Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12X Diode Window Artifact

I have had a BDR-205 @ 305ma for a few weeks now, running beautifully I might add. It's inside an Ehgemus host.

When looking at the dot on the wall yesterday, I noticed it didn't look very clean, almost like two dots. I unfocused it to a huge circle with my 405-G1 to look at the dot when larger. My heart sank to see a large blob sitting right in the middle of the dot, one that would not rotate along with the lens.

I knew that something was up with my diode window..

I unscrewed the lens, (something I rarely do) to have a look at the window, (with the batteries out) and I when I looked very closely I saw a very tiny mark sitting right in the middle of the window.

It's so small, that I cannot tell if it's a chunk of something sitting on the window that just needs to be removed, or if its a window scratch/crack.

I don't know how either of these could have come about however. I have not dropped the build, and I rarely take the lens off completely. So I don't understand why the mark is there, but I would appreciate any advice on identifying the mark, and finding a solution to removing the mark if there is such a solution so possible.

I'm also on a budget, and replacing the diode is not my favorite option right now. Is there someone that would be willing to check it out with proper equipment? I would be willing to send this to someone if they have dealt with this kind of thing before.

However, ANY advice is much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

-Tyler

daguin

Slipstream is probably on track here. Something, burned onto the diode window. Be gentle, but you should be able to dislodge it.

Peace,
dave

Thank you both for the help. Should I use a dry cotton swab? Or one dipped in my lens cleaner solution?

You need to look at it with a jewelers loop first to see exactly what it is. Could be a number of things.

loop.jpg

Edit: Wow you guys are fast.

Here is a photo of the spot without a lens... Just the bare diode...

If it were a foreign object, would the spot not look a little more opaque?

16659_1200887905169_1317690211_30538716_1232744_n.jpg

UGH...

try with a dry Q-tip gently pass it over the window 1 time and see it made a difference.

If it's loose, a blast of canned duster gas might do it. Don't blow into it yourself!

HMike

This is how I would play with this one. The first rule NEVER touch the lens if you don't have too, in this case a diode window. get a can of Dusts Off or dust and lint remover or key board cleaner what ever you want to call it get some air in a can and try that first !
2cr4yyr.jpg

don't blow on it with your mouth you could end up spitting on the lens. also get a very soft small brush I use a wommans makup brush as it has very fine brissles that would never scrch a lens !
2m7dctc.jpg

If that still won't dislodge what ever is there then it is time to go past the first rule and on to the second BE VERY CARFULL WHEN TOUCHING YOUR LENS or hairmightgrowontheplamsofyourhands LOL, Realy use a clean Q-Tip and clean acetone and try to wipe in a circular motion use light strokes at first and increae pressure only sighty if you still can't clean it off it may be burned to the window in which case you will need to remove the window. if you can not I can remove the window and the front of the can or the whole can for you for a small fee.
Hope this helps, everone should have these supplies to clean there lens's with it's the attention to the small details that make the differance between good and best !

Pyro...

Last edited:
Hey thanks Pyro!

The dry q-tip method didn't touch the mark...

When I applied some optical purosol to the q-tips, the "mark" seemed to go away.

The picture below is the result after the wet q-tip cleaning like you all suggested. The die's pattern still looks different. It appears "uniformly splotchy". I can't really describe it any other way. However, when examining the diode window, the mark is still there!

When I focused the beam back down, it made a clean dot again, and the violet 6" halo disappeared.

Success?

16659_1200926866143_1317690211_30538819_2205489_n.jpg

Alright, the window still doesn't look right... and the laser is not burning at all like it used to.

I'll be sending it Pyro folks... thanks for your help.

I would be glad to help you out but I must ask have you contacted the person who built this laser he my want to have first crack at repairing it, I would suggest you contact them and ask if they want to do this if not I would be glad to work on it for you !

Pyro...

Alright, the window still doesn't look right... and the laser is not burning at all like it used to.

I'll be sending it Pyro folks... thanks for your help.

I haven't asked Mohrenburg about it, but he's stopped selling everything and is refunding everyone for some reason. I think something must have come up...

daguin

The change of pattern shows that it is indeed some foriegn substance on the window. Whatever "cleaner" you used left a coating on the window. Clean it again with acetone (not nail polish remover). Use several now. Use them only once. The idea is to get all the residue off of the window and have it dry "clean."

Peace,
dave

I would venture and say that what you had on your window, was a chunk of the black plastic threads used in the aixiz lens holder, which then burnt itself onto the window (happend to me).

I know you are using Jayrobs lens which is contained in the metal lens holder, but there could have been some of the black plastic left on the aixiz module from the previous holder. Do you play with the focus of your laser regularly?

I have had the same thing happen to me a while ago on a PHR laser, I just used some isopropyl alcohol and managed to get it off. I would agree with daguin, whatever solvent you used to get the muck off, left residue.

I had that happen before, crap on the lens only got worse, i ended up de-canning the diode and now the output pattern is flawless :D