Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mW mxdl bluray from Daguin - mini review

Daguin's communication/support was excellent. just as you'd like, he replied to PM's almost immediately.
i think he shipped the laser out on saturday and i recieved it in the uk the following wednesday.
the parcel was packaged very professionally, with lots of peanut/bubblewrap in a flat cardboard box.
to my surprise i recieved a bonus package which consisted of 25 pieces of optics. i've not had a chance to play with the optics yet but i did see some FS mirrors/prisms/filters/focusing lenses and many many more optics which i dont recognise, nor do i know what they do. not everyone sends out a kit of 25 optics for free, thanks Dave!
i cant say how much i paid for this, it will cause havoc but i will say it was way below $200.
this is the infamous phr803t diode with a lava flexdrive in the MXDL host, running off 3 AAA batteries.
this is an experimental unit running at 200mA, maybe one of the highest powered blurays about so it has a strict duty cycle of no more than 45 secs on.
when testing the output on my Kenometer, i did 3 tests, each lasting for 45 seconds.
the average output during these tests was 203mw.
so overall im very pleased with the laser, its alot more stable than i expected.
the only thing i ever doubted was the host. it looked really big when i saw the pics but in reality its alot smaller and sturdy and fits in the hand nicely.
the beam is noticeably brighter than the 85mw bluray side by side but not too much brighter that it drowns it. i popped a balloon instantly from 3 meters away and lit a match up close. im sure when focused correctly, it may light a match at 2 meters. now, its just a matter of me adapting to the short duty cycle this laser has. im sure this will quickly become one of my favourites.
thanks again to Dave for sending me an amazing laser at a special price.

Attachments

• Photo099B.jpg
    Photo099B.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 87

85mw on the left, 200mw on the right

Attachments

• Photo136B.jpg
    Photo136B.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 117

daguin

darklandz said:
85mw on the left, 200mw on the right

Pretty cool, eh? That beam is why I push them ;)

I'm pleased it made it through the post.

Have fun.

Peace,
dave

Nice laser you got yourself there :)

Keep us informed as to how long the diode will last, I am getting bored of my conservative 162ma build, need more juice, hopefully someday I will get a 803t diode in the upper wavelength range of its specifications, that will be damn cool.

Hey daguin, I remember reading one of your posts in which you stated that you have a 85mw 803t build that due to its higher wavelenght is brighter than one of your 150+mw builds. Have you considered pushing the 85 one to a comfortable 150ish? That beam would/should look pretty impressive imo.

BTW: what is going on with the 300ma build, still alive and kicking?

Thanks
brtaman

That is one impressive laser, 200wM of 405nm is quite impressive. It looks like Dave did created another great build, and he threw in 25 bonus optics which is pretty cool too.

because it is 200mW you should buy some glow tiles and show us how bright they glow.

siop

that is AWESOME. Daguin, care to pm me the price you are selling those for?

daguin

brtaman said:
Nice laser you got yourself there  :)
Keep us informed as to how long the diode will last, I am getting bored of my conservative 162ma build, need more juice, hopefully someday I will get a 803t diode in the upper wavelength range of its specifications, that will be damn cool.
Hey daguin, I remember reading one of your posts in which you stated that you have a 85mw 803t build that due to its higher wavelenght is brighter than one of your 150+mw builds. Have you considered pushing the 85 one to a comfortable 150ish? That beam would/should look pretty impressive imo.
Thanks
brtaman

I must have missed this.  Sorry.

The "brighter" blu-ray was an 0811 diode NOT a, 803T.  They cannot take that much current.  The knee shows up just over 140mA.  The laser was tested and showed to be 415nm.  That 10nm sure made a significant difference in perceived brightness.

The 300mA laser is sitting on the shelf waiting for IgorT to get the new lens made.

LaserHawk said:
that is AWESOME.  Daguin, care to pm me the price you are selling those for?

This laser was one of my "experiments."  I normally don't run the lasers I sell over 190mA.  I have one on my desk right now that I could push up to 190mA for you. It would run you $200, shipped in the US.

PM me if you're interested.

Peace,
dave

make sure to give daguin a +1 rep for selling this to you for cheap and giving you free optics! he deserves it!

daguin said:
[quote author=brtaman link=1220747069/0#6 date=1220784731]Nice laser you got yourself there :)
Thanks
brtaman

I must have missed this. Sorry.

The "brighter" blu-ray was an 0811 diode NOT a, 803T. They cannot take that much current. The knee shows up just over 140mA. The laser was tested and showed to be 415nm. That 10nm sure made a significant difference in perceived brightness.

The 300mA laser is sitting on the shelf waiting for IgorT to get the new lens made.

LaserHawk said:
that is AWESOME. Daguin, care to pm me the price you are selling those for?

This laser was one of my "experiments." I normally don't run the lasers I sell over 190mA. I have one on my desk right now that I could push up to 190mA for you. It would run you $200, shipped in the US.

PM me if you're interested.

Peace,
dave

[/quote]

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I think that I made this post before finding the comparative brightness thread in the blu-ray section. So the 811 was putting out 415nm :O, no wonder it was that much brighter, 10nm is a huge difference especially at the end of the visible spectrum. I wonder if it is a trend that all 811s follow? Would be funny if all of a sudden 811 GB threads would start springing up, especially after so many members were disapointed in the past when they received the "inferior" diode in the xbox drive gamble. :)

brtaman

daguin

brtaman said:
Thanks for the reply, I think that I made this post before finding the comparative brightness thread in the blu-ray section. So the 811 was putting out 415nm :O, no wonder it was that much brighter, 10nm is a huge difference especially at the end of the visible spectrum. I wonder if it is a trend that all 811s follow? Would be funny if all of a sudden 811 GB  threads would start springing up, especially after so many members were disapointed in the past when they received the "inferior" diode in the xbox drive gamble. :)
brtaman

I have four more on there way to be tested now. We should have some more info by the middle of the week. Keep your fingers crossed.

Peace,
dave

Great news, glad you and pullbangdead were able to arrange these tests. It will give great insight into the nature of the 811 vs. 803 debate.

*fingers crossed*

Maybe a frog burial or two is in order? ;)

brtaman

you can use a device called a spectrometer to find wavelengths of light sources