Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

16x BDR-209 and electrostatic charges

Hello,

I'm running 16x BDR-209 @270 mA with LM317 in a CNC machine.
Last week i killed this diode with a little electrostatic discharge created touching the ring of the lens (The driver is connected to computer ground via USB cable).
It's posible to ground the case of laser (unconnected pin) to avoid this problem in future ?

Hello,

Last week i killed this diode with a little electrostatic discharge created touching the ring of the lens (The driver is connected to computer ground via USB cable).
It's posible to ground the case of laser (unconnected pin) to avoid this problem in future ?

Hi,
Would you not do before to buy Neje Laser Engraver ?

hi,
Sorry a little late but ESD protocol is a practice i use all the time i build anything , hey you never know when that creeps into a great build, so why take a chance.

Rich:)

Eracoy

The BDR-209 is a notoriously delicate diode. I have personally lost a couple just to seeming chance. As electrostatic discharge is already a big risk with laser diodes, extra caution is advised.

Benm

ESD is a concern with any laser diode, but something like the BDR-209 might also be pretty prone to premature failure due to people driving them very far above absolute maximum ratings.

If it functions well even briefly before failure the cause is not that likely to be ESD.

I would have expected once this diode was mounted and electrically driven its failure was probably not due to ESD. These didoes are notorious for failing especially if driven over 500 mA and in an engraver, with the constant on and off, it most likely just failed.

When it broke, the diode was powered at low current (30mA) for focus. By touching the ring I created an electric discharge destroing the laser.
The discharge route was in sequence

1. focus ring,
2. laser case,
3. laser substrate,
4. laser negative terminal,
5. ground of controller/driver,
6. USB ground,
7. PC ground,
8. Main ground.

If the case had been grounded, the path would not cross the laser chip.

The doubt is as follows: can the case (an therefore the laser substrate) be connected to the negative without damaging the diode ?

Radim

Yep, any diode is susceptible to shock.

To save this ever happening again.
Always remember your ground screw. ;)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/ground-screw-77963.html <-- link

:D

Just be careful in future.

Ground screw can solve everything, from electrostatic diacharge over world poverty to global warming. :D

Btw when I was changing components in computers long time ago, it was usually advised in the instructions to regulary discharge any tools (mainly screwdrivers) before they are used by touching grounded stuff like central heating radiators etc. You might consider to make a cable to socket where only ground pin is connected and use this for discharging (but make sure you know which one it is, or you might kill yourself). Also it is good not to throw away various anti static bags, they are useful. I mention that because somebody might find it helpful.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, any object including your hand can carry static charge and must be discharged before handling delicate components.
Anti-static bags are incredibly useful.

Radim

Yes. If you are in dark room you might even see the spark, when you touch some grounded stuff. And anytime this happens between me and my girlfriend I like to say it is just love sparking between us. ;)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I just found a time to use that vomit emoticon. :barf: Ha, not really. :crackup:

Hello,

Why isn't the CNC frame and head assembly grounded
to begin with ??
Using the negative of a USB cable does not give a good
solid grounding point.

Jerry