Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

1W Laser for Self Defense in an Active Shooter Situation

AaronT

Hmmm...

I could see the use of a blinding laser attached to your rifle... If your pointing the rifle at them your at the justification point to be blinding them (less lethal)...

Maybe 2 mode (non perm blinding mode *strobe nausea* and screw your retinas for the rest of your life)...

Laser alone... I'd want something in the 1000 Watt Plus range...

Alaskan

LPF Site Supporter
i'm not sure if i'd rather be shot dead or blind.

Encap

Hmmm...

I could see the use of a blinding laser attached to your rifle... If your pointing the rifle at them your at the justification point to be blinding them (less lethal)...

Maybe 2 mode (non perm blinding mode *strobe nausea* and screw your retinas for the rest of your life)...

Laser alone... I'd want something in the 1000 Watt Plus range...
Except that there is no justification for blinding people. Less lethal in this case doesn't mean squat, you are still way over the line into depraved indifference territory meaning -- conduct so wanton, so deficient in a moral sense of concern, so lacking in regard for the life or lives of others, and so blameworthy as to warrant criminal liability.

What you are talking about has been banned from being used by 107 Nations even against an enemy in time of war so.....See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_on_Blinding_Laser_Weapons
The point being blinding as a method of warfare is a superfluous injury and a cause of unnecessary suffering, both of which are prohibited under existing international humanitarian law.

Last edited:

paul1598419

Also, see post # 115 on this thread on dazzlers. These ideas have been hashed out here so many times before this thread. You'd think people would learn, but some never will.

LSRFAQ

^^^^THIS^^^^^

Also, though a 1 watt laser strike in the eye would most definitely cause damage to the retina, it would less likely cause loss of all vision in the eye leaving some vision outside the central vision. But, who wants a large black obstruction to their central vision?
More correctly, who is going to pay your legal bills and talk the local prosecutor
out of charging you for using an unusual weapon while not fleeing the conflict?

Local cops here just lost a civil suit for shooting a felon in the back during an active robbery and partially paralyzing him. Even though he's not eligible for parole for like 15 years, he will certainly have 60,000$ plus interest to spend, which is far more then he ever expected from the cash register.

Low power lasers are not a good choice to enter combat with. If you tried to defend yourself with a laser against me, I'm just going to raise my arm to block a direct shot of the beam into the eye , look downwards, and charge at you like an angry linebacker.
I'm not a jock but with my body mass if I hit you low its going knock the wind out of you.

Steve.

Last edited:

droidlaser

So the following post apparently got me started out with a Negative Rep from RedCowboy - which was not posted for him - it was posted for the OP to help with alternatives better than a laser in an active shooter situation or similar. If that's the way this forum is going to be then I don't need it. When you are trying to help out why would someone give you a negative Rep and include a message or PM on the reason for the negative Rep that has a reference to death. Really ??? My post :

I've quite a bit of info from tactical trainers. First I'd suggest getting out of any state that won't issue a CCW. But if that isn't an option now then you do have the option to just carry anyway - something small enough to be in your pocket with a pocket protector so it doesn't print. Stay out of trouble - run from it and it's very unlikely you will get in trouble carrying concealed but if you find yourself in a situation where there is no escape and your life is in serious danger than it will be better to have a gun than to be killed and with any reasonable outcome at least you will be alive. And in many cases just having a gun can save you without ever having to shoot anyone if it is just some bad guy looking for trouble who thinks he can over power you to rob or do great physical harm or worse. So while you will be taking a small risk in carrying without a permit you can likely prevent a huge problem to yourself or your family. Just make sure you have control of your ego and don't lose it in a situation you could escape from. If you can't do that you may want to avoid carrying. Good to have training and look into the USCCA (United States Concealed Carry Association) also.

I've been getting SPAM email lately touting a laser as a weapon but it's typical BS from clueless spammers just looking to make a quick buck.

Second best tactical item to have is a very bright flashlight ~ 2000 Lumens in a pocket light is easy enough to find now and it is much easier to at least temporarily blind someone with that due to it's much wider beam coverage (and not subject to criminal prosecution like a laser) than a laser which I imagine would be hard to blind someone with before they see what's coming and have a chance to look away. The beam from a green laser strong enough to blind is going to be very noticeable unless you think you can hit them right in the eye immediately and I would think that to be very difficult. Pepper sprays in my opinion are nearly useless and dangerous to you if the wind shifts. Your best weapon is your brain - stay alert and take some tactical training to deal with a threat even if you don't have a gun. Just my 2 cents....

Been on the Internet since the 80's and I know forum etiquette. Just because I'm new on this forum doesn't mean you get to toss crap my way and expect me to take it RedCowboy. And what is the reference to death about ??? Is that a threat? I'd done here - over and out - gone. Hope you are happy with yourself.