on your masterpiece.
I wanted to ask, if I put 3 batteries in parallel 18650 changing the battery holder and the same?

I am not sure I am understanding you. This host can work with 3X10440's, a 26650 or a 32600. If you use the 3X14500's then you will need to use a linear driver as the voltage would be too high for a Flexdrive. It will not fit 3X18560's.;)

Hello DTR if not too much to ask could you give me measurements of your heatsink, I ordered the stsso your guest (SAIK SA-305 26650).

To run dual drivers you just need to hook them up in parallel and add up their combined current. I will test them individually then with them wired together. You may loose 1-2mA when reading their combined output. It has been said that it does not matter but I like to set the drivers as close to the same mA as possible.

When I say parallel I mean both wire the corresponding wires from the driver together. IE both positive output wire from the driver will go to the positive diode pin and so on for the rest. Now you can heatsink the drivers or not. If you are running say 900mA each they can go for about 5-10 minutes before overheating. But as the driver heats up there will be a slight drop in power and if you sink them you can run them continuously and without this power drop. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.;)

84069841.jpg

Morgan also did a nice thread on his dual microboost build but the flexdrive is easier to sink and is a little more efficient with current when boosting the voltage. Hope this helps.:beer:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/dual-microboost-driven-skyray-build-1-8a-55628.html#post784286
between the drive and just put dissiptore heat glue thermal or put something else to do Anhée touch the contacts.

DTR

between the drive and just put dissiptore heat glue thermal or put something else to do Anhée touch the contacts.

Yes I just use thermal adhesive between the driver and the heatsink.:beer:

To run dual drivers you just need to hook them up in parallel and add up their combined current. I will test them individually then with them wired together. You may loose 1-2mA when reading their combined output. It has been said that it does not matter but I like to set the drivers as close to the same mA as possible.

When I say parallel I mean both wire the corresponding wires from the driver together. IE both positive output wire from the driver will go to the positive diode pin and so on for the rest. Now you can heatsink the drivers or not. If you are running say 900mA each they can go for about 5-10 minutes before overheating. But as the driver heats up there will be a slight drop in power and if you sink them you can run them continuously and without this power drop. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.;)

84069841.jpg

Morgan also did a nice thread on his dual microboost build but the flexdrive is easier to sink and is a little more efficient with current when boosting the voltage. Hope this helps.:beer:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/dual-microboost-driven-skyray-build-1-8a-55628.html#post784286

Thank you for the quick reply. This answered nearly all of my questions. I understand the need for heatsinking these drivers. I was the first to point out that the flickering from the drivers was related to the thermal protection of these drivers kicking in. (not many people believed me tho)

So in theory if you were to take one driver set at 900ma and one driver set at 500ma, you would get 1400ma. Or if both were set to max at 1.2A each, you'd combine to a total of 2.4A I would imagine this would dramatically reduce the amount of runtime You would get off a single battery (regardless of size) since it's drawing a lot more.

Could you use 3 in parallel as well? NVM I answered my own question.. This is why the AMC7135 can be combined with MULTIPLE AMC7135 chips to increase the current up and up.

Yes I just use thermal adhesive between the driver and the heatsink.:beer:

thanks for the answers DTR. I know ritiare sent to the heat spreader where I had recommended you. you're a big thank you

thanks for the answers DTR. I know ritiare sent to the heat spreader where I had recommended you. you're a big thank you

Nice work cant wait until my laser is done. Thanks a lot! :wave:

My parts where in the post today, i tested the diode with one of the 5v flexdrives and i had to say awesome. :drool: Even at 900mA its peretty bright. I will wait for my laserbee to test the efficiency and unfortunately i had to wait for the host.
If its done i will post my experience.

Thanks a lot again! :beer:

Last edited:
Hey DTR i have a big problem,
I set both flexdrive at ca. 900mA if i measure the input i get on the first flexdrive 0,92A on the other 0,94A all right.
But if i put the flexdrives together i get an input of only 0,80A and the beam is not so bright as it is with one flexdrive.

I use 32600 akkus 4000mAh 3V from ultrafire. And yes my wirering is all right. :undecided: Could it be that the akku does not supply enough power.