Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1W Beam focused on Ophir head -damaged?

Hi guys!

Today i wanted to measure the power consumption of my beam expander and forgot to check the focus of the laser when measuring the power with my 20C ophir head. I hit it with a realy small spot (~1W@532) for about 5 seconds. How good are the chances that it is damaged now? I can´t tell anything on the surface area, but maybe inside? Readings seem to be ok, but maybe not 100%?

If there are no marks it will be fine. I did that with my laserbee when I first started and there are a couple of tiny dots and an extremely small line on the sensor...The ophir has a slightly grey finish which means it wont absorb quite so much of the light, the laserbee in comparision is black. The laserbee wasnt really affected however and I confirmed this later against the ophir.:beer:

Last edited:

ARG

The Ophir sensors have very high damage thresholds compared to hobby LPM's.

If you can't see anything it will be fine.

Don't listen to them guys that OPHIR head is trashed now and you can't just throw them away so you should pack it up and send it to me for proper disposal :whistle:

Same problem here. Measured an Hercules 700 with beam expander and a 2W Frankenstein with the same expander (with lenses recoated) with a focused dot for 1-2 sec max before defocusing the beam: now I can see two very tiny black dots ;( . I imagine that measuring a beam hitting those dots may produce a non reliable measurement.

Same problem here. Measured an Hercules 700 with beam expander and a 2W Frankenstein with the same expander (with lenses recoated) with a focused dot for 1-2 sec max before defocusing the beam: now I can see two very tiny black dots ;( . I imagine that measuring a beam hitting those dots may produce a non reliable measurement.

To be honest it doesnt really make much difference. As I mentioned I compared my old "slightly dotted ;)" LB 2.5 W to my new ophir and the measured output was almost identical. (Same laser, used after time for cooling). If you are concerned move the laser around on the sensor ie pick a non damaged area for the measurement and compare it. I think there were a couple of mWs difference on a 2.6 W 445...well within the tolerance of the readings anyway. :beer:

Last edited: