Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1W 405nm laser burning from 90 feet away !!! test update in post 9

DANG BRO!!
bad luck!!!

yeah you will need to remove the can window=something i have never done-(which will, in the future enable crap to get inside the die)

I think the most common mistake happens when using teflon tape to keep the lens stable- it takes VERY little to fry onto the surface of the front of the lens- the back side and/or the die window- I suggest you seek advice from some pros like DTR- maybe starting a new thread on the topic of de-canning (if one does not already exsist)

IIRC I read somethuing about this from Kot (Blord) and for sure Dave (daguin) knows how

I think years ago he decanned one for me.

I think that having to do that MAY also shorten the lifespan of the diode-

Just imagine if that were a 1W green diode--

Im sorry - no way will I trust my skillz with a diode that spendy--

teflon tape thats what got on there. never using that crap again. i had bunch on there :(

Last edited:
the teflon tape isn't to blame. probably had too much and some overlap. when I use it, I make sure it doesn't overlap the lens edge, trimming it if needed, and I only do 1 wrap, with just enough overlap for it to stick to itself. if that is too tight to screw in, don't force it, take the lens out, and remove more of the teflon tape. sometimes only a narrow band of it is needed around the lens.

here's hoping you can recover such a nice diode. it's one of my personal favorites.

I use the g lens to get max power, but it's a painful trade-off. It's always nice to be able to swap

It's good divergence to be sure, though I still think the LPC 826 beats it

Last edited:
Shaken--"the teflon isn't to blame"

He is right.. when it happened to me I was to blame not the tape-lol

-I ditto him on using the least size piece and I examine inside with a loupe when you put in a new lens in.. -

& If you ever see any odd artiufacts STOP and look on the outside if there is nothing there then it is likely inside-

ru124t

I have the same 405nm 1.1 Watt in a c-11 side clicky host . It most Definitely will burn at 90 feet! It is probably the most dangerous laser I own but the most fun! I also noticed something else the other night while using it outside. As soon as I turn it or a 445nm on many bats seem to appear. ANybody else have this happen? It is really noticeable with the 405!

I have the same 405nm 1.1 Watt in a c-11 side clicky host . It most Definitely will burn at 90 feet! It is probably the most dangerous laser I own but the most fun! I also noticed something else the other night while using it outside. As soon as I turn it or a 445nm on many bats seem to appear. ANybody else have this happen? It is really noticeable with the 405!

That is very interesting, I didn't know bats lived that far north. Many bats can't see but I know not all of them. Do you know what species of bats live in your area?

Alan

ru124t

I think they are brown bats. THough I live in Newfoundland, it was 32c here today. Maybe me or the laser attracted insects which in turn attracted the bats? I don't know, this is like the third time this has happened. BTW the oldest settlement in north America is here and the most easterly point of land as well!

Tmack

i have decanned a 9mm, and m140 before with the drill and razor method. in theory it should work, but i have yet to hear anyone decanning a diode so small. only one way to find out!! :)

Last edited:
It sometimes happen. I usually just break the glass. And it fixes it :)

In anyway , if Tmack ^^ :) can decan it .. or just try to .. it is a good idea to try.

I have built about 5 of these ( BDR-209 ) so far ... Awesome burners :beer: