Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2w blue laser lens problem

Does anyone know where I can buy a 445nm blue laser window?

The window is built into the diode and is not replaceable. If you had the tool required to remove the diode from the module you could attempt to decan the diode but this must only be done by someone that knows what they are doing and it isn't always sucessful. Some have successfully broken the window without damaging the diode, but doing this is high risk also, if the glass falls back inside it can also kill the diode. It is best to never try to clean the diode window, if you keep the lens in at all times you should never get any dust in there to get it dirty in the first place.

Alan

well I think a miracle just happened because I tried using neal polish remover (acetone) to clean it one last time and now half of the beam is back to the normal rectangle! I will try it again to see if I can get the whole thing back to normal. Like what the heck? how is this even possible?!?

Update: I tried cleaning it again, and it stayed the same: half normal rectangle, half screwed up. So, I tried rubbing it harder with a dry qtip and it got 100% messed up. I rubbed it again and it was back to half and half. With this, I think I broke half of the window out the first time I cleaned it tonight. This can also be the reason why I can only see half of the window. The other half of the window is dark and I can't see crap about it.

Don't apply to much force cleaning the window. It might just crack or fall inside the can.

Try different solvents - acetone, isopropanol, even water. Get the best quality as you can. You don't want to leave residues after a solvent evaporates; except water.

The best thing is to avoid cleaning - don't remove a lens from the mount to prevent dust coming inside.

You can try sticking a dry qtip on teh window and spinning it a bit to see if you get a clean output. I've done it before.
I'm fairly sure these windows have an AR coating or something on them that seems to get messed up when you smear a qtip across them.
You should never touch the diode window with anything. But since you have already, do it again lol and try to correct it.
I normally just press a Qtip directly on it and give it a few spins, turn it on, and see if it's good, if not then give it a few more spins.

You can also remove the window completely.
This is risky, and should only be done as a last resort.
I dont even remember how I removed the window, i've only done it once before though.

Last edited:
Hi,
You will definitely have to take the can off. Then the diode will be good as new but naked. Mind you if you do get anything on it after that that diode it toast period. There's a decanting tool I bought just for that it's from Thorlabbs it work on all three size diode packages. Good luck take your time with this procedure .l
Or you can see if DTR will Declan it for a price rend him a PM .

Last edited: