Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"200mW" Green Laser Pen from DealPerfect - Detailed Review

DealPerfect "200mW" Green Pen Laser

My current camera is getting sent in for repair so for this review I had to use a different camera. Sorry for the bad pictures.

The Basics
DealPerfect was started by ex-DX employees so the site functions very similar to DX. The claimed power of this laser is 200mW and it runs off of 2x AAAs.

Shipping/Packaging
Shipping took about three weeks, shipping was free so I can't expect any faster from China. Packaging was a padded envelope, the laser itself came in a padded black presentation box.
dp1.jpg

Overall Appearance/Feel
The design of this laser is your typical NewWish pen. As you can see the laser came with two alkaline batteries which surprisingly worked well in the laser.
dp2.jpg

The laser feels like a block of lead compared to a lot of handhelds, this a plus because it makes it feel like this is solidly built.
dp3.jpg

Here is this laser compared to a DX Dilda and the AA 50mW from FocalPrice.
dp4.jpg

Innards
As with all NewWish pens, these are hard to take apart. I didn't pull this completely apart but a lot of aspects are obvious without completely disassembling the laser.

The circuit board of this laser is supported by a big resistor which is an improvement over the old NewWish pens. This means the circuit board won't bend down or break after some use.

This laser does heat up a bit after a lot of use, so my guess is that this uses one of the 500mW 9mm pumps.

Visibility/Output
Visibility is similar to what I remember of my old X105. This laser is very bright and goggles are recommended for close up work! My unmetered output guess is that this laser is somewhere in the vicinity of 100mW. Here is this laser compared to the WL Evo Pro 130mW (This one peaks at around 160mW):
dp6.jpg

Something unique that I noticed about this laser is that it has a "sweet spot". The beam is at its smallest at about 1-2 feet and this is where it is best at burning. I have never seen a green laser that has had a sweet spot before because they nearly always diverge from the aperture, where this one converges from the aperture.
dp5.jpg

This laser does not operate in a perfect TEM00 but is closer to TEM01. This is very hard to notice but can be picked out when pointing long distances at night. Here is the beam expanded on a wall to show the shape. As you can see it is more of an oval. Sometimes the definition of two separate beams is more apparent.
dp7.jpg

The bream diameter of this laser is fairly low which is good for burning. The beam divergence is pretty average, it is a little better than my CNI.

The laser takes about a half of a second to warm up to full power, I recorded this and when the clip is slowed down, the fact that this is not IR filtered becomes apparent.
dp8.JPG

This is nothing the piss your pants about because the IR stays very well collimated within the main green beam so you would have to be directly exposed to the green beam to get any real IR exposure, and then as we all know we have more to worry about than some IR. ;)

Burning
This laser burns pretty well for a green laser because of its sweet spot. Matches light fairly fast and balloons pop instantly. This can cut electrical tape and smoke leather and dark plastics. Watch the video to see the burning in action.

Overall: This laser does have its flaws but is still worth the $50 they charge for it. This would be a great first powerful green to somebody who doesn't feel like shelling out much money.

Video:

Last edited:

The squeaky threads are annoying but I really don't mind the button. The old NewWish buttons were no good but that was because the circuit board wasn't supported which they have recently fixed. BTW I am making a video for the FP AA model but I'm not finished yet.

Once again, great video/review. But I do have a suggestion: You might want to think about putting some lube on those threads, as they squeak pretty badly.

Nevermind, I just saw the post above mine.

That has one paper thin beam! Great review as always :gj:

Their pen lasers are NewWish.

...mmh? optotronics lasers pen ARE newwish pens?? like dealextreme?

i think it is wrong.... how can you say it?
maybe optotronics ORDER by newwish to make REALLY GOOD laser DIODE.... to sell.... diode different by the 200mw than dealextreme sell.maybe they do the same thing viasho/optotronics... where viasho makes SPECIAL laser handeld....for optotronics using the best material.... ecc..

