Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2.5w 445nm laser.

dude.....

I can't believe nobody has adressed this, and if they did (only skimmed through all the replies, might've missed it) then I apologize to that person for trying not to explode right now.

Whether or not you're genuine and whatever the laser you're selling meters at I dont care, I noticed something critically wrong in your video that I cannot just pass by without speaking out against.

YOU ARE NOT WEARING SAFETY GOGGLES WHILE CONCENTRATING YOUR LASER ON A LPM WITHIN INCHES FROM YOUR FACE!!!!!!

While I'm sure you're aware LPF strongly supports and encourages laser eye safety, there are arguably situations where goggles may not be as necessary to use as others - such as outdoor beamshots and unfocused diodes. What you're demonstrationg here with a 2W+ laser indoors on a thermopile within inches from your eyes is deplorably stupid my friend.

I'm generally not one to strongly speak out against other peoples actions that have nothing to do with me, so please forgive me. But after seeing that I couldn't hold back, so for the love of all things good please use safety goggles when metering lasers that powerful :beer:

EDIT: Now I see it was addressed a few comments above, well done with encouraging this guys & I'm sorry I didn't get that far into the replies to notice before reacting.

Last edited:
Read down to my last response. I have them and was too stupid to put them on even when my wife who was taking the video had a pair on. I was too concerned with getting this video done that it slipped my mind I will make an honest effort to never let it happen again. I know the dangers which makes it all the more irresponsible on my end.

Last edited:
Well they're your eyes & you'll see over time why this should be taken much more seriously than passively. I'm not trying to bust your balls on any account, please dont take my reaction here as such. But, to share an error on video like forgetting goggles when using a laser that close to your face while centering a dot on a LPM is like watching someone in a wheelchair getting beat up.

Sounds like you got the message though so I'm done inadvertently taking your thread further out of direction that you initially intended, good luck with your sale :beer:

Last edited:
In short, congrats on an amazing build. Hope your eyes are ok! Freaked me out. I'm pretty terrified of anything but sky shots with my "puny" 1.25W SL blue without goggles! :D

You've had a rough time on this one. I hope things turn out well for all involved

Great laser!

Thanks man, This is not te last thing I am going to sell here so I need to keep my rep good. I really do not want to burn any bridges here. This web forum is no different than any of the other dozen that I frequent in that people will not take a bunch of crap off anyone.

I do have a question: I noticed that near the end of the run, the power starts to drop down below 2.5 watts. Is this a good indication of the duty cycle? Would it be safe to assume that ~35-40 seconds on is about what you are going to get?

I have an O-like 532 @ 300mW that does this, sits nice at around ~300mW and then starts to fall off. I've always assumed that would be the time to turn it off.

Or am I wrong and do you think this will have a longer duty cycle?

I am pretty sure I was getting ready to end the run right at 40 seconds and the beam moved off of the sensor a bit. I ran it for a full minute before that run and it did not seem to taper off sharply for me. Only the 1-2 mw per few seconds. I am sure at some point it will taper off sharply I do not know where that is or what the limiting factor would be to cause it. I can tell you that the diode is sinked very well and right after the 1 minute run I was feeling all over it to see if the material was heated up at all and as far as I could detect it was barely warmer than the room temp.

Last edited:
Generally I base duty cycle off of the sharp drop off point, from watching the LPM chart, on fresh batteries.

Btw, to anyone following, my previous issue with DK has been resolved.

Good luck with the sale:beer:

I am pretty sure I was getting ready to end the run right at 40 seconds and the beam moved off of the sensor a bit. I ran it for a full minute before that run and it did not seem to taper off sharply for me. Only the 1-2 mw per few seconds. I am sure at some point it will taper off sharply I do not know where that is or what the limiting factor would be to cause it. I can tell you that the diode is sinked very well and right after the 1 minute run I was feeling all over it to see if the material was heated up at all and as far as I could detect it was barely warmer than the room temp.

At the risk of sounding sacrilegious, I wonder how it would do with a 1.62W driver? Seems like that might buy you some diode life and still have you over 2.2w or so? I swore I had done all the buying I needed to do for now, but this makes me very hungry.

At the risk of sounding sacrilegious, I wonder how it would do with a 1.62W driver? Seems like that might buy you some diode life and still have you over 2.2w or so? I swore I had done all the buying I needed to do for now, but this makes me very hungry.

I do not think it is any secret that running these at 1.8a is kinda the limit between power and life for the diode. At the same time I think it is a fairly safe power to run them at and more so if you have a good diode. I was reading a thread here over the weekend that was talking about this very topic and how 1.8a is pretty safe but at the same time pushing the limit.

I can't believe you were looking right at the beam dot on the LPM sensor without safety glasses!

It's really not that big of a deal. That sensor absorbs most of the light and doesn't reflect hardly anything. If there was a mirror or white surface behind the sensor then I'd be concerned. I'm not afraid to admit that I rarely use my glasses when shining my lasers on the sensor. The spot appears not as bright as a 5mW on white paper.

I am guilty of that as well and I own at least six pairs of serious glasses. I also have two awesome Cats that hang in my lab with me a lot so I am always careful for there safety when testing.

I know there is no actual hazard in what DK did, and I think it's safe to say I use glasses maybe 5% of the time or less with my lasers... but personally imo the dot is just too bright at close range.

Jaxz

It is damn bright. Even my Maglight 1.4Watts already hurts my eyes when I'm shining up close on my thermopile, let alone 2.4w..........