Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W+ 445nm - First Build Finsihed

Well, it's done! After much research, shopping, ordering, building and replacing, I've succesfully built my 445nm, and it's beautiful. I feel like I've gotten something from Star Trek :D I must also say I'm a little terrified of it...

First off, thanks to the LPF community. I've been amazed by how helpful and active everyone is here. :bowdown:

Based on the discussion going on over the 9mm diodes, I'm guessing this is about 2.3-2.5W(?), since I set the driver to 2.2A (I don't have a LPM so I can't measure)

Specs & Features:
  • 9mm 445nm Diode (x2 since I killed the first in 20 minutes)
  • Included single element lens (retainer from jayrob)
  • BlitzBuck V3 Driver (set to about 2.2A)
  • Survival Laser Stainless Steel Host + Extension
  • Keyswitch (Win!)
  • (x3) AW IMR 18350 Batteries

I built a test load out of 4 x 1N5404 diodes and a 10W 1ohm resistor from RadioShack. I'm a little concerned that the resistor has 10% tolerance, but seems like it worked...

After setting the BlitzBuck to HI current mode, I found it was already at a good level. :) I cut a hunk of old southbridge heatsink off, and glued it to the driver with some arctic alumina.

It was easy install the keyswitch in this host, as the clicky screws out of the back. I got the switch itself from Grainger. After filing down the nut so it would fit inside the extender tube and soldering a cap and battery spring over the contacts it worked perfectly.

The host wasn't quite big enough to hold 4x 18350 cells, but with the keyswitch, it fits 3 nicely.

I was sure I would kill the diode with ESD but it turns out I killed it with a bit of glue. The first time I wasn't careful cleaning the diode and included lens:

A few minutes after I got it all closed up, I think I knocked a bit of it loose while focusing and burned a hole in the diode window. :cryyy: On Wednesday, my replacement diode arrived and it's worked perfectly since.

I definitely recommend that anyone who gets one of these diodes clean it carefully, and inspect it after initial use to make sure the window is safe. Acetone works well.

I've run it for maybe 2 minutes and it gets pretty warm, despite the nice copper heatsink this host has. I'm not sure how hot is too hot, so I haven't run it for longer. I may also apply some extra thermal compound.

On to the beamshots! These are in dry Colorado air, with no added smoke :)
img20120629225939medium.jpg

(Sorry for messy garage and the poor quality, they're from my cellphone since I don't want to damage my real camera)

:thanks:

Last edited:

Molo

oooooo, very nice. Also I envy you for living in Colorado, such nice scenery. :D

Congrats and well done on your first build. The key switch was interesting... :gj: +1

If you ask around, you maybe able to save that first diode. Blord, Daguin, and JLSE, for example all have experience with decanning. If you contacted them, maybe they could help or offer some advice on how to do it. :beer:

Thanks!

Congrats and well done on your first build. The key switch was interesting... :gj: +1

If you ask around, you maybe able to save that first diode. Blord, Daguin, and JLSE, for example all have experience with decanning. If you contacted them, maybe they could help or offer some advice on how to do it. :beer:

Hmm... I may, although I'm not sure how much hope there is for it. When I removed it, it wasn't even putting out even the dim light I had right after it burned anymore.

Oh and thanks for the rep! :)

Last edited:
I've been thinking about that... 3W would make me very excited! I have a relative that works at the University of Colorado Physics Dept -- I'll see if they have access to an LPM, maybe I wouldn't have to mail it off...

Last edited:
Wow, congrats to your nice build.

Sorry for your first diode. Hopefully you can get it resurrected...

Thanks for taking detailed shots of your laser.

DTR

Very nice. Congrats on your first build.:beer:

Very nice build!

Glad the BlitzBuck worked for ya. And good for you that you heatsinked it. It *shouldn't* need it, but a little bit cooler-running can never hurt :D