Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12x BR DIODES

You can buy the sled now. It is just inside the drive and costs only $203 :crackup:
HMike

FrancoRob;

You are getting different slopes than I did.

The threshold current must be subtracted from the current reading to get the slopes reported in the diode data sheets. I estimated the threshold currents to be the same.

I took (Power out / Current In - Threshold Current).

I got 1.42 mw/ma for the Nichia.

I got 1.43 mw/ma for the Quisp diode.

That is only a 0.7% difference.

LarryDFW

Yes, Larry, I know :yh:, your formula is: [Po/(Ci-Ct)]

Using this assumption, the "Relevant Efficiency" results are:

Nichia: 1.422222
Quisp: 1.430769 while for GoldenDragon the "Re" is:

GoldenDragon: 1.690566

My attempt was not to disagree with your data, but to make a further and simply rough estimation in what point of the 12x BR general "Efficiency" range the three diodes could be collocated....

But we have seen that, also if a general technical specification for common characteristics has been surely agreed between the 12x manufacturers, diodes individual characteristics (read "efficiency") may vary substantially between each other, so a preliminary "milestone" will be obtained only from the Igor murder tests.... results! :bowdown:

Last edited:
Dave and HMike:

Your capability to "express" concepts in such amusing form is priceless :D! It's a pleasure to read from you....

I've already thrown 4 of those red diodes away. If you tell me where it is located on the LG 8X drive I will happily harvest one for you. I just take out the 8X diode, the magnets and toss the rest.

mfo

I've already thrown 4 of those red diodes away. If you tell me where it is located on the LG 8X drive I will happily harvest one for you. I just take out the 8X diode, the magnets and toss the rest.

I very much appreciate your offer Luke. However, the only drives these are located in that I know of are the Pioneer BDR-203 and BDR-205 sleds. I believe the LG drives have the LOC reds?

those flat red diodes do have some potential though.... it's still a powerful red diode. it might not hurt to hold onto them. they are located on the same side of the LG sled as the BR diode, about 1.25 inches away, positioned at an angle. I have the one out of the sled I botched the job harvesting the BR diode from. (Yes, I killed an 8x diode harvesting it) *cry*

Trying to convince myself to buy a 12x instead of another 8x to complete a custom host I have been working on, but I am having trouble convincing myself to spend even MORE when I fried the 8x diode. Anyone know if the 12x pioneer sleds are easier to harvest then the LG 8x? I am not certain if I just hadn't grounded myself well enough first, or if I somehow screwed up the diode trying to get it out of that sled and heatsink which was a real pain.

I botched the job harvesting the BR diode from. (Yes, I killed an 8x diode harvesting it) *cry*

I'm afraid of doing the same thing, so when I finally get around to an 8x or 12x build I will probably send it off to one of the resident pro's to assemble it in my kryton groove for me.

daguin

Anyone know if the 12x pioneer sleds are easier to harvest then the LG 8x? I am not certain if I just hadn't grounded myself well enough first, or if I somehow screwed up the diode trying to get it out of that sled and heatsink which was a real pain.

The heat sink on the Pioneed BDR 203 and 205 are MUCH easier to remove the diode from. In the LG the diode is surrounded by that "solid" square heat sink. The Pioneers have a much less substantial "framework" style heat sink.

Removing the diode form the Pioneer heat sink is almost as easy as removing the PHR from its heat sink. You just grab it on both ends with pliers and twist back and forth gently. The heat sink just breaks off.

Removing the heat sink from the sled is even easier. In the Pioneer sled, the heat sink is just glued onto the outside of the sled. You just pop it off with a small screwdriver or knife blade and snip through the ribbon cable.

Go to the "tutorials" board and check out the two stickys about the 8X and 12X.

Peace,
dave

I have absoluely no problem harvesting any 8X diodes. So long as you have all the right tools it is pretty easy. I have been buying the LG 8X drives because they are the cheapest. So far I have a 100% successful extraction rate for 8X diodes. Maybe there should be more extraction tutorials.

If the heatsinks on the Pioneer 12x are more like the PHR then I might be ok as I haven't had any problems harvesting those... eventhough I use a clipper to cut the sink instead of twisting it to break it.

edit: More extraction tutorials would surely be welcome as I am sure it is a point of apprehension for most starting out in DIY lasers.