...mmh? optotronics lasers pen ARE newwish pens?? like dealextreme?

i think it is wrong.... how can you say it?
maybe optotronics ORDER by newwish to make REALLY GOOD laser DIODE.... to sell.... diode different by the 200mw than dealextreme sell.maybe they do the same thing viasho/optotronics... where viasho makes SPECIAL laser handeld....for optotronics using the best material.... ecc..
Those Opto pen lasers are probably just regular NewWish units, Opto just inspects them before shipment to make sure they function well. Companies like Laserglow and Nova do this too, they order from CNI and only let the best lasers pass.

ok..but WHY no one dealextreme 100...150---200mw pen is so powerfull? optotronics pen can peak 180..190...also 200 PURE GREEN.. i think 220mw with IR...i am talking abut the best units.........
i don't think newwish have so powerfull laser. however...the case is like newwish in opto... but the important part of a laser pen is the diode...and it could be a diode of a god factory... putted in the stilysh newwish case becase it is THE BEST case for laser PEN in my opinion. ...put diode in half body is easyer i think!and it is well made.

With green lasers, the most important part of the laser is the crystal set, not the diode. The pump diode is very cheap and high powers don't cost much in bulk, it is how efficient the crystals are at turning 808nm into 532nm. When we are dealing with a 500mW pump diode, anything over 150mW green out is really starting to push to the edge of possible efficiency for a cheap laser. Now I do know that Optotronics claims a 1W pump diode on some of their pens, but I really would like to test one of those myself before I'm going to buy that, a lot of heat would be generated by a 1W laser diode and 2x AAA batteries really couldn't keep up for long.

There are units from DX that are claimed to be 200mW that do put out over 150mW, but there are also a lot that don't. Jack probably only lets the best ones past because units over 150mW are rare.

With green lasers, the most important part of the laser is the crystal set, not the diode. The pump diode is very cheap and high powers don't cost much in bulk, it is how efficient the crystals are at turning 808nm into 532nm. When we are dealing with a 500mW pump diode, anything over 150mW green out is really starting to push to the edge of possible efficiency for a cheap laser. Now I do know that Optotronics claims a 1W pump diode on some of their pens, but I really would like to test one of those myself before I'm going to buy that, a lot of heat would be generated by a 1W laser diode and 2x AAA batteries really couldn't keep up for long.

There are units from DX that are claimed to be 200mW that do put out over 150mW, but there are also a lot that don't. Jack probably only lets the best ones past because units over 150mW are rare.

I have an Optotronics 150mW laser. It does push out 150mW consistently (170mW+ with IR), but after a warm-up of about one minute. I don't see this as a defect though as I expected such from an extremely high-powered pen. The laser takes a long while to get warm, which either means a smaller than 1W 808 diode, or an underdriven 1W 808 diode. I'd suspect the latter given Optotronics's reputation for quality. Also, underdriven diodes tend to put out less heat than diodes driven at or above rated spec.

It's definitely NewWish - same body, box and brick-solid feel in the hand. Optotronics must pick only the best lasers to sell, regardless of power rating.

For a pen laser, the Optotronics is a breathtaking piece of equipment.

Sorry for the threadjack. I always look forward to reading a Styropyro Detailed Review (TM). Good to see decent 100mW as tested lasers coming down in price. How does the stability of this laser seem?

An underdriven 1W would make sense, but I still would be surprised that NewWish would go above and beyond to meet a company's specs, I could be wrong though. I'm still betting that Opto just hand picks the best units, I'm sure they are great lasers. If I had money I would buy one and review it to see how good they really are, but too bad I'm poor. :D

BTW, I'm glad to see somebody actually reads these reviews ;) This laser seems pretty stable over a decent period of use and after being warm or cold, but I don't have a meter so I don't know exactly how stable it is. It always can light matches though so that means it shouldn't be dropping too much power...

xbLazE

I'm quite interested in this laser, do you think it's suitable for me whose looking for a green burning laser that's below SGD $200?