Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Never trust the stickers on the lasers :) Never.

Yep, it's a green laser, so make sure to correctly insert your battery. Try it and tell us if it runs.

hope you bought some safety glasses with that laser, if not dont use it until you do! you will kill your eyes!

Its working now also do I need glasses even when using out side ? Will it effect ur eyes by lookin at the beem or only when shined in eye

if you only point it in the sky then no glasses are needed. if you are pointing it at any object then yes you need glasses since the light will reflect off objects

if you only point it in the sky then no glasses are needed. if you are pointing it at any object then yes you need glasses since the light will reflect off objects

For a 50mW greenie?

C'mon man be real. It's only really dangerous in case of direct reflection, such as from mirror or brushed/polished metal surfaces. Otherwise it's perfectly fine for indoor and outdoor use.

Be careful with your laser and you'll be safe!

Eudaimonium, i respect your opinion but beg to differ (not saying your wrong but this is my personal take on laser safety). its only 50mW of 532nm but as im sure you know, the IR is unknown and there is a good chance the laser is way over spec. how many "5mW" pen lasers are truly 50-100mW sleepers.

IMO the only laser id ever use a laser without glasses is a true 5mW pointer that i personally tested to be 5mW. I value my eyes way too much to chance an accident reflection into them.

only time i use my current lasers without glasses is when pointing into the sky since the chance my 1.5W will reflect off the moon back at me is super slim to no existent.

IsaacT

I don't use glasses for any of my lasers. Boom! Not a popular opinion, but here are my reasons:

1. Take note of the lack of Class IV lasers in my sig. I don't have the 800mW yet, will be using glasses with that.
2. I don't use my lasers for burning much at all anymore. When I do burn, it is only to light a match. I take all necessary safety steps.
3. I am very aware of my surroundings and have a very good feel for where a laser will go if it hits a mirror.
4. I like my lasers for their color.

My Safety Glasses are always close by, but for 100-200mW lasers I accept and understand the risks and dangers involved and use my lasers without glasses only after making sure there are no people in harms way and that the beam will not directly reflect back at me. Diffuse reflections off non-mirrored objects offer very low risks at this power level.

Any one no the best charger and battery brand for my laser it come with a charger but its cheap chinease one havent a clue how long to charge it for and what is the best brand I have a 3.7 v 2400mah ultrafire its the 1st time chargin it its been on over 2hours any help appreciatd thank u for looking

Ok before I give you any advice== do you see the word 'location' under my user name??
its Texas- which is in the USA so if I have a question i will get better answers because NO ONE will have to make a guess where I live. From reading more of your posts I see you are in the UK- so i guess that is not something you need to keep a secret --right??
SO PLZ go to your personal profile and ADD UK as yr location- Its not just a good idea its really needed to give you any help/advice that is good.

_________ OK about 18650 and a CHEAP charger-- If I was in the market to buy--- say ...ropes for mountain climbing and I wanted to know where to buy the CHEAPEST would you not think.... WTH?? cheap?? duh!!

Here is what can and HAS happened- you buy a cheap charger only a few $$ and maybe it even comes with some 18650s- You plug it in and put your new batts inside and think- COOL -' IMMA charging my new batts...'

BUT here is what you need to know- leaving Li-ion batts overnight in a charger can have a bad ending-- at best your charger may fail you may smell that bad burn electronics smell and if you look inside you may find some parts that have turned black OR much worse you may set your home on fire-

so best case--you then must buy another charger- so thats money thrown away- cheap dual chargers have but one circuit for both sides- they are never 'smart' chargers that 'know' when the batt is full and quit charging-

So cheap chargers are a dumb move- get a good one and never need to worry or buy another-- get an "intelligent' charger like the NiteCore i2 or i4
You can leave batts in w/o worry- it charges ALL types and almost all sizes of rechargeable batts- each side has its own LEDS and circuit-
Items that come with a 'free' charger...you almost never get good chargers-

they are worth every penny you did not pay-

while the odds say you will never experience any of these problems why risk just to save a few $$$- if you follow the auctions for NITECORE chargers on ebay you may with some effort win an auction with free shipping and pay as little as 14$usd- for the last charger you may ever need to buy I cannot see going any other way with this..penny wise can be pound foolish.. forget cheap- I could sell you one with two high quality 18650s but I only sell to CONUS buyers- so I will give you this free advice instead..

ALSO I will give you a +rep if you can PLEASE spare the time to fill out the rest of your personal profile page...TY hak in TX USA
)))))))))))) edit @wannaburn...

I don't use glasses for any of my lasers. Boom! Not a popular opinion, but here are my reasons:

1. Take note of the lack of Class IV lasers in my sig. I don't have the 800mW yet, will be using glasses with that.
2. I don't use my lasers for burning much at all anymore. When I do burn, it is only to light a match. I take all necessary safety steps.
3. I am very aware of my surroundings and have a very good feel for where a laser will go if it hits a mirror.
4. I like my lasers for their color.

My Safety Glasses are always close by, but for 100-200mW lasers I accept and understand the risks and dangers involved and use my lasers without glasses only after making sure there are no people in harms way and that the beam will not directly reflect back at me. Diffuse reflections off non-mirrored objects offer very low risks at this power level.
___

I both agree and find fault at the same time with the above- this is not your first rodeo- you have developed a kinda learned instinct on how to use your lasers safely and w/o the need to keep eyeware on 24/7 with 'experience' we vets have learned how to stay out of the 'danger zones' I will also say that except when doing graphs- divergence measurements- setting up alignment and the like i do not wear my glasses- BUT we should keep in mind that most newcomers do not have this knowledge that allows us to stay(reasonablely) safe-

So I highly suggest that those new to lasers wear their glasses- and just peak over them once you know you are not in a danger zone- The lenses in our eyes are much like a magnifing glass and the sun-
alone the sun will not set paper on fire BUT with a glass the suns rays are concentrated to a fine point that will quickly set things on fire- the opening of our eyes is around 7mm normally- so if the beam form a 50mW green hits you eyes you frist off- cannot blink fast enough to stop potential danger and secondly the lens of our eye will magnify that beam like the suns rays and you will burn a spot on your retina- no pain as we have no receptors in our eyes- our brain will 'fill in' what our eyes cannot see-

This is a 'general' rule of thumb to remember- if you are around lasers and at any time you see medium to strong 'after images' then you have already exposed your eyes to potential danger-THE Only lasershow audience scanning that creates(almost) NO AFTER-IMAGES is a safe- show- and also enjoyable-
when we see the after images that is our brain trying to get back to 'normal' so while that is going on we are no longer seeing/enjoying the show.

also.. any lasersist who is getting an eye exam needs to let the doctor know that they have been around lasers so the doctor will know to take a good look at your retinas for black/burnt spots.
AFAIK these are not easily fixed.. so prevention is best.. nope that this has been helpful-

Last edited: