Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1 watt lazer help a N00b

i would like to know what i would need i want to buy this
808nm 1000 mw high power burning laser diode 1 watt - eBay (item 270638664446 end time Sep-29-10 02:18:22 PDT)
but i do not know how large of saftey goggles (nm wise) if i were to Focus it with Glass optics http://laserpointerforums.com/images/smilies/evilgrin07.gif
Where should i buy a large driver from? (no i do not want any smaller I need it that large) and What power suply should ido i want to put it in a flashlight case
with fans on topusing a computer heat sink or possibly an old Auto part heat sink

You also don't want that diode they took the pic of. That one is guaranteed to have crap all over the diode window from burning at that proximity.

ped

^^ not to mention the burning is probably coming from the temperature of the (un heatsunk) diode...and check out that PSU :poke:

I bought 5 of these exact ones from this seller.
He's pretty good, sends 6 if you buy 5 but his communication sucks!
No feedback, didn't say when he shipped etc.
You will need a "9mm diode housing with glass lens"es and the driver can be a DDL (look it up on this site) I just pressed a couple of em into modules tonight.
They make a line when you are not focused.
You can use a "night shot" camcorder if you want to see the dot but "IR" is damn dangerous. Your eyes matter more than a burnt spot on the wall, buy some goggles!

Folder

OP: It's 'laser'; It can't be spelled any other way as it's an acronym.

Morgan

This is a really bad idea for a n00b, IMHO. IR is dangerous; 1W of any colour is dangerous. The two together are a recipe for disaster. Start with much less power and work up. 100mW of a home built photon generator is more than satisfying, not too dangerous and cheap when you over cook things! :D You will also miss the steady increase in power, (and the equipment to deal with it!), as your experience,grows.

If you've never built a laser before then start by stripping cheap, and probably broken, DVD re-writers and learn the basics. This way you don't risk your eyesight, anyone else's eyesight, your property from fire and your wallet as much. Read plenty of info here, (check out the links in my sig below), and go slowly. A first post stating intent to build a 1W 808nm laser is folly. Please put this idea to bed for the moment.

Don't forget to introduce yourself in the, "Welcome", section and read the, "Rules and Stickies", section too.

Oh... And BTW... Welcome to LPF, :wave:.

M
:)

thank yall ok so is 330mw @ 990 nm good could i see that. i know 880 is ir i do not have any dvd things laying around and want to light fabric or burn plastic in some guys signiture i saw a graph said 990 is visible this diode is huge

990nm is further into IR then 808nm... you need to read up on this forum more and stop asking questions that could be answered easily after 5 minutes searching

Maybe the OP should try a 450mW 405nm laser first? or if you must have power, do a 445nm kit build. I feel those would be much safer than IR, at this power, visible > invisible.

Yes but where can i get one my budget is 60$ and i want glass optics. i have much electronics, soldering skills. Possibly a one watt?? i really love burning things like cotton or a safe way to light and test thing from a distance Eg Homemade fireworks. and if i wore safter gooogle and used a button switch and wired it w/ a speaker and led when main power switch is open i would have two sworches one flip one button in a 6V Flashlight case

Last edited:
you need to read alot more and i suggest ppl stop helping. you want way too much power for not knowing anything.

michael

If you want to light things from a distance I suggest you look into electrical igniters. Can be had from any hobby shop that handles model rocket stuff, and going to be many thousand times more reliable than trying to light a fuse with a laser from any more than six inches away.

Toke

I recommend you start by buying a 5mW green pen off ebay.
When you have seen how bright that is, you can try buy a 50mW green.

Then you can consider how dangerous 1000mW is, difference in visibility of wavelengths makes no difference in it's ability to burn e.g. retinas.

And Welcome here. :)